News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Six easy steps to becoming Canadian:

1) Get tourist visa.
2) Go to Ministry of Consumer/Commercial relations and form a 'company'
that has a name very similar to your own name. Cost: $50
3) Get illegal job: waitering, construction, cleaner, nanny, the list is endless
4) Employer can legitimately write checks to Joe Blow Enterprises, declaring
it on their payroll and you can legitimately cash them. Work as long as
you want. $8 an hour ain't bad when your paying no taxes.
5) Meet a female (or male) offer them $10k to 'marry' you. Make sure to
take lots of pictures of your bogus honeymoon, etc.
6) If it takes more than 6 months to meet fake spouse, switch your visa to
'student.' There are plenty of bogus colleges in this town that you can
get a letter from for a couple hundred dollars. It is important that you
stay 'in status' while here. This buys you another 6 months. Hell,
getting a 6 month extension on your tourist visa is easy - just write a
heart wrenching story about wanting to visit Vancouver, Quebec, etc.

Once you are 'sponsored' under family class, it takes less than a year to 'land.' Heck, once you've gotten your 'letter of intent' you can go ahead and apply for a temporay work permit, health card and SIN. That usually takes no more than 6 months.

Of course, if you want to add an extra layer of legitimacy to your application, feel free to get a paralegal to assist you. They can 'coach' you on how to ensure your application whisks through trouble-free. Cost: $3,500

To be honest, I'm not sure I advocate totally open borders where its just a rubberstamp and you're in. Canada needs to retain its sovereignty and I support that very much.

Yet, sir, you disagree when I make that argument.

But the process has to be rational. An American should be able to apply for a work permit, even without a job, and have it approved for a specified period of time. So long as a criminal background check comes up clean, it should be approved, no questions asked. During the time an American immigrant on a temporary work permit is living in Canada, they should make an effort to find employment, prove they intend to stay, and then apply for permanent residency.

A permanent application, if applied for, should be processed within a reasonable 3-6 months so long as the paperwork is in order (FBI security clearance in hand, references from employers, bank statements proving income and stability).

I highly agree....the caveat being, that there should be reciprocity from the US government with regards to Canadians seeking employment and residency in the US. That's tends to be how these things work internationally.

The current process is insane, and I don't like the "new" process the Conservatives just put in place. Gives officers the right to reject applications at will before even reviewing them. That's certainly going to speed the process up, but it makes it far less fair. They are basically making an unfair system even more unfair in the name of speeding up applications. I welcome the speed, I cringe at the thought my application wouldn't even be considered.

That's your take on it. The process has always been exactly the same. I have a close friend who is an immigration officer and he has not detailed any changes. Neither have my liaison contacts at border services. All the Conservatives have done is codify all the unwritten rules that CBSA and Immigration Canada personnel followed.

These rules are in place to ensure security. For example, LA gang members usually tattoo an area code on their wrist. A sharp eyed CBSA agent would probably deny entry to an individual who had said markings. Likewise, for example, if they believe you will overstay. Showing up with nobody to pick you up at the airport or no address of a friend in Canada is usually a good indicator of this. These practices and policies are not political. They are there to ensure the sovereignty of Canada and the protection of Canadian citizens. And its no different than that followed by many other countries including the US.

There should be a process, it shouldn't just be someone goes across the border and instantly has access. But the process needs to be reasonable, today it is not reasonable.

Again, your opinion. I grew up in the Middle East. Try getting into one of their countries....you'll find that the Canadian immigration officer is much more reasonable and personable and far more willing to assist you. According to my contacts, Canadian immigration officers always give the traveller the benefit of the doubt when it comes to entry on site. It's pretty much up to someone to really disqualify themselves....see above for examples.

The Canadian government only accepts about 2,000 Americans a year out of the 250,000 to 300,000 people it accepts any given year. That's a very low percent.

First, I would suspect that this has more to do with the number of American applicants. When a US citizen can work here under a variety of visas (particularly under NAFTA), and retain residency for long periods of time, there will likely be little incentive to actually seek permanent residency. Second, while 2000 out of 250 000 may seem low, given that the US population is only about 5% of the global population, if there is a quota, the US wouldn't be entitled to that much. But the numbers do seem a tad low. Agreed. And thankfully, there is no quota, we simply take the best.

I mean come on, being protectionist against Americans who want to genuinely become Canadian citizens isn't helping anyone. And vice versa, I believe Canadians who are disenchanted with Canadian life should feel free to move south.

That's your assertion. I highly doubt that the Government of Canada has any protectionist practices or attitudes towards US citizens. If anything, the government goes out of its way to assist Americans. Heck, they created a whole new category (visas under NAFTA) just for US and Mexican citizens. And the time spent under those visas can even be credited towards citizenship.

Immigration from the US would only strengthen Canadian sovereignty, because virtually every American I know who wants to move north wants to do so because of a purpose, or a series of reasons. Its anything BUT trying to make Canada more "American". People want to go from the US to Canada because they are generally unhappy with the US so I don't see what the threat over sovereignty is.

I would argue that being swamped by immigrants from any particular part of the world would damage Canadian sovereignty and Canada's nature. But I would concur with your assertion that most Americans who move to Canada move here to take on our values.

As for people being unhappy in the US....like I pointed out before, that's for you guys to sort out at the ballot box. I am no fan of Bush, but were he elected here I would be campaigning against his policies not abandoning my fellow citizens by jumping ship. WRT unhappy Americans moving to Canada, again I say come one come all, as long as you meet the criteria that our government has laid out as the law of this land.

Coming back to my point on the US deserters, I stand by my assertion that they do not qualify for residency under our laws and should be deported. And I firmly believe that accepting them would not be in Canada's best interest. Our refugee and immigration policies have not been crafted in response to US foreign policy. If an American kid decides to join the US Armed Forces, get sent to a conflict that the US is embroiled in, doesn't like it and wants out, how is that the business of Canada? I suggest he seek redress through the courts in the US, and failing that, agitate politically for a change in the country's political situation. But, please leave Canada out of it.

Canada has long provided refuge, for Americans escaping from their government's domestic policies or from their evil foreign wars. We did so in the days of the Underground Railroad, during Vietnam, and we ought to be doing more of it now, not less.

Canada has long provided refuge, for Americans escaping from their government's domestic policies or from their evil foreign wars. We did so in the days of the Underground Railroad, during Vietnam, and we ought to be doing more of it now, not less.

As I have detailed here. I am not against refuge for people truly escaping oppression. However, I don't think its a good idea to assist people who seemingly make poor decisions. They don't meet the definition of convention refugees and by being accepted they could very well be taking the spot of someone that is truly escaping oppression. There's no draft on, that they have to escape. If you join the Army, then decide you don't like what you are doing. And you have no evidence that you personally were compelled to participate in any human rights abuse, etc. then why should Canada give you refuge. If you disagree with your army terms of service, appeal them in the US courts and seek a discharge.

The Canadian courts apparently also concur with this view. The Supreme Court flat out refused to hear the case. Given that our courts are fairly left leaning, I think it shows that their case is pretty weak.

It's a matter of civil law: a contract is being broken. It doesn't matter whether allegations of misrepresentation and fraud during the sales process are true. 'Buyer Beware' is a good motto to live by. Know what you are signing.

As I have detailed here. I am not against refuge for people truly escaping oppression. However, I don't think its a good idea to assist people who seemingly make poor decisions. They don't meet the definition of convention refugees and by being accepted they could very well be taking the spot of someone that is truly escaping oppression. There's no draft on, that they have to escape. If you join the Army, then decide you don't like what you are doing. And you have no evidence that you personally were compelled to participate in any human rights abuse, etc. then why should Canada give you refuge. If you disagree with your army terms of service, appeal them in the US courts and seek a discharge.

The Canadian courts apparently also concur with this view. The Supreme Court flat out refused to hear the case. Given that our courts are fairly left leaning, I think it shows that their case is pretty weak.

Sadly it's looking more like the US up here when I read a post like this. It's not something I celebrate.

Sadly it's looking more like the US up here when I read a post like this. It's not something I celebrate.

Agreed...and that's why I think we should keep some healthy space between us and them. I see no need to stick our nose in their business.

Agreed...and that's why I think we should keep some healthy space between us and them. I see no need to stick our nose in their business.

Considering you come across in your thoughts and posts as the type of American I escaped from by moving here, that's a really rich statement.

^ I would suggest that you are the one who is advocating interfering in the internal affairs of another democratic nation.

I am a proud Canadian first and foremost. I based my views on what I perceive to be in the Canadian interest. And I dont define my Canadian identity by what I am not: American. You may consider being Anti-american, your way of being Canadian. But to me being Canadian is about much more than remaining focused on the United States.

In this case, the Canadian interest lies in not accepting US deserters who would not qualify as convention refugees anywhere else in the world. The Supreme Court seems to agree with me. Our laws exist for a reason. I dont believe they should be bent based on which way the prevailing (in this case...anti-american, anti-bush, etc.) wind blows. Thats not how good long term consistent policy is made.

Russian conscripts fighting in Georgia on the other hand, will have much more of a case.

I think a lot of Americans who have escaped to freedom in our tolerant country are anti-American. My Vietnam War deserter friend certainly is, even after being a Canadian citizen for forty years. Who can blame them? The last thing they want is to see the values they escaped from being imported here.

I think a lot of Americans who have escaped to freedom in our tolerant country are anti-American. My Vietnam War deserter friend certainly is, even after being a Canadian citizen for forty years. Who can blame them? The last thing they want is to see the values they escaped from being imported here.

I just think its pathetic that Canadians often define our national identity as simply being in opposition to the US, regardless of right or wrong. Why can't we think of ourselves as an independent nation that makes decisions based on our own self-interest and national values? Sometimes we will cooperate with the US and sometime we won't. This infantile fixation with the US, particularly on its foreign policy, is seriously juvenile and damaging to our national psyche.

Case in point. Mot seems to think I am some arch neo-con simply because I don't support breaking our own laws to accommodate a US deserter. I just don't see how slapping our best neighbour/ally and biggest trade partner, in the face is in the Canadian national interest. Especially if it would take an exception to the established laws and precedents of this country, and risk losing reciprocal treatment from the US.

And I also find it highly suspicious that the deserters seem to choose Canada and not Mexico (which was closer to their bases) or truly anti-American countries like Cuba. Could it be that we are just a highly convenient first world refuge? The courts ruled correctly. They are not welcome here. Let them hit up the beaches of Cuba and peddle their anti-american rhetoric there.

The thing is that, unlike Vietnam, the deserter in question volunteered. These individuals are abandoning the consequences of their own free choice.

The thing is that, unlike Vietnam, the deserter in question volunteered. These individuals are abandoning the consequences of their own free choice.

Not every one sees it so black and white. Soldiers did not forsee the US invading Iraq, creating a civil war where they would be cannon fodder until maybe the next election. The reason for the war was claimed because of 19 hijackers, none of which were from Iraq. 15 of them were from Saudi Arabia.

The US military hasn't been so blatantly abused since Vietnam. Giving safe harbour to those not interested in continuing the daily terrorism should be welcomed here, not thrown out so they are put in prison and treated as criminals for the rest of their lives. Sadly Canada lost something in the last 40 years, I hope it's found again. I blame it on the ridiculous wave of Neo-Conservatism destroying the US and hopefully not Canada too. lest we not forget if Harper was in office in 2003, he would have pushed for this country to be in Iraq slaughering and being slaughtered for nothing.

It's a healthy thing that our national identity is sustained by a widespread distrust of tyranny, surely?

Well said. It seems isolationism and fear of the United States has made some people impotent against tyranny.

Am I anti American, of course I am. What's the US doing to make me proud of it. Domestic and foreign policies are a disaster.

Back