News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Unless Air Canada starts offering flights from Vancouver to Paris, Barcelona, or Rome Calgary would be the best option to get to those cities.
Someone mentioned there is a discount operator out of Barcelona that goes to Vancouver, but not sure what the schedule is like.

You're point is valid though. Anywhere that Westjet goes to from BC/AB/SK that AC doesn't is going to make Calgary a no-brainer. We have Rome and Paris. I already know people in Vancouver who have taken flights to both those places via Calgary, because it was the best option. It looks to me that Vancouver does not do non-stop to Edinburgh, so that could also be an advantage for Calgary. Change here, or at London? If it were me, I'd rather change here.

I met a lot of people doing BC-Paris through Calgary as well.

A direct line Vancouver-Paris exists but it is supplied by Air France, which tends to be really pricy. I've taken that route before and it was 2x more expensive than a YYC-Paris with Westjet. There is definitely a market.

I met a lot of people doing BC-Paris through Calgary as well.

A direct line Vancouver-Paris exists but it is supplied by Air France, which tends to be really pricy. I've taken that route before and it was 2x more expensive than a YYC-Paris with Westjet. There is definitely a market.
Is that Air France direct route to Vancouver still active? Some of the people who were going from Paris to Vancouver said there wasn't a direct flight...unless all the flights were booked maybe?

Edit: I did a quick search, and I see the non-stop via Air France/Delta. You're right about the cost, as it is $1,300 RT. I know the people who did via Calgary/West Jet paid around $800 RT. Flying an hour to Calgary and changing definitely is a minor inconvenience if you can save $500.

Last edited:
I was wondering if this was going to happen after they announced their Toronto-Vancouver route. Too bad it’s out of Pearson and not Toronto Island, but alas, jets may never fly out of the island, and I suppose that’s not such a bad thing.

Great to see YYC bouncing back and headed for even more international traffic. I think it’s fair to say that Canada’s big four airports is where the action is going to be in the future. It’s a trend that’s been happening for some time now. Winnipeg, Halifax, and Ottawa have flatlined for the last 20 years, and Edmonton hasn’t fared much better. I wouldn’t be surprised if they go stagnant. Also, maybe not as bad as Ottawa Winnipeg but I have a feeling they’re not gonna see very much growth.

download (1).jpg

^You can see that YEG has already leveled off starting in 2014. I doubt we’ll see much growth for them in the coming years. It took them longer to flatten out than Ottawa and Winnipeg, but that’s the direction they are going.

They were also essentially doubled in size in 2013. So that makes more sense.

Over that time period WS also started pouring it on in Calgary and increasing it's presence as a hub, drawing connecting traffic from Edmonton. AC has been retreating from YYC but has also been retreating from Edmonton. I agree about the long-term for Edmonton, it will most likely, become more of regional airport feeding into Calgary the way Ottawa feeds in to Montreal, or Portland into Seattle etc..

Great to see YYC bouncing back and headed for even more international traffic. I think it’s fair to say that Canada’s big four airports is where the action is going to be in the future. It’s a trend that’s been happening for some time now. Winnipeg, Halifax, and Ottawa have flatlined for the last 20 years, and Edmonton hasn’t fared much better. I wouldn’t be surprised if they go stagnant. Also, maybe not as bad as Ottawa Winnipeg but I have a feeling they’re not gonna see very much growth.

View attachment 445668
I wonder if this trend of going to centralization/hubs is going to continue pI wonder if this trend of going to centralization slab/hubs is going to continue permanently or if it will continue for a while, then the trend will reverse?
I’m sure airlines love using the hub and spoke system, but at some point customers outside of the big four hubs are going to get tired of only having flights to a hub to get anywhere. Imagine, if in Edmonton eventually the only flights left our flights to Calgary lol

I wonder if this trend of going to centralization/hubs is going to continue pI wonder if this trend of going to centralization slab/hubs is going to continue permanently or if it will continue for a while, then the trend will reverse?
I’m sure airlines love using the hub and spoke system, but at some point customers outside of the big four hubs are going to get tired of only having flights to a hub to get anywhere. Imagine, if in Edmonton eventually the only flights left our flights to Calgary lol
Swoop, Flair, Airline of the week will still exist for leisure, friends, family, origin and destination market.

I think the trend will be permanent, and YYZ, YUL, YVR and YYC will continue to grow disproportional to the other airports as airline travel increases even more world wide. I agree with Darwink, other other airports will still be active and grow somewhat, mainly due to the leisure, friends, family, origin and destination market.
As far as YEG, it hung in for a decade while the airlines decided what it'll be, but if I were a betting man I would say it it'll go the same route Ottawa, Winnipeg etc.. It'll pick up a few flights here and there, but most of the time it'll be more preferable for airlines to route passengers through Calgary. Some folks in YEG might not like it, but the majority won't care if it means access to global flights at decent rates.

Yeah, I can't imagine there would be too many Albertans wanting to go to Dubai during their brutally hot & humid summers. However, summer would be the best season to attract Middle Easterners to Banff/Lake Louise. West Jet and Alberta Tourism should conduct some kind of test marketing campaign in Dubai to determine what interest there might be.
Have to comment that Dubai is a desert, the summers (and springs too) are certainly hot, but not humid!

Back