News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Re: Robert Fung Leaving TWRC/Central Waterfront Designs

I will provide a link in that new thread for this one for continunity.

AoD

Re: Waterfront winner chosen

Now lets just hope that this plan actually leads to some action and isn't just another plan. :)

Although I was rooting for Foster, this proposal has a lot of nice features, ie. the way they treat Queen's Quay and the little village-like areas they're planning.

This is a great choice. Foster had some nice elements, but overall the plan wasn't as strong as West 8's.

I like it as well. The only questionable item is the floating maple leaf islands. Will people use them? I didn't see any connections, so I assume you would need to own or rent a boat to get there.

Perhaps they're supposed to be a pad for launching fireworks shows instead of the barge at Ontario Place?

I predict they'll either be cut or the stems will connect to the shore or something.

^I agree. If the city were to go with the leaf islands I would like to see the largest one linked to the land. What an amazing place for a pre-work jog in the mornings with the mist coming off the lake.

On the other hand, one concern I have is the suggestion that the leafs would be "towed away for storage" during winter months. If we are going to have the leaves then I would much prefer them to be permanent fixtures.

My overall opinion is that unless the islands are going to be done whole-heartedly then I would be very happy not to see them at all.

Also, do we really need another 48 piers?! The last thing I want to see when I go down to the lakeshore are boats cluttered everywhere. I would have preferred to have only seen the major slips extended with minimal central mooring space.

They were the logical choice.

However, the iconic elements of this bid - the maple leaf and the Chinese floating board walks - will likely (and thankfully) not get built. This leaves the waterfront without anything distinctive from a broad scale.

Walking along the boardwalks, over the bridges and through the parks, one will notice the consistent use of Canadian woods. That only accounts for the human scale which is an important one of course. However, the "Postcard" scale will not show anything distinctive. This is where Foster's design worked well.

Looking down major North-South streets, Torontonians would be called to the water by the streams of water leading to the water's edge and by Foster's water drops.

West 8 is an excellent starting point. I hope they develop it to the point where there are distinguishable elements and leave space at the foot of each pier for individual international competitions to build icons at the edge of our water.

What gives me hope is that West8 allowed for this exactly. Elements of their bid (i.e. the spherical wooden theatre) were said to be part of a broader plan which would be designed individually.

Foster can still come in with the work that has already been done and bid to build his water drops as part of individual projects on the foot of each major slip.

I didn't realize how they plan to use the Canada Malting Plant as the filtration system for the central waterfront's water.

Goodbye Metronome (finally?). And a nightclub at the top?

A19.jpg

A20.jpg

What a great idea. I actually spent 3 summers working there in the 80's. Amazing place to watch the air show.

From the report...

"By contrast with the great power of these basic components, however, the jury felt that many other elements proposed by this design team were kitschy and unconvincing including the Maple Leaf Boardwalk Island...detracted from the strengths of their design submission."

"The jury felt that the resources for the implementation of the project must focus on the two key goals and not get sidetracked on other less convincing areas."

Thank God, voices of reason! ;)

For those of you worrying about the floating maple leaf only leaving access to those with their own water transportation, it looks as if this detailed picture shows stairs lowering into some sort of submarine entrance. Perhaps there will be an underwater tunnel linking the harbor to the maple leaf?

A22.jpg

If this indeed does become part of the final plan, I hope there is more to do on this island than just walk around a board walk. Some items in the central area of the leaf would be nice: a small park with benches, or freeze the central area in the winter to become a skating rink.

The West 8 design will be implemented in phases over several years. The first phase will be the
transformation of Queens Quay between Spadina and York Street including the completion of the Martin
Goodman Trail.

$20.1 million for the first phase of construction is included in the 10-year waterfront funding plan approved by
the three levels of government in the fall of 2005.

While construction on Queens Quay is not slated to start until later in the year, TWRC is looking into the
feasibility of closing the south side of Queens Quay to traffic for a period of time so that people can experience
the benefits of the of the new promenade and trail this summer. Details about timing and programming will be
announced later in June

Wow! This is actually imminent! Work on Queens Quay will make an enormous difference. Closing off the south side and paving it with interlocking stone, the Martin Goodman Trail and trees will definitely leave an impression while also quieting the voices who say they see nothing happening on our waterfront since "The Three Amigos" announcement 5 years ago.

Back