News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

The interplay between Metrolinx and the politicians. That's what I'm curious about. How is this going to be handled?

Do they take some advice or disregard it completely?

Metrolinx could end up taking over the subway network. Not an idea I would mind. Opens the door to fair by distance or zoned fares.

The interplay between Metrolinx and the politicians. That's what I'm curious about. How is this going to be handled?

Do they take some advice or disregard it completely?

Metrolinx could end up taking over the subway network. Not an idea I would mind. Opens the door to fair by distance or zoned fares.

The ghost of Gary Webster will help with that problem. Metrolinx will work just as they did with the Liberals as a finger nails length independent organization.

Certianly alot of fare details to be reviewed with RER and the subway

Last edited:
This is about as delusional as the Ford supporters who think he'll build the DRL.

It does not take 4 years to get shovels in the ground. Even with a redesign and new EA.

I didn't write that it does.

When did Toronto decide to build the SSE?

The idea that the SSE is going to happen is hardly a sure thing at the moment - there's a reason Tory doesn't want the updated cost released before the election. What happens if the new updated one-stop cost is $5 billion - $6 billion? Will the rest of the city and province be able to stomach such an increase? What about the undoubtedly enormous cost of adding two extra stations?

If you're talking about a fully funded, fully costed and supported project then sure, construction won't take years. The problem is that the SSE is entirely politically driven, and politics will continue to impact if or when they get started.

I recall a fully designed and funded LRT for Scarborough that already had money invested in it back in 2010. Construction still hasn't started for some strange reason...

I didn't write that it does.

When did Toronto decide to build the SSE?

The idea that the SSE is going to happen is hardly a sure thing at the moment - there's a reason Tory doesn't want the updated cost released before the election. What happens if the new updated one-stop cost is $5 billion - $6 billion? Will the rest of the city and province be able to stomach such an increase? What about the undoubtedly enormous cost of adding two extra stations?

If you're talking about a fully funded, fully costed and supported project then sure, construction won't take years. The problem is that the SSE is entirely politically driven, and politics will continue to impact if or when they get started.

I recall a fully designed and funded LRT for Scarborough that already had money invested in it back in 2010. Construction still hasn't started for some strange reason...

It's a done deal. Tory kept it alive and likely held it back hoping to hand off to the Province and prevent council from another vote and further chaos.

There will be no further council votes therefore no further Opposition. Stops will be added and it will move forward. This one is big for the Ford legacy and Its really the only real guarantee.

Also you cant compare a fragile transfer laden and mainly non grade seperated LRT plan being overturned on support of voters with a heavily supported multi stop subway. The best chance for lines to get built is when people strongly support it.

Last edited:

The SSE is about the most sure transit project you'll get from this government. They just won over half the seats in Scarborough, and were close in the other two. And the SSE is tied to the Ford brand. It's getting built. Even if they have to cancel every other project for the 416 to deliver it.

The bad news is that Doug Ford may follow in the steps of Mike Harris and appoint a car dealer (Al Palladini in Harris' time) as Minister of Transportation. We say what happened back then, it may happen again tomorrow.

Don't think it was discussed yet, but what do people think about the future of Metrolinx, under Ford? Will it continue to exist? I can see him calling it a 'waste'.

Don't think it was discussed yet, but what do people think about the future of Metrolinx, under Ford? Will it continue to exist? I can see him calling it a 'waste'.
They drag their feet too much but I think rather then firings were going to see some shortening of project time lines.

It will have to exist in *some form* - even if the org is dissolved and reabsorbed into the provincial government proper. Also never underestimate how convenient it is to have an arms length agency on strings to be the piñata when things go south.

AoD

On the upside, we won't be hearing an announcement from Il Duce anymore.

Rod Phillips is a likely Transportation Minister, and as much as he has to do the Dougma Dance, he is well up on the portfolio, and acquitted himself very well on the Agenda's Transportation special a few weeks back.
https://tvo.org/transcript/2502779/...teve-paikin/the-ontario-transportation-debate

Being from Ajax, regional transit is high on his agenda.

Last edited:
I think those who surmise the SSE will be at the top of the project list are likely correct.

There is little question the PCs have nowhere near enough money to fund their promises, I will be fascinated to see HOW our new premier answers that challenge, his choice being massive cuts or an un-promised tax hike.

Regardless, I think SSE will end up near the top of the list, as noted elsewhere likely back to 3 stations. Which if one is going to build it, is surely the way it should be done. Steve Munro himself said he thought any credible argument for the line hinged on not only the Lawrence stop but adding one at Brimley and Eglinton.

This project is one of the few where I vary from progressive bretheren, as I have favoured the SSE since day one.

The arguments to me had to do w/closing the existing line which was required of the LRT project, for at least three years and the formidable challenge of replacing that service with buses. As well as support for removing an 'orphan' technology form that required its own shops and parts set; and a belief that the metrics being used to evaluate the subway proposal were unreasonable (as portions of Spadina and Bloor today would never pass, nor would lines in many other cities around the world.

That said, I was also firmly of the belief that the Relief line was a much bigger priority, that Sheppard East proposal was downright preposterous (Scarborough section) and that the SSE project was being managed in such as way as to make it untenable (one station, too much over-the-top spending on that one station too).

I will take a moment here to note a problem I see w/some progressives............an almost universal recognition that they would not want to live in Scarborough, and an equal determination not to make Scarborough look/feel a away that would make it livable to them..........and then complete and utter shock that people there might vote differently.

Making an investment, perhaps even an excessive one that helps redefine a place, not only changes the people who are there, it attracts people to that place who think/feel a certain way.

Put another way, want people to walk more in Scarborough, throw some money at streetscapes out there. More transit riders? Build comfortable transit that does not give a feeling of second-classness.

That's not an invitation to waste money; or to entertain the BS of certain populists.

Its an urgent message on how to counter that BS and diffuse it.

Last edited:
Imo

Scarborough
Sheppard
Yonge
Finch West DRL
Eglinton West

I think Eglinton East will be built, but it's going to be 50/50.

In a world where the province's entire budget is being spent in Toronto, maybe.

It's like some of you think the government only cares about transit and only about Toronto.

Over the next 4 years, I foresee no more than the 905 LRTs already on the books (and that's debatable), Ottawa's Stage 2, London's Shift, and for Toronto, finishing Eglinton, the SSE, and improving GO. RER is doubtful. And Finch West is under threat.

Back