News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

My gut says they're done, and that's what my gut has been saying for the past month. Because the Jets and Preds aren't exactly on fire, I'm still holding out some hope they can, but when they lose to a team like Anaheim or Arizona or got dominated by a good team, I come back to what my gut tells me and that's that it isn't going to happen

I bet most of us have had the gut feeling they weren’t gonna make the playoffs. It’s a number of different reasons, but I also think they’ve been unlucky this season.
Aside from bad goaltending and not getting scoring at times they haven’t gotten good bounces.
This article actually covers a few of the points fairly well.
Apparently the flames lead the league in goal posts, which isn’t surprising. I think Mangiapane leads the league in goal posts as a player..

Jets have a tougher finish to their schedule. With 83 points and 10 games left, if the Jets continue to play .400 hockey that gets them to 91 points

Meanwhile, the Flames also have 10 games remaining, with a much easier schedule. Sitting at 79 points, if the Flames continue to play .500 hockey that gets them to 89 points and means they miss the playoffs.

Jets Schedule, with this win/loss record gets them in the playoffs...
W-ANA
L-LAK
W-SJ
W-DET
L-NJD
L-CGY
L-NSH
W-SJ
L-MIN
L-COL

If the Flames Schedule, with this win/loss record happens...
L-VGK
W-SJ
L-LA
W-VAN
L-ANA
W-CHI
W-WIN
L-VAN
L-NSH
W-SJ

Jets still have margin for error, the flames do not. But the flames do have a much easier schedule, and we all know how good they are at getting the loser point.

Jets go .500 they get 93 points, they go .600 that's 95. As a benchmark I'd say the Flames need 96 and they're guaranteed in. To do that they need 17 points out of the next 10 games (record of: 8-1-1), so they're going to need some help or to turn into a completely different team.

Of note: Flames get to 93 points (6-2-2) and 95 points (7-1-2), they have a shot if Winnipeg continues to play .400 hockey.

Lots of rumours and chatter about a lot of Flames players being very unhappy with Sutter and not wanting to come back if he's here next year. If (when) they miss the playoffs this could be another interesting offseason. I think Sutter's extension starts next year too...

Lots of rumours and chatter about a lot of Flames players being very unhappy with Sutter and not wanting to come back if he's here next year. If (when) they miss the playoffs this could be another interesting offseason. I think Sutter's extension starts next year too...
He was brought in to get middling team over the hump. I don't think his brand works well with teams that are struggling to get to the hump.

I have heard chatter from a while back, even early last season that the players didn't care for Sutter. Sutter has had success in the past, but his style reminds me of Mike Keenan or John Tortorella, and how their style worked on teams with talented players who bought in. I think the players tolerate those types of coaches when the team is winning, but it goes sideways quickly when the team isn't winning. At least Tortorella and Keenan were able to say good things about their players at pressers, but I've rarely ever heard that from Sutter since he's been with the Flames, even last year when they had a great season.

I'll see how the next 24 hours go. If the Flames lose, and the Jets and Preds win, it's over. If it's the other way around, I'll keep hoping for a few more days.

a) If the Jets and Preds lose and the Flames win, the flames will be 8 games over .500 same as the Preds, and close to that of the Jets would be 10 games over .500, and there would still be a decent chance.

With 9 games remaining after that the Flames would need to go roughly 7-2 or 6-2-1 if the Jets and Preds play .500 that rest of the season.

b) If the flames lose and the Jets and Preds win, it's basically over. The Flames would need to go roughly 8-1 or 7-1-1 the rest of the way. There's a chance both the Jets and Preds could falter heavily down the stretch, but it would have to be both teams faltering. Between that and the likelyhood Flames winning a bunch, it would basically be all but over.

I'm staking my final predication on the games this evening.

Back