News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Chow's answer to this question shows the lack of depth in her platform and her inability to say anything outside of talking points: "The population of the Greater Toronto Area will grow by more than 2 million in the next two decades. How would you, as mayor, make Toronto a place that can handle a growing population and receive this influx of newcomers?"

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...ir-plans-for-torontos-future/article21047032/

Her answers?
- I'm an immigrant so I understand what it's like to come here
- 15,000 new subsidized housing units (so basically nothing for anyone else)
- 3,000 daycare spaces (again, a drop in the bucket since half will be subsidized)
- Token jobs for young people
- Support TTC transit priorities (this is good, at least)

Even Doug Ford had a better answer!

Doug Ford's answer amounts to taking credit for other people's work and his usual array of lies and fanciful subways schemes. Someone you missed Chow's comment about the DRL.

Tory just blathers on about SmartTrack and his business experience with business people which will readily translate into more businesses and business people in the city.

Because, on balance, I think Tory would make a better mayor than Chow, and ultimately it will be Kathleen Wynne who decides whether Smarttrack gets built as proposed. Don't you understand how election campaigns actually work?

You said, "planners can figure out what will actually get built, as always happens". In case you haven't been paying attention to municipal politics, no that's not what always happens. Transit planning in this city is dictated by someone's political needs, not facts or expert advice. The Scarborough subways is one of the best examples of that.

I just saw a city news release that said that yesterday saw the highest-ever voter turnout for the first day of advance voting. Let's hope the trend continues.

You said, "planners can figure out what will actually get built, as always happens". In case you haven't been paying attention to municipal politics, no that's not what always happens. Transit planning in this city is dictated by someone's political needs, not facts or expert advice. The Scarborough subways is one of the best examples of that.

Fair enough, but I don't think that the mayor of Toronto has that much pull when it comes to provincially-funded projects. The Scarborough subway push was biggest during the provincial election, with Scarborough candidates falling over themselves to prove their worth as "subway champions".

I should have said "Politicians with money to dole out will decide what gets built, as always"...

Fair enough, but I don't think that the mayor of Toronto has that much pull when it comes to provincially-funded projects. The Scarborough subway push was biggest during the provincial election, with Scarborough candidates falling over themselves to prove their worth as "subway champions".

I should have said "Politicians with money to dole out will decide what gets built, as always"...

All transit projects that are currently funded and planned (and some under construction) would go ahead with Tory as mayor anyways.

Spadina ext, Eglinton, Finch, Sheppard, Scarborough/Danforth ext.

GO RER might have some modifications, re-branding as SmartTrack, fare integration or stations added. All the work being done on Georgetown & Stouffville corridors are going ahead anyways.

So overall, almost no changes to the current provincial transit plans.

My issue with Chow is that she wants to raise taxes to fund more social programs. I'd have little issue supporting this at the provincial level with income tax. Not so with property taxes that are regressive. If I'm going to pay regressive taxes, at least let it fund infrastructure. And unfortunately, the only real priority she has is her bus plan. What's her plan to address the road repair backlog for example?

And quite frankly, having then expanded social housing, daycare, etc. I don't trust her to then not raise taxes beyond inflation to fund further expansions. All this let's the province off scot-free for their inaction and/or cuts on the social services file.

Her platform would prove great, were she running for Premier. Not so much when I look at it as a municipal ratepayer.

Just listening to the debate on Newstalk 1010.

"How much does a family of four with two teenage kids need to live comfortably in the City?"

Ford: Blah blah blah
Tory: $100k
Chow: $60k

Does Chow actually have a clue how much it costs for a family to live in the city without resorting to subsidized housing?

"Chow, on the other hand, does have leftist baggage. Just look at her history with OCAP. "

I'm glad you brought that up (Ontario Coalition Against Poverty) Are doing a week of actions this week called "Raise the Rate" all bike riding leftist kooks can get caught up on their website.

"She voted against action to remove squatters off the Cherry St. lands."

There is a fascinating account of a year in the life of a man who lived in tent city and partook of the various agencies that existed at that time to assist the homeless called"Down to This" its in the library if your branch hasn't been shut down.

"She voted against banning raves despite deaths from Ecstacy users at raves."

Well she should definitely lose over that. It probably led to TPS' s lax attitude to the crack mayor and his gangster chums.

" Not to mention her history with retaining public housing while having a combined income of over $120k"

The beauty of mixed income housing is that the stigma of living in subsidized housing is mitigated by the
fact that no one knows who is or is not receiving subsidies. This is how we avoid the St. James town type proje ts that are slowly being dismantled. If the market rate residents booked it out of there as soon as they
gained some prosperity the whole concept falls apart

"She's a rather firm leftist. "
Yes she is and it would behoove her to recall who her support has always been. Like Horvath trying to play both sides of the street will erode her traditional support while it won't bring any right wing voters over to her camp.

"I can just imagine a spot highlighting the fact that she
voted herself (with other trustees) an 86% pay hike in 1988, as a school trustee."

We have discussed on another thread how little Mifo will make as a school trustee compared to a council job. Its peanuts now it was peanut dust before.

"Tory has his baggage. Mostly they are boneheaded, foot-in-mouth comments or missteps (like supporting Ford). "

I am actually surprised that Tory's opposition were only able to come up with a few tone deaf statements from hundreds of hours of radio time recorded. If you're looking for a slick talker he's your man.

"And if anyone needs any proof of her leftist bonafides, please refer to her platform"

My biggest problem with Chow is not her lefty past. Its her lackluster performance in the here and now.

She is as tone deaf as Tory in her reluctance to tackle les fords and their lies, I don't care if her speaking
style is stilted, I look at actions and motives. What did she hope to accomplish by sitting on the police board? And contrast it with Rob Fords support of front line police wage hikes and his vote against overtime reform and what he was able to accomplish by those tactics. (Can you say free pass for me and my friends?)

So where do I stand on voting day. Don't know yet. If the margins look safe enough I'll probably endorse Goldkind. Mostly because he was bold enough to enter with Chow crowding out the left. And because Toronto has a revenue problem and he's not afraid to say it.

Also apologies to K eithz regarding quoting style. I'm not proficient at it.

Last edited:
Listening to the Newstalk 1010 debate, I have to say that Chow is just awful.

Second this. But I'm thinking radio may not be her most comfortable format.

Really surprised by how she flopped on the income and affordability questions. She should have the best answers on that file. She's answering much better now though.

You didn't say co-op housing in your attack on her. You said public housing.

I believe this is the first time you've mentioned co-op housing. Which is of course, not public housing.

The disc ourse has been balanced IMO does not qualify as an attack.

My issue with Chow is that she wants to raise taxes to fund more social programs. I'd have little issue supporting this at the provincial level with income tax. Not so with property taxes that are regressive. If I'm going to pay regressive taxes, at least let it fund infrastructure. And unfortunately, the only real priority she has is her bus plan. What's her plan to address the road repair backlog for example?

And quite frankly, having then expanded social housing, daycare, etc. I don't trust her to then not raise taxes beyond inflation to fund further expansions. All this let's the province off scot-free for their inaction and/or cuts on the social services file.

Her platform would prove great, were she running for Premier. Not so much when I look at it as a municipal ratepayer.

Unfortunately most progressives do not concern themselves with figuring out which level of government should provide which service... an abdication by one level just means that the next one can create their own localized version.

Back