News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I noticed some people mentioning Ari Goldkind's name on this board, so I decided to look him up, and I have to say he is a really impressive, intelligent guy. This is a pretty long video, but I urge everyone to take the time and watch it in its entirety. I think he would be a fantastic mayor. It would be nice to see him get enough name recognition in order to be invited to future debates. I think he would smoke the other candidates in the debates if he had a fair shot at getting his voice heard.

[video=youtube;wZvg2Gvy3fk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZvg2Gvy3fk[/video]

Last edited:
I noticed some people mentioning Ari Goldkind's name on this board, so I decided to look him up, and I have to say he is a really impressive, intelligent guy. This is a pretty long video, but I urge everyone to take the time and watch it in its entirety. I think he would be a fantastic mayor. It would be nice to see him get enough name recognition in order to be invited to future debates. I think he would smoke the other candidates in the debates if he had a fair shot of getting his voice heard.

There's a "Mayoral Platform Discussion" with only Goldkind and Soknacki on August 26. It should be wonderfully geeky.

http://whyshouldicare.ca/event/toronto-municipal-election-mayoral-platform-discussion/

Everyone: I have a question to ask concerning the October 2014 Toronto Mayor Election:

Is there a single candidate running or can run that is known by voters that can attract a wide range of support
or is Toronto's electorate divided too much under left/right political spectrum polarization to make this possible?

I had thought that David Soknacki would have been acceptable to those left-of-center voters but after reading
the replies I got after I mentioned that he should go up against John Tory directly I now think otherwise...

The reason I bring this up is by having a strong single Toronto Mayor candidate with a wide range of support it
would deny RF any chance of being re-elected in a split election...I know that I have brought this up in the past
but I never thought of directly posting my views...I value UT opinions very much and wonder what everyone
thinks about this subject...

Long Island Mike

Last edited:
Everyone: I have a question to ask concerning the October 2014 Toronto Mayor Election:

Is there a single candidate running or can run that is known by voters that can attract a wide range of voters
or is Toronto's electorate divided too much under left/right political spectrum polarization to make this possible?

I had thought that David Soknacki would have been acceptable to those left-of-center voters but after reading
the replies I got after I mentioned that he should go up against John Tory directly I now think otherwise...

The reason I bring this up is by having a strong single Toronto Mayor candidate with a wide range ofsupport it
would deny RF any chance of being re-elected in a split election...I know that I have brought this up in the past
but I never thought of directly posting my thoughts...I value UT opinions very much and wonder what everyone

Long Island Mike

I think the answer is "no," but I blame the 10-month election period more than anything else. The length is a momentum killer. Eventually, non-diehard people just get tired of the faces/yapping and start splintering off to their preferred devil-you-know faction. That's not necessarily a bad thing. At least we have a warts-and-all view of the candidates. But, man, it sure gets tiresome.

Is there a single candidate running or can run that is known by voters that can attract a wide range of voters

The reason I bring this up is by having a strong single Toronto Mayor candidate with a wide range ofsupport it
but I never thought of directly posting my thoughts...I value UT opinions very much and wonder what everyone

Long Island Mike

Mike, I believe the anti-Ford vote will coalesce. While I would prefer Sok (he was budget chief for my favourite mayor), the overwhelming probability is that candidate will be Chow or Tory. If Tory can continue to present a decent guy image, it very well might be him - he needs to convince the centre left he's not too right wing and will beat Ford. However, Chow is the 'natural' candidate for the left and center left and will probably lead in the fall with some progressive plank. If it resonates with her base AND the centre, she wins in a walk. The big Q is what does Tory or Chow propose that is positive (they will both also wheel out the big negative guns after Labour Day, I expect)?

Whichever of them can catch the center's attention wins going away. Not a bad thing, as either will probably be a pretty good Mayor, and the end of Ford is really the only thing necessary to make this election a win for Toronto.

I think Tory could win the votes from centrists and progressives, and subsequently this race if he comes out in support for things like Eglinton Connects.

someone said it on here before, but i gotta say it again...

i wish someone would run a poll in which ford was left out. if the "top contender" choices were only tory, chow, soks, and stintz, without ford (i.e. less "need" for strategic voting) then what would each of their percentages be?

someone said it on here before, but i gotta say it again...

i wish someone would run a poll in which ford was left out. if the "top contender" choices were only tory, chow, soks, and stintz, without ford (i.e. less "need" for strategic voting) then what would each of their percentages be?
Why? Ford is not dropping out. You might as well run a poll where tory or chow drop out. It's not going to happen.

Only the most loyal of Ford Nayshun would vote for Doug in that case. His approval rating is worse than Rob's.

Tory criticizes timing, funding plan in TTC report for service improvement

From CP24, at this link:

Mayoral candidate John Tory is slamming the timing of a report calling for public transit service improvements, saying a vote on it will be rushed without a thorough discussion of how to fund the report’s recommendations.

At a press conference outside Union Station Monday morning, Tory said it is curious that the report, which comes with an annual multi-million dollar price tag, was released just two days before it will be presented at a meeting of the Toronto Transit Commission’s board.

“How can you possibly make thoughtful decisions on behalf of fare paying customers and the taxpayers of Toronto when you have a half-billion-dollar program you’re asked to ask questions about and vote on in five or six or seven days,†Tory said. “So, I don`t know what the timing of this was all about but I just know it’s not the right way to make decisions.â€

The TTC report, titled Opportunities to Improve Transit Service in Toronto, makes a number of staff recommendations aimed at speeding up and increasing service. The TTC board will meet Tuesday to discuss the proposed changes, which include implementing all-door boarding on all streetcar routes, expanding the overnight bus and streetcar network, and changing the transfer system to allow riders to travel in any direction within a two-hour time period.

The report forecasts a capital cost of $288 million spread out over five years, and an annual operating cost increasing in increments from $19 million in 2015 to $69 million in 2018.

If adopted by the board, the report’s recommendations will still need approval from city council.

Tory pointed out that the report is proposed to go to the last council meeting, just 10 weeks before the municipal election. He said the process gives very little time for government departments, agencies and politicians to have a thorough discussion on where the funding for the proposed changes will come from.

“It is not responsible to have a report that suggests this level of expenditure of a half a billion dollars without spelling out how it would be paid for, and I think it’s less than responsible for people frankly to vote on it without asking that question and demanding an answer,†Tory said.

Tory said he himself supports many of the report’s recommendations, but argued that they cannot be implemented without raising property taxes, charging a levy or increasing fares. He added that the TTC board has an obligation to explore whether funding for the recommendations can come from its own internal budget, and to outline other sources of revenue.

TTC spokesperson Brad Ross responded to Tory’s comments by saying that staff recognize there are funding constraints when they make their recommendations, and that discussions on funding will follow during budget deliberations which will take place toward the end of this year.

“It’s well within staff’s purview to make recommendations for transit improvement to its board recognizing that there are funding constraints,†Ross told CP24.com.

Appearing on CP24’s Live at Noon with Stephen LeDrew, TTC CEO Andy Byford said the city will need to make difficult choices about which of the recommendations can be funded, but these are ideas that the board and council should start thinking about.

“Tomorrow, we’re asking for an agreement in principle from the TTC board that these are the sorts of things we wish council to consider,†Byford said. “Obviously, council will need to find the money to do that. We recognize that that’s not going to be easy, but what we’re saying is these are ideas based upon our professional advice and from what customers tell us.â€

Rival mayoral candidate Olivia Chow said she welcomes the TTC report as a road map that paves the way for “moving people faster now.†She has advocated the expansion of bus service in the city before, but like the report, has not made suggestions on how to fund the expansion.

“It’s up to the TTC, the experts to decide,†Chow said. “It will probably mean hiring a few more bus drivers, creating some jobs. It may mean some maintenance workers to upgrade some of those buses, but that’s the investment we need to make in order to move people faster.â€

Mayoral incumbent Rob Ford said he also welcomes the recommendations in the TTC report, but that he does not believe the honour system allowing metropass holders to board on the back of streetcars will work effectively.

“We have to either hire somebody to check if these people are actually paying or there must be some other operating expenses to double-check if people pay,†Ford said. “Now you have a driver who does that all in one. Who’s going to check at the back of the doors? We’re going to lose a lot of money.â€

Earlier this month, Byford told reporters that he hopes to hire about 100 new fare inspectors at a cost of $8 million annually – a cost he believes will be offset by the deterrent effect that gets people to pay their fares. Fare evasion costs the TTC $20 million each year.

Ford said he will respond to the report in greater detail Wednesday morning from his campaign headquarters.

Seems to me that Tory is trying to get some of the Ford followers to come to his team.

Back