News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

The UCP appealing to their base. The religious right using our money.

I'm not sure I believe that comment from Hoffman of the NDP.

The government is spending $1.6B on K-12 construction. I don't know the breakdown, but I feel like we definitely need a fact checker for everything a politician says as we head into this election.

A lot of the money is earmarked for planning schools, the Stollery, the courthouse and other facilities.

So, our Premier and our Finance Minister seem to think that "Fiscal responsibility matters. It’s been key to achieving our strong fiscal standing and will be essential for sustainable program delivery in the future.”

I'm pretty sure that non-renewable resource revenue going from $3.1 billion in 2020/21 to the currently budgeted $27.5 billion for 2022/23 isn't due to fiscal responsibility by the UCP.
It's also worth noting that a large part of that $24.4 billion increase is due to increased royalties resulting from a change in the taxation status of the older oil-sands producers under a regime implemented by a previous federal Liberal government if my memory is correct...

And without that $24.4 billion increase in resource revenue, this budget would not have a $2.4 billion surplus, it would have a $22 billion dollar deficit.

Fiscal responsibility is not ideological and is desirable across the political spectrum. Unfortunately fiscal misrepresentation like this is both ideological and irresponsible to the point of completely overshadowing any real responsible progress that might have been made.

As for that list of capital projects planned for Edmonton and the Edmonton region, not many of those are new announcements/new money and too many of the others don't come with any commitment to actually complete them.

With the UCP providing $5million each to Edmonton and Calgary downtowns in their 2022 budget and nothing in addition for 2023, the NDP will be campaigning on this promise to downtown Calgary - a $155M plan.

In case you were wondering about Edmonton - so far there is no downtown plan or funding proposed.

If the NDP is going to be like this then I don't know who to vote for. We need a party that will support Edmontonians, or split Alberta in half.

Back