News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

What's the situation in other cities, you don't really see too many articles regarding it but hows the luxury scene in say New York, Chicago, Dallas, Miami?

Far, far, far larger than any of us here can imagine. Canada in general has been circumvented by fashion designers since the beginning of time. We're just not considered a 'fashionable' country.

Far, far, far larger than any of us here can imagine. Canada in general has been circumvented by fashion designers since the beginning of time. We're just not considered a 'fashionable' country.

I meant how are their luxury markets holding up compared to us.

I've been to enough American cities though to see what you mean ... it's surprising as it doesn't seem Americans dress any better in general :)

I meant how are their luxury markets holding up compared to us.

I've been to enough American cities though to see what you mean ... it's surprising as it doesn't seem Americans dress any better in general :)

I think it's just that there are more of them than there are of us....especially people who can afford luxury goods. Dallas may not be a fashionable town, but there's a lot of oil money there, and those women spend it - even if it's on tacky looking clothes (luxury doesn't always have to mean nice looking!)

Yorkville

From what I hear, the Toronto luxury and retail scene is perhaps one of the best in the world, this coming from luxury brands. This reflects Toronto's stability (relative of course) right now during the recession compared to other world cities like London or NYC. Think about it, Burberry, Hugo Boss coming NOW, during the recession? These retailers who certainly do much more research and have access to much more information surely must be very condifdent in Toronto's retail sector. I think it's great.

BTW. the Bloor Transformation Project has started west now. I was walking on Bloor and the portion in front of Swarovski and Talbots was blocked with construction, and there was a pathway to the building entrance. If that continues west, walking and shopping on bloor will be hell. its al for the better though...

The big thing I've noticed on Bloor is the higher quality of construction for the luxury stores. They're obviously in for the long haul and it reflects in their storefronts.

True

The big thing I've noticed on Bloor is the higher quality of construction for the luxury stores. They're obviously in for the long haul and it reflects in their storefronts.

Very True Androiduk. The stores on Bloor have done so much moving and renovating and it looks beautiful. It shows that they are investing money into their Toronto stores because they have high sales.

From what I hear, the Toronto luxury and retail scene is perhaps one of the best in the world, this coming from luxury brands. This reflects Toronto's stability (relative of course) right now during the recession compared to other world cities like London or NYC. Think about it, Burberry, Hugo Boss coming NOW, during the recession? These retailers who certainly do much more research and have access to much more information surely must be very condifdent in Toronto's retail sector. I think it's great.

BTW. the Bloor Transformation Project has started west now. I was walking on Bloor and the portion in front of Swarovski and Talbots was blocked with construction, and there was a pathway to the building entrance. If that continues west, walking and shopping on bloor will be hell. its al for the better though...

Do you think we'll see brands like Giorgio Armani (the main brand), Dolce & Gabbana, Dior, Valentino, Chopard, ect. come soon?

Doesn't Toronto sell a high amount of luxury cars (including the exotic, expensive brands like Ferrari, Bentley, ect.) in comparsion to other cities of similar size?

Do you think we'll see brands like Giorgio Armani (the main brand), Dolce & Gabbana, Dior, Valentino, Chopard, ect. come soon?

Doesn't Toronto sell a high amount of luxury cars (including the exotic, expensive brands like Ferrari, Bentley, ect.) in comparsion to other cities of similar size?

If they do come, where would we put them? And I'm not sure if we will until the whole 1 Bloor East situation is solved.

^Now that Bloor East is finally starting to show some life, the Bay might consider doing something with 'The Wall' along Bloor. It would be great if they opened up their store to the street or allowed other retailers to set up shop there. It's much to valuable real estate to leave as is.

Five of us went to the Windsor Arms for tea last Sunday. Hadn't been inside the place in a decade or more. I can't say it was a particularly outstanding repast - the scones were stodgy and tasted like they were made from a mix, the tea was weak, the savouries bland; it barely matched the King Eddy or the Royal York. The place was full of squealing 13 year old girls wearing fancy summer hats, and slightly older women wearing a lighter purple than the walls appeared to be when seen in the garish light cast by a huge chandelier. Nobody elderly or tweedy in sight - save for our party which included an 82 and a 92 year old; at 56 I was the youngest at our table.

Gone is the rather sprawling main floor that matched, and worked as an extension of, the fake Elizabethan exterior. There's a beige, mausoleum-like restaurant with a high ceiling straight ahead. The washrooms are on the second floor.

They use typists' white-out to censor comments in the visitor's book! My friend scratched one of them off - the waiter in the bar is gay, apparently - and when we left we checked the book and the staff had whited it out again.

Back