News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

I kinda think this election is the UCP's to lose. If it wasn't for their leaders, Kenney and now Smith, this election would be a similar result to last time. And it still might.
It's mostly about if Smith implodes. Calgarians' biggest reservation about voting UCP is Smith.

The NDP spent more money in Calgary on transportation projects than Edmonton. Matter of fact, they delayed the Yellowhead freeway conversion project. I remember Brian Mason having to quell the anger Edmontonians had and explain the reasoning behind their decision.

Calgary media has run two stories in three days about how no money in 2023 provincial budget was allocated to their downtown. All the YYC ministers and MLAs are being criticized for being silent. You have to think something is coming - the media and their powerful business community is hitting this hard. The $155million NDP plan is being noted.

Their chamber of commerce president, the effective Deborah Yedlin (born and raised in Edmonton) was straight to the point in her disgust - "zero's an insult".

Interestingly, the NDP, who needs Calgary seats and has a plan for that city and could capitalize politically on the lack of UCP funding, was very quiet. I wonder if they are walking on eggshells because if they say anything about it, the obvious question from Edmonton media, I hope, would be what about funding for dt Edmonton? You don't have a plan for them either, and those are your constituents.

When funding is eventually announced for dt Calgary, and it will be, you have to wonder who will be speaking up for us on the provincial or business scenes.

Soho has made some requests for social services

While critical, the money Calgary is requesting for downtown and that the NDP is committed to support in its plan is big bucks to repurpose empty office buildings and revitalize spaces like Stephen Avenue Mall, Olympic Plaza and develop a downtown public market.

^

sooo…

“Edmonton is now looking for experienced non-profits to buy two Boyle Street properties for less than the combined $6 million market value — as little as $1 each. The city bought both properties with provincial housing money about 15 years ago but homes have not materialized.”

first, homes don’t just “materialize”.

second, the city bought these for affordable housing with provincial money 15 years ago. If they are still vacant instead of providing affordable housing, is it fair to blame the entire shortfall of affordable housing on the province?

third, how much property tax revenue has the city foregone over the past 15 years by taking these properties out of the private sector and into their own inventory?

Calgary media has run two stories in three days about how no money in 2023 provincial budget was allocated to their downtown. All the YYC ministers and MLAs are being criticized for being silent. You have to think something is coming - the media and their powerful business community is hitting this hard. The $155million NDP plan is being noted.

Their chamber of commerce president, the effective Deborah Yedlin (born and raised in Edmonton) was straight to the point in her disgust - "zero's an insult".

Interestingly, the NDP, who needs Calgary seats and has a plan for that city and could capitalize politically on the lack of UCP funding, was very quiet. I wonder if they are walking on eggshells because if they say anything about it, the obvious question from Edmonton media, I hope, would be what about funding for dt Edmonton? You don't have a plan for them either, and those are your constituents.

When funding is eventually announced for dt Calgary, and it will be, you have to wonder who will be speaking up for us on the provincial or business scenes.
Well, when it comes to ignoring downtown's the UCP has some consistency. I do feel for Calgary on this one, they have been doing the same here.

^

sooo…

“Edmonton is now looking for experienced non-profits to buy two Boyle Street properties for less than the combined $6 million market value — as little as $1 each. The city bought both properties with provincial housing money about 15 years ago but homes have not materialized.”

first, homes don’t just “materialize”.

second, the city bought these for affordable housing with provincial money 15 years ago. If they are still vacant instead of providing affordable housing, is it fair to blame the entire shortfall of affordable housing on the province?

third, how much property tax revenue has the city foregone over the past 15 years by taking these properties out of the private sector and into their own inventory?
Yes, homes do not materialize. I don't know the history, but I wouldn't be surprised if the city bought these properties on the expectation of some additional provincial funding that didn't materialize. About 15 years ago was when oil prices were high and suddenly dropped a lot and the province quickly moved from spending a lot to cutting back.

It does seem a shame nothing has happened here for 15 years. I don't know if the city made any effort to look at other development options over since or sell the properties.

There is a significant amount of money in the new Alberta Fund used to:

Fund one-time initiatives that do not lead to permanent increases in government spending

Money for arena or other projects could come from this fund at any time, so let's see how the next few months go.

Finally learned how much money is in this Alberta Fund. It's $1.4 billion and it's available to the UCP government to spend and/or put towards debt or savings as of April 1 (interesting date).

Expect some announcements shortly after that.

Finally learned how much money is in this Alberta Fund. It's $1.4 billion and it's available to the UCP government to spend and/or put towards debt or savings as of April 1 (interesting date).

Expect some announcements shortly after that.
I know people working in that area and you know far more about this program than they do. :eek: 🤯
The budget and minister says this new Alberta Fund will run itself since the government hasn't allocated any resources to the people working in the area responsible for this fund. All the programs are supposed to have no continuing operating costs. 😒

April 1st isn't that interesting since the fiscal year-end is March 31.

Back