News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Why not? Should Art and Architecture appreciation only be the purview of the learned and established?

sun readers as arbiters of taste!!??

i can't believe that you really mean that!

just as there are very few true atheists, there are also very few true reactionaries. outside of the odd eccentric like Prince Charles, the vast majority of people who dislike modernist architecture are the same people who think contemporary art is "elitist bullshit", who tune out the minute the conversation turns toward literature or theatre, who have never owned a library card in their life, never travelled outside the Western world, think subtitled films are boring, classical music is dull and ballet is gay...

they are typically people who are proudly and aggressively attached to archaic unchanging myths about what constitutes art and beauty. they have no interest in anything that challenges their big box gas guzzling kitsch riddled life style. And they are people who--in droves--supported the asinine adventures of GW Bush.

in other words, they are the "freedom fries" crowd, and no friend to anyone with an investment in the ongoing history of art and architecture in our world.

believe it or not there is such a thing as stupidity--and stupid people are always a problem

The public realm is not the purview of the elites - it belongs to us all - so we shouldn't expect elites to program and codify exclusively for other elites

I hate to tell you this, but it already is...always has been...always will be. And there is a very practical reason why the elites do control this.....survival. We'd probably be long extinct if it were all left up to the Sun readers.

I'd say there is a distinct anti-populism streak in much of modernism.

I would agree that there is...but it isn't the point, but rather the byproduct.

From a strict dictionary definition you're correct, but when we call someone (or groups of someones) ignorant we're talking about a little bit more than just a simple lack of knowledge.

You're confusing me with a Sun reader. I'm not throwing around words like "ignernt" the way people use the term "retarded".

What is the benefit of using art and architecture to alienate the uninformed?

No-one creates art for the purpose of alienating people...quite the opposite actually...they are expressing themselves externally...not internally. It is the "uninformed" who have alienated themselves, not the other way around.

They weren't seeking to create a secret and codified language that could only be fully appreciated if you were in on the joke

You keep coming up with this secret modernist club...I have no idea where this comes from. We've already fully embraced it. Where's the big secret?

Modernism didn't free us from anything but decoration and historicism, and if anything, distilled elitism into it's purist form

Oh really? Well let me tell ya...the nazis didn't close down the Bauhaus because they didn't like their buildings.

It's becoming quite clear that it isn't just Mystery boy, or whoever it was that got this debate rolling that needs to take a closer look...you seem to have interpreted a lot of it backwards yourself....you really seem to have a rather large, misplaced chip about it.

buildings that don't even really exist unless you understand what they're rejecting or embracing.

Even without understanding excactly the complexities at work in mies's mind when he designed it (which I don't completely I'm sure...he's quite the contradictory sod at times), I can still look at it and simply appreciate the form, the proportion, the materials, the use of space, etc, etc, which is rather easy....and beautiful as well.

It's why the TD Centre was such a big deal when it was built, and why it probably wouldn't be one now.

Mies's work has been copied a zillion times, and still is. There's a reason why it was a big deal then...and still is a big deal now...being that good isn't that easy. You're waaaay off the mark on that one.

You think of them as elite structures only because of what they contain.

Absolutely do not. My fault for picking those examples and making it easy for you to jump to that conclusion, but your fault for doing it.

It isn't only elites, or elitist attitudes, that push society forward.

Not always I'm sure, but in terms of what we are discussing...the higher arts, then I'm afraid that it's usually the cream of the crop which dictates this. But yes, in a lot of ways, the inmates have definetely taken over the prison....how else do you explain hip hop?

Like I said, we were much better off when "experts" told us what was cool. We'd be better read, better dressed, and listening to much better music.

Why not? Should Art and Architecture appreciation only be the purview of the learned and established?

Uh...no...who ever said Sun readers shouldn't appreciate art & architecture? I think they should...the question is, what's stopping them? It's their non-participatory behavior which spawns their taste that I don't want getting out of the box.

They are the Ch ... Chhhh ... Cha-Cha ... Chedd ... Chedding ... ding ... ton .. istas!

Naw...that's a completely different sub-group. The tons-of-money-zero-taste group are too small and uninfluencial to be overly concerned about.

Well, they have too much ostentatious "good taste" for their own good ... and they confuse it with good design ...

I think the reason why the TD Centre was such a big deal when it was built wasn't because it supposedly spoke in a "secret and codified language" to a small elite but because it was beautiful in proportion and form, and met the practical requirements of the TD's corporate culture for new office space housed in a distinctive headquarters. What makes the complex work for the viewer are the same things that make any beautiful structure work - proportion, form, colour, texture, the use of space, the placement of objects in space, and the spaces between the objects. We don't need to understand a codified language to "get" the Taj Mahal or the Parthenon or any other handsome building either - they speak in a way that crosses cultures and doesn't require an interpreter. Besides, how can the code of what makes something beautiful be broken? We can appreciate it, and marvel at it, but quantify it? How? We can determine that Mies incorporated the Golden Section in the modules that make up the TD Centre, but that goes only part way to understanding what makes it work.

I hate to tell you this, but it already is...always has been...always will be. And there is a very practical reason why the elites do control this.....survival. We'd probably be long extinct if it were all left up to the Sun readers.

And I'm suggesting it shouldn't be. Why are you so comfortable being condescended to? Are you only worth what 'elites' tell you you're worth? Or are you worried that you might feel alienated by another group leading things? Or are you worried that it'll turn out that you don't actually like the things you think you've 'learned' to like?

And hell, if it's all learned behaviour, in your view, then what makes one thing more beautiful than another thing? Nothing but an 'elites' suggestion. If you can be taught to view a rose as equal to shit than why defend anything as beautiful? It's all an illusion, it's all a lie, it's all true, it's all beautiful. In that light, your defense is nothing but defense of the status-quo and has nothing to do with beauty at all.

Have you ever read anything about Aesthetic theory?

Well, they have too much ostentatious "good taste" for their own good ... and they confuse it with good design ...

I think the reason why the TD Centre was such a big deal when it was built wasn't because it supposedly spoke in a "secret and codified language" to a small elite but because it was beautiful in proportion and form, and met the practical requirements of the TD's corporate culture for new office space housed in a distinctive headquarters. What makes the complex work for the viewer are the same things that make any beautiful structure work - proportion, form, colour, texture, the use of space, the placement of objects in space, and the spaces between the objects. We don't need to understand a codified language to "get" the Taj Mahal or the Parthenon or any other handsome building either - they speak in a way that crosses cultures and doesn't require an interpreter. Besides, how can the code of what makes something beautiful be broken? We can appreciate it, and marvel at it, but quantify it? How? We can determine that Mies incorporated the Golden Section in the modules that make up the TD Centre, but that goes only part way to understanding what makes it work.

I don't think we can break the code. Some things are beautiful for reasons we could never explain, or have explained to us. We just know the beauty in our gut.

Perhaps TD Centre isn't a very good example precisely because Mies' use of the golden ratio is abundantly clear, no matter how codified the rest of the structure is (or isn't).

Not always I'm sure, but in terms of what we are discussing...the higher arts, then I'm afraid that it's usually the cream of the crop which dictates this. But yes, in a lot of ways, the inmates have definetely taken over the prison....how else do you explain hip hop?

What? How can you not like an entire 'genre' of music? Maybe you just don't understand the coding and theory behind it. :D

I always wished the Bay-Wellington tower was two towers and not joined together. It looks good in some lights, but in others it's not so pretty.

I always wished the Bay-Wellington tower was two towers and not joined together. It looks good in some lights, but in others it's not so pretty.

Hey Hey hey there missy...how dare you interupt our pontificating on the existential reasoning behind the love-hate relationship with TD by "getting back on topic".

Come to think of it, the topic is "obliterate", not "separate".

But....personally, I prefer Bay-Wellington tower over the CT Tower (or whatever they are calling it these days), simply because it seems to flow from top to bottom better. Although they are both sub-par IMO. They are just not in the same league as the other big bank towers in the financial district, which are all seriously good examples of their styles/architects.

Why are you so comfortable being condescended to? Are you only worth what 'elites' tell you you're worth? Or are you worried that you might feel alienated by another group leading things? Or are you worried that it'll turn out that you don't actually like the things you think you've 'learned' to like?

Oh man...you have it so wrong. I think it has to do with who you perceive as the "elite". It isn't some dark secret society...it is simply "those most knowledgable or qualified".

There's a reason why we only allow dentists to work on our teeth, as opposed to just anybody. There's a reason only pilots can fly an airliner. There's a reason only the best atheletes go to the olympics. There's a reason only certain people are professors. Because they are all the most knowledgeable or qualified in their fields. They are the "elite". I don't feel condescended to because my dentist knows more about my teeth than I do.

And it is society in general that creates the elites because that is what we want....and why wouldn't we?

Why would that not apply to art, literature, fashion, architecture?

Of course...it does.

Have you ever read anything about Aesthetic theory?

Everything from Aristotle to Marshall McLuhan...and too much inbetween. I hope for your sake that wasn't a rhetorical question.

But....personally, I prefer Bay-Wellington tower over the CT Tower (or whatever they are calling it these days), simply because it seems to flow from top to bottom better. Although they are both sub-par IMO. They are just not in the same league as the other big bank towers in the financial district, which are all seriously good examples of their styles/architects.

Though they're of trivia-contest interest as Toronto's first built SOM towers. Personally, I find they're as underrated as Scotia Plaza is overrated--at least, 161 Bay is; or at least its Kharkov Gosprom-influenced top is.

BTW remember that 181 Bay was originally planned to have twin finials to match the dirigible mast at 161 Bay--their deletion is why Bay-Wellington's flat-topped mass seems so Siamese-twin awkward.

I'm considering starting the Cheddington Appreciation Society. Who's with me?

cheddington2_lg.jpg

cheddington1_lg.jpg

cheddington3_lg.jpg

Back