News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Furthermore, Canada should welcome these people as productive members of society. This isn't even about a political statement, its about Canada welcoming more people to a young nation whose future is far more important than the present.

IMHO Canada is doing a poor job accepting peaceful people who want to be there. Its only the second largest landmass of any nation on earth for crying out loud. With only 33 million people your goverment should welcome practically any American who is sick and tired of the status quo down here.

I still like Canada a lot, but sometimes it surprises me how hard it is to get basic things accomplished. Every western nation has an insane immigration program regardless where its located.

If no one agrees with my opinion or thinks I don't have a right to say this not being a Canadian citizen, oh well. Canadians who realize how complex LEGAL immigration is would be surprised.

I seem to recall from a previous post of yours that you have been trying to come to Canada and have been running into roadblocks. I do have some sympathy for your situation and I wish you well. Canada's immigration system is recognized as somewhat of a mess. It has been that way for years and years, and answers seem to be elusive.

Having said that, we can't welcome "practically any American" as you put it, or practically any resident of [insert name of any country]. We certainly can't accept someone just because they have a disagreement with their own government, unless they fit certain recognized definitions of a "refugee", which these people clearly are not.

same black soldier you supported in your rant against the CBC host is todays national guard member.
Big difference, in Vietnam the black man was forced to join up, in many cases because well off white folks fled when their nation called. Today's black man, and latino, and plain old white folks is in today's national guard because he signed up.

Big difference, in Vietnam the black man was forced to join up, in many cases because well off white folks fled when their nation called. Today's black man, and latino, and plain old white folks is in today's national guard because he signed up.

And the majority of the US military (regardless of branch) is still caucasian, and many of these deserters seeking an immigrant claim are caucasian.

Is there something in this discussion I haven't read? Why did you just insert race into the discussion when it really isn't the issue? There are poor white people who can't afford a ticket to the border as well.

Race isn't the factor. Gullible kids are the factor. Class is a factor. When recruiters lie, distort, and misrepresent what these teenagers are signing up for, they get caught up in a windstorm they didn't sign up for.

I seem to recall from a previous post of yours that you have been trying to come to Canada and have been running into roadblocks. I do have some sympathy for your situation and I wish you well. Canada's immigration system is recognized as somewhat of a mess. It has been that way for years and years, and answers seem to be elusive.

Having said that, we can't welcome "practically any American" as you put it, or practically any resident of [insert name of any country]. We certainly can't accept someone just because they have a disagreement with their own government, unless they fit certain recognized definitions of a "refugee", which these people clearly are not.

As an American with a college degree and a legitimate paper with legitimate paperwork, I was denied a work permit "just because." There doesn't have to be a reason, immigration officers have pretty much all the discretion at their own disposal. They pick and choose who they don't want half the time, or better yet they don't reject you they just slap a delay on it and make you wait another 12 months.

Maybe I'm bitter from the process, but it doesn't seem to work unless you have a corporate sponsor who is doing an intra-company transfer or an inter-company transfer to an affiliate in Canada or vice versa to the US.

Immigration has a lot of catch 22 scenarios: you are educated, willing to work, young. Seems like it would be a given that you'd get automatic acceptance, right? Perfect demographic, perfect fit. Especially from America where the native language and culture is not that big of a trade-off going from one place to another (vice versa for Canadians coming south).

But I cannot tell you how many discussions I've had with HR departments across the GTA for jobs I've applied for where it goes like this... HR reviews my application, I have even been through an interview before, and they ask me if I have a social insurance number. I admit to not being a resident even before the interview, and advise its a relatively quick process to get the HRSDC approval and work permit ready, I pay for it and can do all the main paperwork.

They graciously say "we'd love to look into hiring you, but without a social insurance number I'm afraid we can't."

I then tell HR dept. at random company that in order to get SIN it will require sponsoring my application, I do all the work, but all they have to do is an HRSDC confirmation, I give them the information.

I either a) never hear back or b) they aren't interested to persue further

But if I go to the border without the HRSDC paperwork, EVEN WITH A JOB OFFER IN HAND I cannot get approved because its not been HRSDC approved (a separate process from immigration itself).

...Nevermind that NAFTA rules state that for specific positions (including technical support and database management, my field) are totally EXEMPT from HRSDC approval processes.

They always give some excuse that I don't have "enough" education or "enough" experience to avoid that approval process.

Its all a bunch of nonsense.

I understand if someone who lacks proper language skills (knows zero english or french), shows up with no education, maybe a health problem or two, and is obviously going to be sucking from public services as much as they give back to be given a few checks, especially if they are from nations known for drug activity or terrorist activities. Say Colombia or Afghanistan. They should deserve the extra scruitiny IMO, not because we should racially profile, but because there are some serious security and public risks to evaluate.

But a college educated American, right next door, who has no health issues and loves Canada?

Come on...

Makes no sense to me. I've yet to find that corporate sponsor, but I'm working out other arrangements this summer. We'll see if the third time is a charm!

Passing through Jackson, MI, last month, we stopped at the Jackson Crossing mall early on a Saturday morning. One of the mall's anchors, along with Target and whatever else, is a huge recruiting centre...army, navy, marines, air force. There was one kid inside and when we walked by I wanted to bang on the window and scream "Don't do it!"

Passing through Jackson, MI, last month, we stopped at the Jackson Crossing mall early on a Saturday morning. One of the mall's anchors, along with Target and whatever else, is a huge recruiting centre...army, navy, marines, air force. There was one kid inside and when we walked by I wanted to bang on the window and scream "Don't do it!"

Yea, I actually played games with the recruiters. They would call me and basically ask to schedule a meeting, and I'd tell them I'd show up at x time for x purpose and never show up... If I remember, I even told a recruiter I was uncomfortable meeting at the actual place and said I'd like to talk in a more informal setting to get information, and totally stood the guy up.

Its GREAT when you screw around with them. ;) They were desperate to sign people up back in 2000 and were willing to do these "casual" meetings, I can only imagine what kinds of games you could get away with now!

Its GREAT when you screw around with them. ;) They were desperate to sign people up back in 2000 and were willing to do these "casual" meetings, I can only imagine what kinds of games you could get away with now!
If that keeps up, they'll make statement of intent to conduct further discussions a defacto sign-up.

Two questions for you WWJD?

Your Anglican Church was very supportive of Mr. Barrie back in VietNam. What's changed in 40 years?

Perhaps we can arrange a war resister to speak at your church. You might learn something about them.

Two questions for you WWJD?
Who or what is WWJD? If it's another poster here, why quote me above?
Your Anglican Church was very supportive of Mr. Barrie back in VietNam. What's changed in 40 years?
I didn't know that the Anglican Church even knew of Mr. Barrie back in Vietnam. IIRC, Barrie never made it to Vietnam.
Perhaps we can arrange a war resister to speak at your church. You might learn something about them.
They willingly signed up for US military service, and now do not want to serve, and now want my country to save them from their own idiocy, naivety and ignorance. That's all I need to know.

This "war resister" term is ridiculous. A true war resister would be, well, resisting the war, first of all by not signing up to fight, and then by staying in the USA to campaign against it, not by running away from it to some foreign country. I tell you something though, I hope you and every deserter fails in their bid to enter Canada, and that any attempts to abuse our visitor visa or refugee program is caught and punished through arrest and deportation.

Gullible kids are the factor.

If anything, gullible adults. But is it true that all who enter the service by choice are automatically doing so because they are gullible?

Who or what is WWJD? If it's another poster here, why quote me above?I didn't know that the Anglican Church even knew of Mr. Barrie back in Vietnam. IIRC, Barrie never made it to Vietnam.They willingly signed up for US military service, and now do not want to serve, and now want my country to save them from their own idiocy, naivety and ignorance. That's all I need to know.

This "war resister" term is ridiculous. A true war resister would be, well, resisting the war, first of all by not signing up to fight, and then by staying in the USA to campaign against it, not by running away from it to some foreign country. I tell you something though, I hope you and every deserter fails in their bid to enter Canada, and that any attempts to abuse our visitor visa or refugee program is caught and punished through arrest and deportation.

How about your churches support of the many Mr Barrie's during Viet Nam?

For so many their religion goes as deep as a sign with cute phrases. I understand you don't want to listen to these men and women because you might actually have to open a closed mind.

The same guy who wrote this ignorant mess. FYI-Iraq had nothing to do with the Islamic Fundamentalism that was brought upon the US on 9/11

"The Islamic world had just declared war on the USA through Saudi-funded (and oil backed) terrorism. Where did you think the US army was going to go? It's going to Afghanistan to get Bin Laden (still waiting, of course), and then to Iraq to finish off Saddam, and then likely to Iran to crush more Muslims, and then if Syria or even Saudi Arabia messes up, they'd better watch out too."

Writes this against others who learned the war was based on lies after signing up. Lies you perpetuate in the above referenced post.

"They willingly signed up for US military service, and now do not want to serve, and now want my country to save them from their own idiocy, naivety and ignorance. That's all I need to know"

Laughable and sad at the same time. In addition Canada is your country just as much as it's mine. Neither of us was born here, but we chose it. I get that you already have learned all you need to know. I choose to continue to learn.

For so many their religion goes as deep as a sign with cute phrases.
..and it appears that for some, their oath to serve doesn't go very deep at all. Honestly though, what does religion have to do with those that desert their posts and leave others to fill their boots? Find me a mainstream religion today that advocates giving sanctuary to volunteer soldiers serving democratically elected governments who shirk their duty. If you can find one, then good, well done, now go knock on their door. Meanwhile, many churches in Canada are working hard to protect real refugees from those that want to kill them for no reason other than their ethnicity or opinions.

Giving sanctuary to American deserters is a joke. If I had joined the US Army, or CAF and I was against a deployment to the point where I couldn't morally take part, then I'd put on my formal best uniform, present myself to the CO and MPs, and declare that I am unwilling to take part, and willing to take the consequences. At worst, they'll throw you in military jail for a few months for dereliction of duty, and then discharge you. Heck, US army deserter Charles Jenkins was released from military jail recently after serving only 25 days for abandoning his squadron in 1965 and defecting to North Korea, where he lived for nearly four decades! If you refuse to go to Iraq, they're not going to shoot you for goodness sakes. There's a whole system and network for claiming conscientious objector status, http://www.objector.org/advice/conscientious_objector-12.html#pgfId-119 http://ipsnews.net/interna.asp?idnews=17584

Well look whose sponsoring Urban Toronto now...

imgad

^LOL

Ad software is rather good at targeting audiences huh?

Back