News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

What BS. You don't need a lawyer to emigrate to Canada. Go to your local Canadian embassy or consulate, apply, and wait. No lawyers will speed that process along.

I used to work for an MP in Scarborough and it used to drive me nuts how folks, themselves usually non-citizens would waste the office's time on requests for immigration assistance for their relatives. Get in line, simply.

some immigration lawyers are crooks. i knew a guy that was milked for thousands of dollars. they take the cash and wait for the applicant get deported while saying "we're doing everything we can".

What BS. You don't need a lawyer to emigrate to Canada. Go to your local Canadian embassy or consulate, apply, and wait. No lawyers will speed that process along.

I used to work for an MP in Scarborough and it used to drive me nuts how folks, themselves usually non-citizens would waste the office's time on requests for immigration assistance for their relatives. Get in line, simply.

I didn't realize MPs only work for citizens. How sad.

I didn't realize MPs only work for citizens. How sad.
They represent only the citizens in their riding. Why should a MP do anything for those just visiting or those not willing or able to make the final commitment to this country?

I was a landed immigrant for years, and finally realized myself that it wouldn't be fair or honest to ask the Canadian government for anything unless I was a citizen of the country.

Just by looking at people or having a brief conversation with them and you know their future intentions on citizenship. You obviously know it takes at least 3 years to become a citizen after you land. MPs should represent every person in their riding.

One can't just assume anything on the basis of a brief conversation.

As for an MP representing every person in their riding, do you mean people who wish to stay in Canada even without legal right to do so?

One can't just assume anything on the basis of a brief conversation.

As for an MP representing every person in their riding, do you mean people who wish to stay in Canada even without legal right to do so?

Of course not. I am just about certain the families asking for help from the MP for other familiy members were here legally, they just weren't citizens as was noted.

Just like I am asking people here legally (like myself) to call on behalf of the soldiers. No I am not a citizen yet, I will be, and I pay their salaries just as much as any citizen.

The likelihood of an application passing without a lawyer preparing the paperwork and representing you is much less in terms of permanent immigration.

For work permits having a lawyer is not a requirement at all to be successful, but that doesn't guarantee permanent residency.

Absolutely, if these deserters are allowed to stay it will be a great thing. Nice to see something being done.

I wouldnt get too excited, the vote is non-binding. The government position is once someone has gone through the legal process, they are expected to respect the results and leave the country when asked. The Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada ruled the resisters had not exhausted legal alternatives in the U.S., and would not face persecution if they returned. As much as I empathize, they need to go back home and face the consequences of their actions and keep us out of it.

I wouldnt get too excited, the vote is non-binding. The government position is once someone has gone through the legal process, they are expected to respect the results and leave the country when asked. The Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada ruled the resisters had not exhausted legal alternatives in the U.S., and would not face persecution if they returned. As much as I empathize, they need to go back home and face the consequences of their actions and keep us out of it.

Why?

Empathy? I think you mean sympathy. Anyone who can put themselves in these soldiers shoes would never want to send them back.

Why?

Empathy? I think you mean sympathy. Anyone who can put themselves in these soldiers shoes would never want to send them back.
Send them back to face their consequences of their actions. They're not facing a firing squad or likely any jail time. And can we drop this "war resister" term. A resister is someone who is fighting to resist the war, not someone who signs up to be a soldier runs because he doesn't want to take part in a war.

Send them back to face their consequences of their actions. They're not facing a firing squad or likely any jail time. And can we drop this "war resister" term. A resister is someone who is fighting to resist the war, not someone who signs up to be a soldier runs because he doesn't want to take part in a war.

You prove that a little information is a dangerous thing. Why not talk to some of these soldiers, you didn't take me up on that challenge. By your response you don't grasp the implication of sending them back and obviously you are not interested in being anything other than petulant towards them. If that what floats your boat, good on you.

Where is your Christian love for these men and women? You'd make a great Republican.

Back