News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

The combination of both extreme cold, snow and fog over the past few days have been causing a lot of issues at YYC, and to a lesser extent YEG and YWG.

Over the past 72 hours YYC has been ranked 1st, YWG 2nd, YEG 6th for delays on FlightRadar24’s disruption index consistently, which measures the delays at the worlds 300 busiest airports.

Current Average Delays across the prairies:
YYC Dep:
75 mins
YYC Arv: 56 mins

YEG Dep: 49 mins
YEG Arv: 38 mins

YWG Dep: 56 mins
YWG Arv: 116 mins

It’s going to be a bad weekend for air travel in Canada and the US. Nearly every county in the continental US has some form of weather warning, there’s a bomb cyclone developing that will effect the NE US/ Eastern Canada & Maritimes, and extreme cold dipping down all the way into. Utah and across the plains to the Great Lakes. One of the worst weekends I’ve seen in a while.

IMG_0836.jpeg

IMG_0837.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m sure a lot of you know just how cold it is, but i don’t think i’ve ever seen this before.

WestJet just posted on instagram that it so cold that the jet bridge hydraulics are inoperable and their de-icing fluid is ineffective on the planes (-45°). o_O

Question for the avgeeks. I’m in the international terminal ‘D’ and I see a flight Halifax. I thought the international term was only international flights?

Question for the avgeeks. I’m in the international terminal ‘D’ and I see a flight Halifax. I thought the international term was only international flights?
I think D has some swing gates, where an incoming international flight will then turn and operate a domestic run. Two weeks ago I had a flight to Winnipeg that departed in the international terminal, inbound flight was from Cuba.

All flights except USA flights out of YYC are like domestic flights. No pre clearance customs or special security. So as long as they keep everyone isolated upstairs for the US flights then it really doesn’t matter what flights go out of the “International Departures” terminal. The only thing it does offer is a Duty Free shop.

Prior to Covid the international terminal was used exclusively for international flights. During Covid the airport switched things up and started scheduling domestic flights out of the international terminal and essentially closed down all the A gates as a cost saving measure. The airport has said their intention is to switch back to an international only operation from the international terminal however we are 2 years past the "end" of Covid and nothing has changed so who knows?

Up until a few weeks ago, passengers using the D terminal could choose to pass through duty free or enter directly without walking through duty free but now it appears that the direct entry is only for employees and everyone else must pass through duty free even if their flight is domestic. Wonder why they did that? It would just confuse domestic passengers.

Wonder why they did that? It would just confuse domestic passengers.
I was one of those confused domestic passengers. There was a sign to go right, which led down a hallway to a blank wall, and then a sign behind me that pointed back the way I came. I assume this is where the entrance used to be?

Ideally the signage would have said STOP and GO THROUGH DUTY FREE well back from where I was.

Last summer flying to Vancouver I was standing around the intl bag drop like a dunce since my flight was flying out of D, until I asked AC staff and turns out I had to drop my bags off at the domestic terminal then walk back to intl to go thru security :rolleyes:
You still could have gone through domestic security and taken the mini tram from there to D.

Back