4.1K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 7.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 1.9K     0 

googspecial

Member Bio
Reaction score
I've noticed lots of people with dogs off leash on the pathway in pumphouse park, has this always been the case? There's a sign there that I'm not sure I noticed before, pretty dumb place for dogs off leash IMO.
I've noticed lots of people with dogs off leash on the pathway in pumphouse park, has this always been the case? There's a sign there that I'm not sure I noticed before, pretty dumb place for dogs off leash IMO.
I agree it's a pretty dumb place for off-leash, but I do frequent it every now and then with mine. The river access is nice. There's a worse off-leash area just to the east - on the west side of 14 ST inside one of those pretzel loop ramps.
https://maps.calgary.ca/OffLeashDogAreas/

Col du Edworthy

Member Bio
Reaction score
I agree it's a pretty dumb place for off-leash, but I do frequent it every now and then with mine. The river access is nice. There's a worse off-leash area just to the east - on the west side of 14 ST inside one of those pretzel loop ramps.
https://maps.calgary.ca/OffLeashDogAreas/
My interpretation of the bylaw is regardless if it's off-leash anytime a dog is on a city pathway they must be leashed. Complicated when the pathway runs through an off-leash area

My personal pet peeve is the off-leash area below Crescent Road. Always nerve racking coming down the pathway when dogs are running across. And without fail the owners see a bike coming and react by frantically calling their dog who then runs right in front of you rather than just leaving them be

Edit: Found this link https://www.calgary.ca/csps/abs/animal-services/dog-leash-guidelines.html. Not sure what "If there are signs indicating that this is allowed" means

A dog can be off-leash:​

• In areas designated by signs as off-leash areas.
  • Some pathways cut through off-leash areas. On some of these pathways, dogs may be off leash if there are signs indicating that this is allowed.

Last edited:

Mountain Man

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Calgary
It should only be on pathways that get little traffic, pumphouse probably has a few thousand 2 wheel users a day! (and some 4 wheel users as well).

Edit, I'm retracting the above. Dogs should only be off leash in open areas, no pathways at all!

UrbanWarrior

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Calgary
I can't stand when I'm taking Aurora for a walk and some random dips hit has his dog off leash in the middle of a non-off-leash area… like a kilometre or so from the nearest off-leash park. Like, do dumbasses not understand that not every dog is capable of that level of self control? Keep your damn dog away from mine, by keeping it under control… per the law. #endrant