News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Paul Wells @InklessPW
Some early hints that in the event of CPC discomfiture, the red-Tory told-you-sos will be epic.

I agree. There has to be a lot of people who don't like the hard right turn of the CPC.

I think you also need to factor in the increased push for advanced voting by the three parties. I've noticed in the last few attention cycles a much stronger push by local candidates to try and get voters in the booths as soon as possible.

The last time this happened, Tory became mayor.

That is just online comments though. I don't take much stock in that.

The CPC is basically the Reform party now, with the more moderate PC influence gone.

Aside from anything else....it just elevates my level of confusion over advanced polls...I have never understood them....maybe I lead a dull life but I can't imagine there are 3.6million Canadians that will be just too busy to vote next monday when (due to the increased number of polling stations) the lineups will likely be shorter anyway. It means nothing, really, but I just don't understand the number of people who flock to advanced polls (have used them once...because I was going to be out of the country on election day....but that can't be the reason so many people gave up time on their holiday/family weekend to vote...can it?)

Why not vote in the advance polls? Monday was a holiday for people who would normally be at work, this way they don't have to be rushed to go from work to the polling station. And the advance polls where opened from the 9th to the 12th, still enough time to go vote and spend Thanksgiving with the family.

Why not vote in the advance polls? Monday was a holiday for people who would normally be at work, this way they don't have to be rushed to go from work to the polling station. And the advance polls where opened from the 9th to the 12th, still enough time to go vote and spend Thanksgiving with the family.
So the answer to my why is , "why not"? ;)

So the answer to my why is , "why not"? ;)

It was a canned respond opening. But does it really matter when you vote? Is one week really going to change your mind if you've already decided before the election started? Do you really believe that taking approximately a hour out of your day to mark an X in a circle is really going to ruin your Thanksgiving? If you don't want to ruin your Thanksgiving, but want to vote early, vote the day before, after or a hour before you have to go to Thanksgiving dinner, its that simple.

It was a canned respond opening. But does it really matter when you vote? Is one week really going to change your mind if you've already decided before the election started? Do you really believe that taking approximately a hour out of your day to mark an X in a circle is really going to ruin your Thanksgiving? If you don't want to ruin your Thanksgiving, but want to vote early, vote the day before, after or a hour before you have to go to Thanksgiving dinner, its that simple.
I really did not mean to make a big deal out of this....I was just observing that, clearly, advanced polling is getting more and more popular every election and, sure, this year the advanced polls were during a long weekend but that is not always the case....it does not matter to me when people vote as long as they do....but I (personally) don't understand the need for the vast majority of people to vote early...that's all.:)

Aside from anything else....it just elevates my level of confusion over advanced polls...I have never understood them....maybe I lead a dull life but I can't imagine there are 3.6million Canadians that will be just too busy to vote next monday when (due to the increased number of polling stations) the lineups will likely be shorter anyway. It means nothing, really, but I just don't understand the number of people who flock to advanced polls (have used them once...because I was going to be out of the country on election day....but that can't be the reason so many people gave up time on their holiday/family weekend to vote...can it?)

What are you confused about? Not everyone has a dull life like you. Some people can't vote on election day that's why we have them. I have missed election day once because of work. I always use the advanced polls. Just in case i can't make it.

I really did not mean to make a big deal out of this....I was just observing that, clearly, advanced polling is getting more and more popular every election and, sure, this year the advanced polls were during a long weekend but that is not always the case....it does not matter to me when people vote as long as they do....but I (personally) don't understand the need for the vast majority of people to vote early...that's all.:)

Think of it this way; voting on election day is the last day you can vote, not the only day you can vote. You can still even vote as of today, just go to your local Election Canada office that is on the voting card to and vote before the 19th.

So the answer to my why is , "why not"
For many it's just easier to vote in the advance poll.

Personally the advance polls was across the street from my house, for 3 consecutive holiday days. As opposed to my regular poll being a few blocks out of my way, on top of a hill I've no reason to walk up (because it only leads to the school where the poll is). And the poll doesn't open until 9:30 AM, so I can't vote before work ... so I have to make sure that nothing comes up in the evening, and rush over there before supper ... or else it's too late once the kids go to bed.

I didn't see any line-ups. At 3:30 pm or so there was 2 people in front of me. My wife said at 6 pm it was dead. They did mention that it had been busier earlier in the afternoon - perhaps they should open before noon.

Masked cowboy votes at advance poll. See link.

cowboy.jpg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpg

But it is illegal to videotape or photograph inside a polling station, and Elections Canada officials pulled the cowboy and his sidekick aside as they walked out and told them it was illegal to video tape inside a polling station, Munoz said.

Illegal to videotape? Guess they don't want the voters to be recognized as they vote. Maybe that's why they allow faces to be hidden? In case they are recorded.

:confused: (I'm confused!)

What are you confused about? Not everyone has a dull life like you. Some people can't vote on election day that's why we have them. I have missed election day once because of work. I always use the advanced polls. Just in case i can't make it.
Well, I am willing to accept that I am in the 1% (of people with a dull life).....but I think I had a lot of fun every day this weekend...but that might just be relative.

That said...I am holding out hope that one of the 3 (hell, I'll even throw in the Greens to make it 4) to promise to end the 4 calls I get offering me exclusive offers from Hilton/WestJet/AirCanada/etc .....all on numbers masked/hidden/disguised to look familiar to me.....anybody that can announce a plan for that gets my vote....and if I had voted early I might have lost that chance ;)

That said...I am holding out hope that one of the 3 (hell, I'll even throw in the Greens to make it 4) to promise to end the 4 calls I get offering me exclusive offers from Hilton/WestJet/AirCanada/etc .....all on numbers masked/hidden/disguised to look familiar to me.....anybody that can announce a plan for that gets my vote....and if I had voted early I might have lost that chance ;)

Phone scammers are a pain in the ass. I got a call last week telling me i won a free Caribbean Cruise! Over the summer i got a few calls from "Microsoft tech support" telling me my computer had a virus. I trolled the guy for about 10 minutes, then he told me to go f--- myself :D I don't see the government doing much to stop these crooks.

Back