News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

It's not just immigrants. Toronto born Muslims also share the same bigoted and misogynistic views.

A Toronto police Muslim Chaplain tells women to be obedient to their husbands "Wives should also seek permission from her husband before leaving the home because they are the guardians of the marital home, Khan says."

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...cerns-about-new-chaplains-views-on-women.html

Certainly you meant "some"? I am willing to challenge the appropriateness of an individual with said views to be the chaplain - I am not unwilling to make blanket statements.

AoD

Certainly you meant "some"? I am willing to challenge the appropriateness of an individual with said views to be the chaplain - I am not unwilling to make blanket statements.

AoD

Some yes. The Asra Nomani and Irshad Manj types do exist and speak out for woman's rights in Islam, but they seem to be the minority. Asra Noman was the first woman in her Mosque to insist on the right to pray in the male only main hall.

Some yes. The Asra Nomani and Irshad Manj types do exist and speak out for woman's rights in Islam, but they seem to be the minority. Asra Noman was the first woman in her Mosque to insist on the right to pray in the male only main hall.

Sure, so I am curious as to why we should focus solely on women rights and Islam and not other religions here in Canada (if not the general valuation of women in Canadian society)? If we are going to talk about tolerance and all that, let the actions speak for themselves.

And besides, on the matter of homophobia, a population that was (and still is, context dependent) actively prosecuting LGBT is hardly in a position to lecture anyone how to be tolerant. It isn't like Monte McNaughton is Muslim or something.

AoD

Last edited:
And it's not like socially conservative Muslims had any role in the nomination of the 19-year-old Christian conservative in Niagara West riding.

And it's not like socially conservative Muslims had any role in the nomination of the 19-year-old Christian conservative in Niagara West riding.
That is a deep blue riding with a lot of evangelicals. Not at all surprised that the riding association got hijacked by a Fundie. His odds of election are very high.

That is a deep blue riding with a lot of evangelicals. Not at all surprised that the riding association got hijacked by a Fundie. His odds of election are very high.

Yes, as I posted above, it's one of the most evangelical ridings in Ontario. It's a very conservative area socially and politically.

My riding (Scarborough Centre) tends to be a bellwether, so I could see it going PC if people were mad enough.

Liberalville Toronto will re-elect Wynne and the Liberals without any hesitation. They are still haunted by the Mike Harris ghost. :rolleyes:
Hell yah. The subway I could have been riding when I was 5 years old will open when I am 25 thanks to Mike Harris. I won't forget this. (Or having my school classroom sizes expanded to 30+ students while growing up. There are consequences for real people when we vote in PCs, but I guess an 8-year old school kid is not a voter and cannot articulate what is going on around him.)

I think the Liberals should change leadership. Glen Murray is a lot more charismatic than Wynne, we need just one more term for the Liberals to deliver on Hurontario, Finch West, Eglinton and Hamilton. I expect the Missing Link and the Downtown Relief Line as more likely to happen under one more Liberal term than in any change of government, and those are what we need from our provincial government right now.

I would be tempted to vote for a Bill Davis PC leader, but Brown is not this and I feel like the transit profile is still in danger with a change in government.

If they lose Ottawa-Vanier, I think it'll be time for a new leader. They can't use the excuse of "socially conservative wedge issue + long-serving city councillor." It would be like losing St. Paul's or Toronto Centre.

Since McGuinty was elected in 2003, have the Liberals or Premier ever polled this poorly? I'm tempted to say the PCs will lose yet another should-be-a-slam-dunk election, but this time maybe even the PCs can't mess it up.

Back