News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Re: Robert Fung Leaving TWRC/Central Waterfront Designs

^^^^
"If the judges are in that same spirit, Lord Norman Foster's design could be the chosen one."

Man, let's hope so!

Anybody else going to the press conference tomorrow at 2:30?

Louroz
Louroz, I'm off tomorrow and will probably be there. Give me a call on my cell if you get a chance!

I also think West 8 will get it. It's conservative, very Toronto and deals with the issues that need to be dealt with. However, we've been surprised by certain choices made recently that challenge Toronto, namely Libeskind's ROM and Alsop's OCAD. If the judges are in that same spirit, Lord Norman Foster's design could be the chosen one.

I didn't think West 8's proposal was any less conservative than Foster's.

Hey MetroMan and Darkstar,

I'll give both of you a ring later this afternoon.

See you there!

Louroz

Waterfront winner proclaimed
Jun. 2, 2006. 10:37 AM
CHRISTOPHER HUME
URBAN AFFAIRS COLUMNIST

The winner of the Central Waterfront Design Competition won’t be officially announced until 2:30 this afternoon, but the Star has learned that the jury has unanimously chosen West 8.

Headed by Rotterdam landscape architect Adriaan Geuze, the international team, which includes several Toronto architects, proposed a vision of the waterfront as a place of pedestrians, low-rise villages and thousands of trees that would become the city’s "green foot."

West 8 also suggests that Queen’s Quay Blvd. be cut back from four lanes to two, and the space turned over to people. There would also be a water’s-edge promenade that extends out into Lake Ontario joined by bridges that cross the eight slips located along the waterfront between Bathurst and Parliament streets.

The team’s plans, which went well beyond the competition terms of reference, include the dismantling of the Gardiner Expressway and an underground interceptor tunnel that would clean sewer water before it enters the lake.

Though these planning ideas are not part of the competition itself, they indicate the breadth of the winning scheme.

More than anything, the West 8 proposal saw the exercise as one that goes well beyond simply clearing up the awkward spots where the slips, water and road meet; instead its starting point was the need to reconnect Toronto and the lake and create a sustainable neighbourhood on the edge of the water.

West 8 was chosen from five entries received from Europe, the U.S. and Canada. The official announcement will be made today at 2:30 by politicians representing all three levels of government.

The West 8 entry was the first choice of thestar.com readers who voted in an online poll.

www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_PrintFriendly&c=Article&cid=1149242520785&call_pageid=968332188492

Interesting...and thanks for that post.

Their plan's strengths include the heavy use of trees (yeah!!!!!!!) and the respect for the pedestrian around the water edge. Please no maple leaf floating thing though!!!!

It will be interesting to see what, if anything, is taken from this plan and actually built. I am still unsure as to the role these plans have in the actual planning of the waterfront. I hope that aspect is more fully explained today, when they are declared the winner (the winner of what? nicest plan that we would love to have? or actual plan that we will start working on tomorrow?).

Actually I am not disappointed at all Foster lost - as tacky as some aspects of the West 8 scheme is, it will at least work from an urban planning perspective. I do hope they put more focus on N-S connections however.

AoD

SGM:

Sorry, already posted in this thread in Toronto Issues:

p083.ezboard.com/ftoronto...1&stop=144

AoD

Understood. I just assumed that this kind of announcement made more sense in the P&C thread. In terms of projects, its really a huge one that could transform the city and how it interacts with its waterfront.

Waterfront: Innovative Design Competition for Toronto's Central Waterfront

Jun. 2, 2006. 10:49 AM
CHRISTOPHER HUME
URBAN AFFAIRS COLUMNIST

The winner of the Central Waterfront Design Competition won’t be officially announced until 2:30 this afternoon, but the Star has learned that the jury has unanimously chosen West 8.
Headed by Rotterdam landscape architect Adriaan Geuze, the international team, which includes several Toronto architects, proposed a vision of the waterfront as a place of pedestrians, low-rise villages and thousands of trees that would become the city’s "green foot."

West 8 also suggests that Queen’s Quay Blvd. be cut back from four lanes to two, and the space turned over to people. There would also be a water’s-edge promenade that extends out into Lake Ontario joined by bridges that cross the eight slips located along the waterfront between Bathurst and Parliament streets.

The team’s plans, which went well beyond the competition terms of reference, include the dismantling of the Gardiner Expressway and an underground interceptor tunnel that would clean sewer water before it enters the lake.

Though these planning ideas are not part of the competition itself, they indicate the breadth of the winning scheme.

More than anything, the West 8 proposal saw the exercise as one that goes well beyond simply clearing up the awkward spots where the slips, water and road meet; instead its starting point was the need to reconnect Toronto and the lake and create a sustainable neighbourhood on the edge of the water.

West 8 was chosen from five entries received from Europe, the U.S. and Canada. The official announcement will be made today at 2:30 by politicians representing all three levels of government.

The West 8 entry was the first choice of thestar.com readers who voted in an online poll.

EDIT - changed the title of the thread

Re: Robert Fung Leaving TWRC/Central Waterfront Designs/Winn

I love the Maple Leaf Island concept. I think its a wonderful concept.

It does make more sense in the P & C section. This is the Robert Fung Leaving TWRC/Central Waterfront thread. I would have felt the winner would have deserved its own thread that is why I made the mistake of posting it in the P & C section as well. Not everybody has the time to scan through 8 pages of this to locate that article.

the trees would be fantastic, but I'm not certain a bunch of piers will do anything to attract people that don't already go to the island.

either way, something has to give. with this proposal and the expo seemingly on its way, I can't see this area falling through the cracks yet again. but what do I know.

It does seem to be a natural extension of this thread.

Hmm, maybe I can close this thread and reopen the one in P&C. I will move yours Whistler here (SGM's already gone) since it's more of a Toronto waterfront issue, which tends reside in this part of the forum.

AoD

I can see how this might be the right place to post that article as well, but given that we now know who the winner is it seems right we have a new thread dedicated to it. One day I’ll have some breaking news for this site I promise…..

Good one Canuck 36

Back