News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

My friend at Ellis Don has said that there is talk in the office about the LED lighting being scrapped. Hes pretty sure it will be left out of the final product. I guess we have to wait for an announcement now.

If this turns out to be true, it will be a sad loss. I was really looking forward to seeing the plans for the lighting and one day seeing it in action.

If it is scrapped it will probably be because it looks cheap. I've noticed that a lot of LED displays do. Brookfield is a quality developer and my guess is that the final decision will be based on what looks best.

If it is scrapped it will probably be because it looks cheap. I've noticed that a lot of LED displays do. Brookfield is a quality developer and my guess is that the final decision will be based on what looks best.

That was the reason he heard when he was on site as they tested the LED lighting. It didn't achieve the look they were going for... wasn't "officey" enough.

James Turrell, cheap? Not officey enough? Have you guys looked at office towers in Toronto lately- at night that is? There is no lighting or close to lighting at all, so I would hardly imagine its becuase it looks to cheap, more like they ARE too cheap to spend the coin to make it look GOOD!

However, whatever the case, the loss of his work is a shame..

p5

James Turrell, cheap? Not officey enough? Have you guys looked at office towers in Toronto lately- at night that is? There is no lighting or close to lighting at all, so I would hardly imagine its becuase it looks to cheap, more like they ARE too cheap to spend the coin to make it look GOOD!

However, whatever the case, the loss of his work is a shame..

p5

I'm not sure how a lack of lighting on other buildings means that LED displays look good. A bit of a non-sequitur there.

As for Brookfield being cheap, they're not. And since LED displays are inexpensive, that probably isn't an issue anyway.

^But none of that explains why they are being scrapped.

well of couse...we DON'T have a reason yet. wait a little bit and there will be an announcement of some sort.

but yeah, i don't see how some white LED's would look "cheap", if it's done right...have an awesome crown with a Luxor-like spire full of LED goodness.

could someone post a rendering with the LEDs in place. 60 pages is a lot to look through.

i must say, if it would look anything like the Cica Center in philadelphia, then the CN could get some serious competition in toronto.

ciranight1.gif

cira_bluegeenseptaswirly.jpg

ciranight3.gif

cirablue_frompenntwr.jpg

cirablue_upfront.jpg

I was searching around for information on the LEDs, and I found this:

STRUCTURAL
Completion: July 2009
Floors: 50
Rentable square feet: 1.2 million SF
Rentable area per typical floor: 23,700 to 25,500 RSF
Elevators: 26 passenger
2 service
4 parking
Corner offices: 8
Ceiling height: 9 feet
Typical floor loadings: 100 lbs/SF
LEED Certified: LEED Silver

9' for an office building? Are they kidding? No wonder why BA will have more floors AND less height than CCW. :(

I looked at the fact sheet for Telus, and they will have 11' floors.

Incredible - not only did they go with the cut-outs to get the 8 corner offices, but they also went with 9' floors. Brookfield just made my 'list'.

EDIT: Okay, Brookfield is now off my list. I crunched some numbers based on building heights and numbers of floors. Brookfield must be taking out the raised floor and the suspended ceiling (whereas Telus is probably only discounting the raised floor).

A few more thoughts:
1. Raised floors: I now work at a UK law firm in Canary Wharf. Their 32-storey building was purpose-built for the firm. Besides being an all-round fantastic facility, the building has raised floors. These are brilliant. I am shocked (after having working in the creaking golden oldie CCW) at the difference that a raised floor makes. Ignoring that people walking down the hallway make a LOT more noise, maintenance and reconfiguration of offices is made very, very easy. Just this weekend, they turned a conference room into two new offices in a matter of hours. Even the carpet is tiled so that it comes up in 16"x16" sections. I wanted to take a camera in to photograph it, but that would be a no-no.
2. Design: Having now spent time looking at the sites for Telus, BA, and RBC, I think BA will be the most bland and basic of all three. The design of both Telus and RBC are very subtle but quite good. I think RBC has the potential to be a true sleeper hit while BA will be somewhat of a dud. Telus will wow, but will be quickly overwhelmed by its changing surroundings. We'll quickly wonder how we ever got on without it. You heard it here first (well, I'm sure some else has said it, but I'm going to take credit anyway).
3. My post above: Re-reading it, I now realized that long hours at work and my advancing age are cementing my status as a curmudgeon. My apologies.

EDIT PART DEUX:
Okay, on further reflection, this still isn't making sense to me. I've gone and crunched some numbers for raised floor buildings at Canary Wharf that I know. They have an average floor height of 15.5' (all-in). For example, my building is 32 storeys, but 495'.

When you do the numbers on the Brookfield building, at 715' and 50 storeys, you're looking at an average floor height of 14.3'. I have to say that, if they are doing lowered tiled ceiling and raised floors with only 9' of useable space between, that's going to suck. Talk about 'modern' skyscraper on the cheap.

Has anyone else crunched numbers on this? They aren't really going to be silly and have 9' floors, are they???

Could 9 feet be an attempt to be a "green" building, by cutting down on AC and heating dead overhead space?

Though with cubicle walls typically 5 or 6 feet tall, 3 feet doesn't leave a lot to get light or air into the cubicles, and while a standard for residential, doesn't work so well for offices. What's the standard? 12 feet?

The lighting on the previous page is EXACTLY what I would have envisioned for this tower. Why on earth would they cancel that? It'd add a missing sexiness to the Financial District.

Back