News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Nova getting the order is no surprise to me, consider the amount of Canadian Content they have in it and wanting to get their feet into Ontario.

It should not take 18-24 months and all buses should be here within 18 months max, unless the order been drawn out due to funding.

TTC is real bad for delivery, considering how short of time other systems in Ontario get their buses. How long did OC have to wait for their 300+ artic's last year??

I hate to say "I told you so" to the naysayers, but...

NOW Magazine said:
TTC spokesperson Brad Ross says the long vehicles will help the commission cut costs by reducing the number of buses it runs on jam-packed bus lines, while also improving service.

“You save money on maintenance and capital costs on the bus fleet, you save money on operating costs because you need fewer operators, but you’re also able to deal with some capacity issues,” he says.

Although Ross says a detailed plan of where the buses will be deployed has yet to be worked out, commission staff have identified the 29 Dufferin, 7 Bathurst, 116 Morningside, 25 Don Mills, 36 Finch West, and 85A Sheppard lines as priorities.

On Finch alone, the articulated buses are expected to save the commission $1 million annually.

I like how the NOW article mentions we're getting "clean" diesel buses. What's the price difference between the clean and dirty diesel buses?

I hate to say "I told you so" to the naysayers, but...

Thanks for the link.

I'm not convinced they will actually save money on maintenance costs. TTC trucks out that line for nearly every new purchase (streetcars, subway trains, buses, etc.) and it seldom works out that way. Spare count and head-count per vehicle is the same as it always was.

Operations is much more predictable; so I have no doubts about that part although it is possible that the $1M savings does not include fare loss/enforcement for a POP route.

Last edited:
I like how the NOW article mentions we're getting "clean" diesel buses. What's the price difference between the clean and dirty diesel buses?

What is a "dirty" diesel engine? Is this still an option you can order? To me, it seems like an outdated, feel-good marketing term that no longer needs to apply, kind of like "unleaded gas".

Check out a few of the posts from the last couple of pages. I'm wondering if some of these guys belong to the 40' bus lobby or something.

If it's anything like the proponents of the gay agenda they must be truly insidious.

Dirty would be what we buy today. The ARL engine are much cleaner.

The industry has been using the term "clean diesel" for about the past 10 or 15 years or so, basically since the EPA began to seriously ratchet up the emissions regulations on diesel power.

Much as the marketing people like Mr. Ross love to throw out sayings such as "...saves money on maintenance..." on new equipment - which of course they do, as they are new - it's simply a meaningless sales term. All modern diesel engines are now "clean diesels".

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back