News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Stump question: when they shut down construction originally, was there anything already built beyond the stump that was then removed? Had any of the steel skeleton been installed already and then torn down when construction stopped?

hmm...well there was a multi-storey garage that I assume they removed or reconfigured

Stump question: when they shut down construction originally, was there anything already built beyond the stump that was then removed? Had any of the steel skeleton been installed already and then torn down when construction stopped?

No, the stump was only up 4 stories or so when constuction halted. They'd never begun erecting steel. The two cranes were taken out of the stump in the fall of 1993.

They did it on a grey, dank Sunday. I was an articling student, spending my grey, dank Sunday watching them come out while I organized disclosure documents by the boxful.

^ You sound like it's your job to assemble the second crane. If I were you, I'd get off the Internet and ask the foreman. Maybe he has a manual for it or something?

lol!

geez, I'm just curious. ( Looking at the way the forms and the construction is taking place, I personally don't see a need for a second crane, although the building's footprint is massive. If there was going to be a second crane it would've been up already)

However, I'll be downtown tonight and I'll ask the foreman for the details.

Well, no. You need the first crane to be in place first and crawl up a bit, then you install the second crane lower.

And the reason? It's obvious. Two cranes shorten the construction schedule. Important for a tall building not yet at grade that wants to have tenants in offices in two years.

not sure the secondary mobile crane being used rises 700 feet

But the one already assembled on site will rise 700 feet, right? If a second crane goes up, it's purpose is just to speed up the process, not because it is absolutely required. ( again speculation on my part)

And the reason? It's obvious. Two cranes shorten the construction schedule. Important for a tall building not yet at grade that wants to have tenants in offices in two years.

If this building is going to be erected with steel, would adding a second crane speed up the schedule that much?

Back