News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The difference between Edmonton and Calgary's metro population is not that big (around 100,000) on over 1.5 million, which surprisingly few people out province realize.

This would be like comparing Seattle and Vancouver. Last time I checked, which was sometime ago Seattle was a bit bigger than Vancouver by a similar amount.

I think the population difference only translates into a few more constituencies out of over 80. It is not the reason. The real reason is the UCP is not competitive in Edmonton (1 seat only which they may lose) and they are in a number of likely close races in Calgary.
Actually, Seattle proper is about 100k larger than Vancouver, and Seattle metro is about 900K larger. Edmonton and Calgary suffer from the opposite effect: Calgary proper is estimated at 1.4M and Edmonton at 1.1M, a 300k difference, but Edmonton metro is at about 1.52M and Calgary at around 1.61M, a 90k difference, only. So the difference there is quite a lot bigger than Calgary and Edmonton (even proportionally).

That is a negligible difference and I believe it only translates into 1 or 2 extra constituencies in the Calgary CMA over Edmonton CMA.

Last edited:
Just in case it was forgotten by some in our province, Edmonton is still the capital of Alberta

Just for information, an honorary consulate doesn't need to be set up in a provincial capital. Brazil's honorary consulate in Alberta is in Calgary, since the country's community there is about 3x larger than here.

Just for information, an honorary consulate doesn't need to be set up in a provincial capital. Brazil's honorary consulate in Alberta is in Calgary, since the country's community there is about 3x larger than here.
Correct, it doesn't. Its up to the country and whomever they appoint and if a large number of their citizens/expats live elsewhere it would make sense to do so.

However, all things being equal a consulate may also have to deal with our government and agencies, so it then makes some sense for it to be in the capital.

Actually, Seattle proper is about 100k larger than Vancouver, and Seattle metro is about 900K larger. Edmonton and Calgary suffer from the opposite effect: Calgary proper is estimated at 1.4M and Edmonton at 1.1M, a 300k difference, but Edmonton metro is at about 1.52M and Calgary at around 1.61M, a 90k difference, only. So the difference there is quite a lot bigger than Calgary and Edmonton (even proportionally).

That is a negligible difference and I believe it only translates into 1 or 2 extra constituencies in the Calgary CMA over Edmonton CMA.
I had thought I was looking at metro figures for Seattle and Vancouver, but it was quite a long time ago, so the gap may have grown. Thanks for the updated figures.

In any event, it is interesting how lots of people perceive Seattle and Vancouver to be similar in size, but seem to not realize how close Edmonton is compared to Calgary.

and for some perspective/quantification on that, there are more than 100,000 american ex-pats currently living in calgary (a number that is actually down from its peak).

and for some perspective/quantification on that, there are more than 100,000 american ex-pats currently living in calgary (a number that is actually down from its peak).
That number is CRAZY! I know that there are about 4000~4500 Brazilians in Edmonton, and roughly 3x that in Calgary, as of December 2022. It's the 3rd largest Brazilian community in Canada and I believe 6th in North America (NY, Toronto, LA, Vancouver, Boston and Calgary, if I am not mistaken)

Correct, it doesn't. Its up to the country and whomever they appoint and if a large number of their citizens/expats live elsewhere it would make sense to do so.

However, all things being equal a consulate may also have to deal with our government and agencies, so it then makes some sense for it to be in the capital.
There are 21 consuls in Edmonton. Only Ukraine's is a full fledged consulate (not honorary). We should be working to expand the number of full consulates here. We need full consulates from USA, Philippines, India, Mexico, UK and Pakistan IMO.

Last edited:
sooo…

isn’t this the same amount of money that danielle smith sent to turkey for some children’s tylenol that we didn’t really need by the time it got here, all so she could have a photo-op behind a podium in a drug store aisle?

asking for a friend. :(

Article out there about “Her RoyalWorshipfulness” hanging out with Tim Shipton at Rogers, Ice District and overall area. The crux of the article from Shipton was preaching “safety” in the area. Maybe some AB $$$’s on the horizon for housing the homeless in the area

If you'd like to check out Premier Smith's speech - Fighting for Edmonton (who could resist 😄) - here it is.

There were 1,100 enthusiastic party supporters in attendance. She began with "Wow, this is Edmonton?"

Speaking to a sold-out crowd of party faithful at the $250-per-ticket event at Calgary’s Hyatt Regency, Smith kicked off her speech by boasting big infrastructure commitments from her party for the city — including reiterating her intention to help facilitate a deal for a new arena for the Calgary Flames and plans to help fund a CTrain expansion to the Calgary International Airport.

Latest poll has the NDP up by 6 points over the UCP in Calgary (48 to 42).

If you'd like to check out Premier Smith's speech - Fighting for Edmonton (who could resist 😄) - here it is.

There were 1,100 enthusiastic party supporters in attendance. She began with "Wow, this is Edmonton?"

Well at least this time she didn't say she's back and cackle. For a supposedly good communicator, she has a consistently weird way of opening her speeches that seems very awkward.

In a speech to Calgary chamber of commerce today, the provincial government announced they are pushing very hard to have downtown Calgary selected as a NATO regional office since Canada is being looked at for one.

Federal government prefers Halifax.

Back