News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

Sooo…

The cost of cleaning up abandoned wells was estimated by the Alberta Energy Regulator in 2018 to be $58,650,000,000 and that might well prove to be low. Whatever it is, it’s going to be a lot of money and one of the problems is that it’s hard to relate to that much money.

Danielle Smith’s R-Star program is now proposing that that cost - whatever it is - be borne by the taxpayers of Alberta through the forgiveness of royalty payments that would otherwise flow to the government of Alberta.

There are approximately 1,900,000 working Albertans. This amounts to every single working Albertan paying the equivalent of MORE THAN $30,000 OF THEIR HARD EARNED WAGES AS ADDITIONAL TAX DOLLARS to already profitable producing oil companies to do what they are already obligated to do!!!

No wonder the author concludes that “for the oil industry, having your lobbyist become premier could be a dream come true”.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/dishing-with-dkg-what-to-do-about-the-oilpatchs-orphan-wells
didn't the feds give us money for the same thing.

Yah there is is in April 2020.https https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/federal-oil-and-gas-orphan-wells-program-1.5535943

And the GoA gave the Orphan well association money a month earlier.
Alberta government announced a $100 million loan to the Orphan Well Association.
and again in 2009 and 2017
2009, the Alberta government has given the Orphan Well Association more than $30 million in grants, and the province loaned the organization $235 million in 2017.

It looks like the money is just pocketed or at least gets used instead of the companies money.

https://thenarwhal.ca/cnrl-cenovus-oil-cleanup-subsidies/
https://www.nationalobserver.com/2021/07/07/news/what-did-alberta-do-trudeau-money-oil-gas-cleanup

Last edited:
Curious how badly YEG is gonna kicked in the nuts on. Tuesday? Bucks for anything coming our way? A timeline for the Hospital? Children’s Mental Health Center at the Mis? How much is YYC going to gain? If I see $1 budgeted for their new fLamers arena?…….
I have absolutely ZERO positive expectations, especially considering the "Edmonton is far ahead of Calgary" comment the Premier made a few weeks ago.
The United Calgary Party will also be wanting to make sure they secure the seats there, since it's the big battleground of the upcoming election. Edmonton is pretty much an NDP washout, rural Alberta is 100% UCP.

Only place that matters now, for both parties, is Calgary. I frankly wish the polls were closer for the seats here, too...

I have absolutely ZERO positive expectations, especially considering the "Edmonton is far ahead of Calgary" comment the Premier made a few weeks ago.
The United Calgary Party will also be wanting to make sure they secure the seats there, since it's the big battleground of the upcoming election. Edmonton is pretty much an NDP washout, rural Alberta is 100% UCP.

Only place that matters now, for both parties, is Calgary. I frankly wish the polls were closer for the seats here, too...
Her worshipfulness laid the ground work with that comment all right...........

Almost all the metro Edmonton suburbs actually are swing seats this election. I don't know who created this narrative that it's only Calgary that will be a battle ground but it's false.

Almost all the metro Edmonton suburbs actually are swing seats this election. I don't know who created this narrative that it's only Calgary that will be a battle ground but it's false.
You know what? We should move the legislature down there anyway. Both parties seem to make a lot of government announcements from there, both parties believe it’s the hub for the election, the UCP believe it’s the pseudo capital anyway so may as well do the entire province a favour and just ship the leg down to the capital. Would be the least we could do to help.

Sooo…

The cost of cleaning up abandoned wells was estimated by the Alberta Energy Regulator in 2018 to be $58,650,000,000 and that might well prove to be low. Whatever it is, it’s going to be a lot of money and one of the problems is that it’s hard to relate to that much money.

Danielle Smith’s R-Star program is now proposing that that cost - whatever it is - be borne by the taxpayers of Alberta through the forgiveness of royalty payments that would otherwise flow to the government of Alberta.

There are approximately 1,900,000 working Albertans. This amounts to every single working Albertan paying the equivalent of MORE THAN $30,000 OF THEIR HARD EARNED WAGES AS ADDITIONAL TAX DOLLARS to already profitable producing oil companies to do what they are already obligated to do!!!

No wonder the author concludes that “for the oil industry, having your lobbyist become premier could be a dream come true”.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/dishing-with-dkg-what-to-do-about-the-oilpatchs-orphan-wells
She was a paid lobbyist, so I can understand why she promoted this program in the past. However the concerning part is why is she continuing to act like a paid lobbyist now?

Its clearly a bad program, Smith's muddled communication is conflating orphan wells with those owned by companies that can and should be paying for the clean up.

The Premier should have Alberta's best interests in mind, not those of her (past?) benefactors.

Calgary and the Calgary media and the political scientists from Mount Royal who are always in the news have created the narrative that its all about Calgary because, well, like most things in this province it is about Calgary.

I realize that Calgary is a battle ground and many of the more outspoken political commentators are from there, so it gets a lot of attention.

However, I am guessing those political commentators are not visiting these metro Edmonton suburbs that are swing seats much or even notice them.

Smith does herself no favours in these seats when she focuses on Calgary. They could have a big impact on the outcome of the election.

You know what? We should move the legislature down there anyway. Both parties seem to make a lot of government announcements from there, both parties believe it’s the hub for the election, the UCP believe it’s the pseudo capital anyway so may as well do the entire province a favour and just ship the leg down to the capital. Would be the least we could do to help.
I can't imagine this will improve when the provincial budget drops tomorrow. What's the over/under for the Calgary arena funding being in there?

I wouldn't be surprised if there was something in there for the Calgary arena, but there still seems to be some debate about the best site and the parties that need to come to an agreement (the city and the team owners), don't seem there yet. So it could be a premature expenditure that either doesn't accomplish what is intended or blows up on them.

I don't think it will matter how many goodies they throw at Calgary NDP will still grab over half the seats there. I guess it's about saving a handful of seats in that city.

We'll need to watch for the substance rather than the flash.

Edmonton (and Alberta as a whole) needs a new SW hospital, about 5-6 new schools, funding for an architecture program at U of A, equalized supportive and shelter spaces with Calg, gov't support for the hydrogen, logistics, manufacturing, AI and video game sectors, a capital city grant for some street cleaning and planting, tourism funding, downtown Revitalization funding and support, opportunity Edmonton fund, support for passenger rail between Edm, and Jasper, Calgary, Grande Prairie and Ft McMurray, expansion of the Art Gallery of Alberta, expansion of citadel, festival support, commuter rail between Edm and St Albert, Sherwood Park, Leduc, Ft. Sask, Spruce, and Airport, second Cancer clinic, Stollery expansion, about 8 new long term care facilities, replacement of Miz, rehabilitation of Alberta Hospital, energy retraining centre for economic transition, appropriate boost to the public service to reflect provincial growth, new courthouse. Many of these things have been overdue for 5-20 yrs.

Back