News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I think discussing the minute details of what one candidate says or what details are in their platform is a fun but irrelevant exercise. In the end it will come down to gut feelings

Those motivated to see the good old days of boring status quo return to the city will be motivated to vote Tory no matter what rubbish comes out of his mouth.

Those motivated to see a progressive or left wing shift in city hall will vote Chow, that is if they can stomach the fact that every Chow vote is a Ford vote.

Those motivated to stir things up because they feel marginalized and hard done by, regardless of the truth behind their own status regarding entitlement, will vote Ford.

I think discussing the minute details of what one candidate says or what details are in their platform is a fun but irrelevant exercise. In the end it will come down to gut feelings

I respectfully disagree. Gut feel is largely about the base. And each politician has their respective base. Political sparring, however, is about winning where elections are decided: in the centre.

Those motivated to see the good old days of boring status quo return to the city will be motivated to vote Tory no matter what rubbish comes out of his mouth.

Those motivated to see a progressive or left wing shift in city hall will vote Chow, that is if they can stomach the fact that every Chow vote is a Ford vote.

Those motivated to stir things up because they feel marginalized and hard done by, regardless of the truth behind their own status regarding entitlement, will vote Ford.

Yeah! Boring status quo!! I love being bored!!

Don't get this argument that Chow co-op housing thing was "debunked". Never said she did anything illegal. Politics is about perception. And there's no way that a lot of voters won't see as unacceptable a politician with a family income far more than most families make taking advantage of co-op housing. And that's my point. While something may be legal, it may not necessarily be viewed as ethical by the voting public.

Obviously people still just don't get it. It's sad how blinded people can be by their political ideology.

And it's such a simple idea as well.

It's very easy to understand why low-income people would be attracted to mixed-income housing projects. But there really isn't a lot in it for those paying the market rate in these projects. Most middle class or rich people would never want to live with the poor. But for this kind of thing to work, it requires people who believe in it and participate. One thing you can't deny about Chow and Layton, is that they truly believed in social justice and walked the walk instead of just talking the talk.

So to imply that participating in mixed-income co-op housing by being the ones paying the market rates is unethical is exactly the craziness that gets the likes of the Fords elected in this city.

Yes...Olivia Chow is unethical and the Fords are saintly. This isn't just why we can't have nice things....it's why we don't deserve them.

Yes...Olivia Chow is unethical and the Fords are saintly. This isn't just why we can't have nice things....it's why we don't deserve them.

Where did I (or anyone else) imply that the Fords were "saintly"?

This is the other side of the coin. Criticism of Chow equals pass or endorsement of Ford. I am highly sceptical that most voters think this way.

Polarisation tactics won't pay off. They actually become quite off-putting by the end.

I have no doubt you'll be talking about your Sheppard East fantasy in 2015 no matter who wins.

And I guess you'll still be blaming the city for a DRL scheme that province has been waffling on since the Metro was formed. You supported the Scarborough subway so I'm not sure of the relevance of this comment.

Last edited:
Obviously people still just don't get it. It's sad how blinded people can be by their political ideology.

And it's such a simple idea as well.

It's very easy to understand why low-income people would be attracted to mixed-income housing projects. But there really isn't a lot in it for those paying the market rate in these projects. Most middle class or rich people would never want to live with the poor. But for this kind of thing to work, it requires people who believe in it and participate. One thing you can't deny about Chow and Layton, is that they truly believed in social justice and walked the walk instead of just talking the talk.

So to imply that participating in mixed-income co-op housing by being the ones paying the market rates is unethical is exactly the craziness that gets the likes of the Fords elected in this city.

Where did I (or anyone else) imply that the Fords were "saintly"?

This is the other side of the coin. Criticism of Chow equals pass or endorsement of Ford. I am highly sceptical that most voters think this way.

Polarisation tactics won't pay off. They actually become quite off-putting by the end.

Keith the problem is not polarization tatics unless you are talking Ford Nation vs....*. The problem is Olivia does not have a message other then attacking Tory at this point. She has a good platform, I wonder why she doesn't talk about it. Freshcut we don't have nice things because there is no we in Toronto anymore. That's why two center right candidates are still leading the pack 10 months.

Last edited:
Keith the problem is not polarization tatics unless you are talking Ford Nation vs....*. The problem is Olivia does not have a message other then attacking Tory at this point. She has a good platform, I wonder why she doesn't talk about it. Freshcut we don't have nice things because there is no we in Toronto anymore. That's why two center right candidates are still leading the pack 10 months.

First, let's recall that this election started with Chow in the lead. Seems like the more she talks, the lower she goes. That implies that either the voters don't like her or her platform.

Next, I would hardly count Doug Ford as centre-right.

Loathe to do it. But I'm going to give some credit to Doug Ford. When he took over, most didn't think he'd last. But he's performed quite well and is still a formidable contender. That's quite a feat.

And I guess you'll still be blaming the city for a DRL scheme that province has been waffling on since the Metro was formed. You supported the Scarborough subway so I'm not sure of the relevance of this comment.
Waffling since 1954??

The relevance is you brought up the Sheppard subway for no apparent reason, so I commented on you bringing it up for no apparent reason.

Loathe to do it. But I'm going to give some credit to Doug Ford. When he took over, most didn't think he'd last. But he's performed quite well and is still a formidable contender. That's quite a feat.

In hindsight, I really think he always had a better chance than Rob.

Ford Nation is a cult, they'll follow any Ford. As for the rest of the city, Fordian politics and rhetoric appeal to many suburban, new immigrant and disenfranchised voters. Many also didn't have much respect/wouldn't vote for a crack-smoking drunkard. Doug is neither of those things.

Yes, thank you. Reports that shown that Toronto has a revenue problem, not a spending problem. And yet, no matter how many times we elected a failed right-wing blowhard, the idea that we need to find efficiencies instead and keep taxes low never seems to die. So of course, when I opened the G&M this morning I found this:

John Tory is promising no services will be cut if he is elected, saying he would keep tax increases at or below the rate of inflation by finding efficiencies and wringing more money for Toronto out of the federal and provincial governments.

Don't worry, the shit will hit the fan soon enough and we'll have to find new revenues. Toronto is facing a $500 Million shortfall next year and no amounts of "efficiencies" will come close to filling that hole.

Back