4961F23200000578-0-image-a-2_1519058381649.jpg

South Korea built an 11k seat soccer stadium at their ski jump venue.

img_0043.jpg

I thought it was just shoddy erosion fences, but the bleacher situation might actually be salvageable.

New fantasy plan:

1. Fill the bowl until you have a football field size of flat space
2. Ideally remove/sell the skilift (it was first installed in 1998...not sure if it was new or used at that point, but there actually is a market for used chairlifts), but you could also move the bottom terminal to the SE corner of the field
3. Install some permanent bleachers on the lower levels of the east side; higher rows probably need some remediation, but could eventually be a BYOC situation
4. Winter = hockey rink + leisure rink + outdoor speed rink; it should hold up pretty well with the northern exposure. Bleachers should also work for the mogul course and maybe a 'big-air' jump on the ski-jump landing zone.
Summer = soccer/football, and hopefully some music! Should be fairly insulated from a sound/noise standpoint
5. Probably some new parking and other facilities near the zipline base...seems like otherwise nothing will ever happen there .

The two biggest jumps probably aren't feasible without even more substantial earth moving, and you'd still have bad crosswinds. This would bring more facilities to make the smaller ski jump training areas a little bit better.
The large ski jump is used for something very useful that I'm assuming at least covers whatever minimal costs they have maintaining it. Its a cell tower. Something will happen with this area, what? I don't know. When? Probably not in this decade. If we chose to go for the Olympics that might've turned this into something (I think the plan was to use Whistler's jumps).

I like the creative ideas for what to do with it though, music venue is pretty intriguing and having a field for this community couldn't hurt either. We'll see.

Last edited:
Are the ski jumps in Whistler functional? if so that's enough for the national team to train on, such a small sport to spend any real money on. They should build a permanent big air venue here like they had in Beijing, COP could host Xgames one day and big air is a part of that.

Are the ski jumps in Whistler functional? if so that's enough for the national team to train on, such a small sport to spend any real money on. They should build a permanent big air venue here like they had in Beijing, COP could host Xgames one day and big air is a part of that.
I can't find anything that says they are open. If you're a ski jumper I don't think you do it in Canada. I could be wrong but I think the Canadian that medaled in ski jumping at this past winter olympics is from Calgary so these facilities do still have a legacy, I just don't think the bigger ones are used. Whistler's are probably closer to competition ready anyhow. As with most things it comes down to money and the money or motivation just isn't there to do anything with these jumps or that land.

The whole of Winsport and Trinity Hills has potential, so far (IMO) it hasn't met that potential. But not all my hope for a proper "Mountain" village is lost.

Last edited:
A bit of a meandering tangent...I don't think there is actually any land at the base area suitable for residential, but it made me wonder about the land around the ski jumps. I found an article from 2018 that the smaller jump towers were to be dismantled, but that doesn't seem to have happened. I wonder what else they'll do with that area, but it seems like the big landing zone/amphitheatre would be a really cool venue for outdoor music.
Plenty of land right here, no? I imagine the long term goal would be to develop the base area as an extension of the westernmost Trinity Hills parcel. Ideally this development would provide sustainable cashflow to enable the long term renewal of the COP facilities.

The large ski jump is used for something very useful that I'm assuming at least covers whatever minimal costs they have maintaining it. Its a cell tower.
They also use it for the zip-line...I think they used to do tours of it too (I remember going as a kid...not sure if it was a field-trip or what). I hope it remains in the skyline for a long time, but they should give up any hope of using them for ski jumping.

Plenty of land right here, no? I imagine the long term goal would be to develop the base area as an extension of the westernmost Trinity Hills parcel. Ideally this development would provide sustainable cashflow to enable the long term renewal of the COP facilities.

I'm sure something could work there, but it would be disruptive to their core-business and pretty risky IMO. They're surrounded by TH, West Dristrict, and Greenwich developments. I'm not sure consumers would find it any more appealing than any of those (it's closer to living in a Disneyland parking lot than a mountain-resort base...)

A project that would make some sense is a hotel (perhaps with some suites designed for longer-term stays). There's two big hotels across the highway, but Winsport would probably love some more conference rooms/event hosting space.

They also have a pretty big site available in the NW corner; no idea if they have it earmarked for anything in the future. I think Winsport's biggest issue is having too many too broad mandates. I think you can be a recreation attraction+event centre+training centre, but they are all over the map within each of those categories and need to develop a more narrow focus/vision.

Winter X Games Canada was going to be a thing, in Calgary but it hit a bunch of roadblocks

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/winter-x-games-won-t-be-coming-to-calgary-1.4665479
https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/calgary-...es-in-2021-not-2020-tourism-calgary-1.4658937

I'm not sure if they still have motorized events (snowmobile-cross, etc.), but it's a bit funny that Stampede got the flashy render as the potential host-site

The DP drawings for the Deveraux project are now online, found in the DP link.

No fancy renderings, but the site plan shows the proposed internal high street / main street, and the layout of the other buildings. Retail only seems to be between Buildings A and C:
1651094130739.png

Some of the elevation drawings give an idea of the architecture. Seems pretty similar to the other buildings further east in this area:
1651094217242.png

Building A South Elevation:
1651094269011.png

Building B South Elevation:
1651094315673.png

Building C North Elevation:
1651094348827.png

Club House North Elevation:
1651094462119.png

Other elevations for the buildings and the other buildings I didn't post are in the drawing package, just thought I would put up the ones fronting the high street.

Pretty typical townhouse complex in the suburbs, though the developer is usually good enough to provide a damn driveway at least! I only see 14 visitor stalls, so if you live there you better not have friends!
Just because there's a precedent for this terrible type of development doesn't mean we should continue to tolerate it. There are also so many better examples that incorporate actual green space.

What's most surprising to me is the lack of green space within the development. Typically 40% of the site has to be landscaping, and only 40% of that can be hardscape. The fact that this is surrounded by park likely factored in.
The green space is provided by the Paskapoo slopes.. why invest in green space?!..... 🙃

Back