News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Re: Waterfront winner chosen

Not a fan of a floating maple leaf.

My major concerns is how this arwa will age. The city must maintain this waterfront and not let it slip back into a weedy, run down space.

Seeing that high res arial view it is so sad that the city let go wo much of the waterfront already for development. So many condos sitting on prime parkland. I speK of you area around tip top and queens quay. So much is already lost. It will take some herculian effort to get our waterfront back...even with designs like this. What's the saying? If the worls gives you lemons make lemonade. Let's get squeezing!!!

Are they also resposible for the unesco park and buiilding then?

I hope that this ~is~ just a plan and doesn't actually lead to action because West 8 getting chosen is a huge disappointment!

My suggestion to those (including myself) who were in favour of Foster's 'sail's' to write them and suggest that they come in with the work that has already been done by w8 and bid to build the sails/water drops as part of individual projects on the foot of each major slip as MetroMan1000 suggested. I don't think that Foster's innovative and perfect design (IMFO)should go unnoticed.

www.fosterandpartners.com/

From the Post:

'Bold, simple' waterfront design wins
Boardwalk, floating docks will link 'water with people of Toronto'

James Cowan, National Post
Published: Saturday, June 03, 2006

The winner of an international design competition to rejuvenate Toronto's waterfront wants to transform a muddle of shabby sidewalks and concrete boat slips into a three-kilometre promenade with a wooden boardwalk, pedestrian bridges and lots of trees.

The Toronto Waterfront Revitalization Corporation (TWRC) yesterday unveiled the winning entrant in its search for a new vision for the water's edge between Bathurst and Parliament streets.

The plan presented by West 8, a Dutch architectural firm, will create an 18-metre wide walkway across the waterfront, lined with trees and dotted with floating docks.

"It's connecting the water's edge to the people of Toronto," said Mayor David Miller. "This is about Torontonians taking back their waterfront, having the right and the ability to access the entire water's edge in a way that encourages people to come down to the waterfront."

Officials yesterday said work will begin before year's end. The federal, provincial and municipal governments have already committed a total of $20.1-million toward the first phase, which will likely involve construction of the promenade between Spadina Avenue and York Street.

"The fear of the growing wall of condos is being replaced by three great words: continuous public access," said John Baird, Treasury Board President.

While the proposal calls for the closing of two lanes of Queen's Quay Boulevard to create a pedestrian right-of-way, it does not require existing streetcar tracks to be moved. This will expedite the implementation of West 8's plan, according to principal architect Adriaan Geuze.

"The design we proposed does not change the infrastructure, it only adds stuff .... I think the first project can start in five or six months," he said.

Mr. Geuze, who collaborated with local firms, said his proposal was inspired by his idealized understanding of Canadian cottage country.

"When I asked my father, who is Dutch, what he thought a Canadian lakefront was like, he answered 'timber decks and beautiful lake views and forest and trees above you," Mr. Geuze said. "If you're standing here now, in one of the biggest Canadian cities, the waterfront doesn't look Canadian at all."

West 8's plan also calls for the redevelopment of the eight slips along the waterfront. They have proposed moving the city's ferry terminal to the foot of Yonge Street, converting the Canada Malting Silos at Portland Street into a water filtration plant and building a canoe and kayaking basin at Rees Street. None of these projects will receive funding during the first phase. Mr. Baird said the federal government will "wait and see" on additional requests from the TWRC.

Thirty-eight teams from 15 countries submitted proposals. The five teams that made the shortlist had members from the United Kingdom, United States, the Netherlands, Germany and Canada. Among the competing visions were proposals for 16-storey raindrop-shaped towers, illuminated weather masts and a new island that would be home to a fish hatchery and native cultural centre.

Finalists were judged by a panel chaired by architect Brigitte Shim and included filmmaker Atom Egoyan. The jury was asked to focus on key elements of the designs, including the creation of a promenade across the central waterfront and improvements to Queens Quay Boulevard.

Ms. Shim and her panel unanimously endorsed West 8's proposal as a "bold and unifying design."

"This team proposed a clear, simple and strong idea that can be implemented in the near future," says the jury report.

But Ms. Shim cautioned the jury was not endorsing all of West 8's plan. She dismissed certain elements, such as the construction of floating island in the shape of a maple leaf and the construction of Chinese dragons at the foot of Spadina, as "kitschy."

"We felt they needed to focus their efforts on the key pieces of the project and make sure they didn't get sidetracked," Mr. Shim said.

For his part, Mr. Miller said he liked the idea of the giant floating maple leaf.

"I thought it was kind of fun," he said. "We can let loose occasionally."

jcowan@nationalpost.com

THE JURY

The Design Competition for Toronto's Central Waterfront was decided by a six-member jury:

BRIGITTE SHIM (chairwoman) A principal at the Toronto architectural firm of Shim-Sutcliffe and a professor at the University of Toronto.

CLAUDE CORMIER A Montreal landscape architect who designed Toronto's HtO Park and the landscaping for the proposed new Four Seasons Hotel.

KEN GREENBERG A Toronto-based urban designer who worked on Brooklyn Bridge Park in New York, the Fan Pier in Boston and the implementation of the Regent Park master plan in his home city.

LISE ANNE COUTURE A principal at the New York architectural firm of Asymptote Architecture. Her projects have included the Guggenheim Museum in Guadalajara, Mexico, and Carlos Miele flagship store in New York.

ATOM EGOYAN Toronto filmmaker known for such movies as The Adjuster, Exotica and Where the Truth Lies. He is the recipient of two Academy Award nominations, both for The Sweet Hereafter.

BRUCE MAU Creative director of his own Toronto-based design firm and the creator of the Massive Change exhibit, which appeared last year at the Art Gallery of Ontario.

© National Post 2006

AoD

An Op-Piece by Ouellette, from the Post:

West 8's plan brings cottage life to Toronto
Foreign design partner reminded team: This is Canada

Robert Ouellette, National Post
Published: Saturday, June 03, 2006

Toronto may be about to enter the 21st century. After more than a century of political wrangling, we have a waterfront -- a livable, walkable waterfront as alluring as any city's. Almost.

Yesterday, the Toronto Waterfront Revitalization Corporation revealed the winner of its Waterfront Innovation Competition. West 8's clear, simple and disarmingly competent proposal will start construction later this year. By late next year, the first $20-million or so in improvements will be in place.

Why is their scheme so important? Besides reconnecting us back to the waterfront, Toronto desperately needs an alternative to cottage life.

Every weekend, beginning in early spring and ending with the snows of autumn, hundreds of thousands of Torontonians flee the city in an attempt to find nature. Think of it as voting with our cars. We seem to hate the city so much that we poison the countryside with automobile exhaust in a desperate attempt to escape it.

The convulsive habit of almost everyone leaving from, then returning to, the city every five days may soon stop. West 8 is bringing Canadian cottage life down to the waterfront -- or, at least, a reasonable facsimile of it. Why drive north when soon you will be able to walk south?

The winning team decided early on in their design discussions to, as team member John Hillier says, ''Create a simple and doable plan.'' He says that the foreign design partner from Rotterdam, West 8, reminded the Canadian team members about what they could no longer see: This is CANADA. The trees are green. The water is cold and clear. The sky is blue. This is our hinterland.

Oh, and there are maple trees -- lots of them.

While other proposals were trying to bring ultra-slick New York or Dubai urban design projects to Toronto, West 8 got the bright idea to imagine a waterfront that is Canadian in flavour but International in detail.

West 8 is working on one of the most internationally recognized waterfronts anywhere, in London. If you have recently walked along the Thames promenade, you probably know how breathtaking parts of it are. The skills they learned there are deployed here, for us.

The designers understood there is a Canadian vernacular that we just like -- it's the same stuff that draws us north every week. They combined cottage elements like timber-beamed, modestly scaled bridges together with pontoon docks. Their scheme also boasts wooden boardwalks. Newly planted trees are everywhere.

They also decided that the waterfront is not about cars. Sure, they left room for them but their scheme creates a logical alternative to automobiles. The north side of Queen's Quay is for cars. In the middle is the rapid transit system. It stays where it is. Next to it is a bicycle path. On the south side, once a road, is a grand, tree-lined promenade connecting the central harbour's formerly lost east and west ends. Simple? Yes, but brilliant too.

The other clever thing they did was to assemble a team with outsider's insights but also with some of Canada's most accomplished landscape architecture, architecture and engineering firms. These designers know the waterfront, and it shows in the believable details of the overall plan.

For example, architect Don Schmidt says they wanted to introduce village-like scale to places at the edge of the water. Remember how the monolithic apartment towers at the foot of Bay Street cut us off from the water. Now imagine the fine-grain, human scale of a Nova Scotia fishing village. Which is more appealing? They thought so. too.

The plan does not work without clean water. West 8 wants to convert the vacant Soy Mill at the west end of the harbour into a 21st-century water filtration plant. It will clean the waste-water entering the harbour. The plant works hand-in-hand with a series of biofilters found along the harbour. The waterfront will no longer be an open sewer.

Sewage that once escaped carelessly into the harbour is collected in a sewer beneath Queens Quay. It then makes its way to the filtration plant for treatment. A large, unashamedly symbolic maple-leaf shaped, floating biomass filter also collects particulates and cleans them before they reach the harbour.

After years of waiting, Torontonians must thank a government organization, yes, it's true, the Toronto Waterfront Revitalization Corporation, for finally making the promise of our waterfront a near reality.

robert@forumbureau.com

- Robert Ouellette publishes the daily blog www.readingtoronto.com. He is the president of Forum Bureau, a strategic consulting and Internet firm in Toronto.
© National Post 2006

AoD

"Remember how the monolithic apartment towers at the foot of Bay Street cut us off from the water. Now imagine the fine-grain, human scale of a Nova Scotia fishing village. Which is more appealing? They thought so. too."

If I wanted to experience the feeling of Nova Scotia, I'd venture there myself! This is Toronto and I don't want the feeling of a "Nova Scotia FISHING VILLAGE." There's a reason I chose to live in a metropolitan city and not a fishing village. We are interersted in moving into the 21st century, yes? Then what the hell......?!?!

I'd much rather prefer the apartment towers, thank you!

I hope that this ~is~ just a plan and doesn't actually lead to action because West 8 getting chosen is a huge disappointment!

My suggestion to those (including myself) who were in favour of Foster's 'sail's' to write them and suggest that they come in with the work that has already been done by w8 and bid to build the sails/water drops as part of individual projects on the foot of each major slip as MetroMan1000 suggested. I don't think that Foster's innovative and perfect design (IMFO)should go unnoticed.

The sails looked interesting, but personally I find West 8's creation of a small-scale urban village of shops, restaurants, etc. far more appealing than some giant waterdrop shaped structures that contain the same.

I'd much rather prefer the apartment towers, thank you!

though i would agree I wouldn't necessarily want to see nova scotia at our waterfront's edge, I will say that a wall of apartment towers would seem to me to be a wasted opportunity. even new york, the mother of all concrete jungles, has central park.

Mr. Geuze, who collaborated with local firms, said his proposal was inspired by his idealized understanding of Canadian cottage country.

"When I asked my father, who is Dutch, what he thought a Canadian lakefront was like, he answered 'timber decks and beautiful lake views and forest and trees above you," Mr. Geuze said. "If you're standing here now, in one of the biggest Canadian cities, the waterfront doesn't look Canadian at all."

I like the plan in general, but it's a little scary that this played such a prominent role in his design decisions.

The jury report calls the maple leaves "kitschy". I think that probably the more realistic parts of the plan will be done - like making neighbourhoods, turning the south side of Queens Quay into a pedestrian boulevarde, linking the waterfront with bridges.

I love that West 8 won, and that the jury encouraged that construction begin soon on the easy elements.

^ I have to agree: this plan is absolutely doable and the most realistic parts will be done or underway within the next few years.

However, Toronto is a major city and nowhere else in the world does a city have such a large amount of available waterfront property. We need to take hold of this tremendous opportunity to reignite interest in Toronto the world over. By building a "cottage country" in the city, we'll attract nobody but old folks looking for a quiet place to sit and feed the pigeons.
This is our chance to do something bold by creating a new face for Toronto, a new iconic element. Lord Norman Foster was on the right track.

I hope the TWRC takes this West8 as a guideline but brings in other competitions to build on each slip. Hopefully Foster is approached to rethink his water drop buildings so that they don't go so far into the water as to interfere with sailing navigation patterns.

I like the plan in general, but it's a little scary that this played such a prominent role in his design decisions.

I dont see why playing off of Canadian imagery is such a scary thing. Cities in Holland are unmistakingly Dutch. Why shouldn't Canadian cities look the part? Why dont more architects play off of our own culture and uniqueness and strive towards a distinct Canadian modern design flavour?

Im not defending the maple leaf islands which are a little too kitsch for my tastes. But I would rather have that than another generic international starchitect such as Foster or Gehry or the trendy person of the week planting another one of their creations onto the waterfront. I give credit to the Dutch firm for even attempting to come up with something distinctly Canadian in a field that is sadly void, by and large, of homegrown talent.

"Why shouldn't Canadian cities look the part?"

Because that normally means 'dated'.

I dont see why playing off of Canadian imagery is such a scary thing. Cities in Holland are unmistakingly Dutch. Why shouldn't Canadian cities look the part? Why dont more architects play off of our own culture and uniqueness and strive towards a distinct Canadian modern design flavour?

I don't think playing off Canadian imagrey is scary.

I guess after seeing his presentation and then reading that quote, his interpretation of what Canada is seems kind of shallow...and his insistence on what Canadians like kind of annoying.

Im not defending the maple leaf islands which are a little too kitsch for my tastes. But I would rather have that than another generic international starchitect such as Foster or Gehry or the trendy person of the week planting another one of their creations onto the waterfront. I give credit to the Dutch firm for even attempting to come up with something distinctly Canadian in a field that is sadly void, by and large, of homegrown talent.

I agree...that's one of the reasons West 8, IMO, had the best proposal.

I also give them credit for trying, but think they could've gone further with it.

I think the West 8 proposal is great and would like to see every aspect of it implemented minus the floating Chinatown and the location of the nautical centre on the north side of the street (kayaks and sailboats are located on the south side so it doesn't make sense). I really don't get how a Chinese theme at Spadina fits in with the whole thing. I really hope they do build the floating maple leaves because of its water cleaning qualities and for the fact it would be uniquely Canadian. I worry that this plan will unfortunately will not be implemented enough... for example rebuilding Queens Quay in such a way that there is two lanes of traffic and one lane of parking on the north side could mean a great expense to move the streetcar slightly south. Also, bridges over the quays will be fairly costly, especially if tall boats will still park in them. I think the bridges would have already been built if the money was there for bridges that can open and close as is required at the police marine unit, fire station, etc.

They've said the streetcar would be staying put, almost certainly for cost reasons.

Back