News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Re: Waterfront winner chosen

If you read the last paragraph on page 8 of the report it seems that the park at the base of the CN Tower and the link to the waterfront will probably never happen.

Personally, I think it ties into the waterfront revitalization and should be implemented.

I don't have a boat, but would like to spend time on a leaf. I think an underground foot tunnel is a great idea. It's like we're Dubai now!

Is it possible to plant trees that are this tall or are we going
to have to wait 50 years before we see this?

A06.jpg

If you read the last paragraph on page 8 of the report it seems that the park at the base of the CN Tower and the link to the waterfront will probably never happen.

Personally, I think it ties into the waterfront revitalization and should be implemented.

... no, it says that West 8's idea of the CN Tower/Roundhouse park and subsequent waterfront connection are out of the scope of this study (Queens Quay + Continuous Waterfront boardwalk + waterfront slips).

It goes further to say that they appreciate the idea and will study it as part of the ongoing waterfront revitalization.

West 8's introduction of a palette of building materials (wood and granite) will be carried on to other projects where West 8 is not (yet) involved. I feel it is likely that the CN Tower will be incorporated into a future phase since it has been shown the state of current affairs down there (currently: ugly).

Those trees are a big part of why I liked this submission. It won't take 50 years but it will take a while.

^^ I doubt they'll plant mature trees like that. Where would you get trees that old? Tree farms (for lack of a better term) are in the business to make money. They grow some trees for a couple of years and then sell them off. Nobody has 10 or 20 years to grow trees this size and still make money.

I'm sure that whichever trees they plant, will look great by Expo 2015 which I think will be viewed as our goal for waterfront revitalization "completion" should we be awarded the world fair by the BIE.

I don't want to deviate too much from topic, but that goes to show how important landing the expo bid will be for our waterfront. It will set a fixed goal and timeline whereas if we build it at our leisure, the waterfront project could take 20 to 30 years.

Here's to knocking down the Gardiner as viewed by West 8 by 2015.

If you read the jury's report, you can see that several bids were rejected upfront because they involve building on the inner harbor which disrupts current navigation patterns.

Foster's proposal was doomed from the beginning due to his long piers. West 8's floating leaf will likely not get built due to those same concerns.

I do hope we see some of the other proposals ideas make it into the final plan. The jury made hints at this by taking note of such elements as the green carpeting of the streetcar tracks with grass (which I like and could easily be implemented into West 8's plan).

I'm looking forward to the Northern Ontario inspired Quay with granite rocks and northern White Pine, a nice tranquil place to canoe, maybe some Muskoka chairs could be put there as well.

And MetroMan1000, I think it’s just a boat slip in that rendering, although I can see how you may have mistaken it as a staircase. The plans call for that leaf to be hauled off in the winter I think. (Though a tunnel would be cool.)

... no, it says that West 8's idea of the CN Tower/Roundhouse park and subsequent waterfront connection are out of the scope of this study (Queens Quay + Continuous Waterfront boardwalk + waterfront slips).

It goes further to say that they appreciate the idea and will study it as part of the ongoing waterfront revitalization.

Yes, but if you read between the lines it's basically saying it won't happen. They leave open the possibility, but I find it hard to believe it's something we'll see anytime soon, if ever.

Actually, if you have a little patience and time, you can dig up information that the TWRC has a Roundhouse Park in their plans. In fact, it's been there all along. From a Roundhouse Park to one that includes the land immediately around the CN Tower is a small step. From a resulting unified CN Tower Park to one that connects to the waterfront using a path and pedestrian bridge isn't in itself much of an effort either.

I think it will happen early on in the implementation of this plan, probably alongside it. Bremner Blvd. is seeing massive change as a result of CityPlace, Maple Leaf Square, and Union Station shifting from turning its back to the water. CN Tower Park is a logical upcoming step.

And a longer version of Hume's article:

West 8 waterfront winner
Jun. 2, 2006. 06:11 PM
CHRISTOPHER HUME
URBAN AFFAIRS COLUMNIST

Waterfront revitalization is starting to look like a shore thing.

The winner of a $20-million competition to redesign Toronto’s central waterfront was announced today; the blue-ribbon jury unanimously chose West 8, a Dutch-Canadian team headed by Rotterdam landscape architect Adriaan Geuze.

The wide-ranging and civically ambitious proposal would remake the waterfront at every level, big and small, micro and macro. The over-arching goal is to ensure “continuous public access†to the waterfront.

That includes lighting standards as well as the dismantling of the Gardiner Expressway. Though the latter goes well beyond the competition’s terms of reference, it indicates the scale of West 8’s approach.

“The competition was focused on the slipheads,†Geuze points out. “But we were convinced we couldn’t find a solution without having a larger concept in mind.â€

In his scheme, Queen’s Quay Blvd. becomes “the backbone of the waterfront.†It would be reduced from four lanes to two and the southern half turned into a pedestrian walkway separated from the road by the streetcar line, which stays where it is now. Geuze envisions that it could become Toronto’s version of the Ramblas, that celebrated pedestrian route that extends from the Mediterranean Sea to the heart of Barcelona.

“I think we have to start now,†he said today. “Our scheme is very do-able. Our strategies are deliverable.â€

He suggests that half of Queen’s Quay be turned over to pedestrians, skate-boarders and various activities for the summer. That way, Torontonians will be able to see for themselves what the waterfront could become.

Like many Europeans, Geuze came to Canada with ideas about this country and its close relationship with nature; that means lakes and trees. That’s why he was so surprised to find that Toronto “turns its back on the waterfront†and that the waterfront is all but treeless.

“I was shocked,†he admits. “I couldn’t believe my eyes. There are no trees on the waterfront. And this is Canada! Even the Music Garden doesn’t have enough tall trees.â€

The West 8 team wants to plant thousands of trees, to create a “green foot†for the city. It would be located south of Queen’s Quay, between it and the lake, where an 18-meter wooden boardwalk would run along the shore extending out into the water. The sides of each slip would be connected by a wooden bridge, to allow the promenade to run in a straight line along the water’s edge.

Further north, after the Gardiner has been torn down, Geuze imagines a Champs Elysees-style boulevard in its place. The CN Tower would be connected directly to the waterfront with another wide pedestrian avenue.

To celebrate Toronto’s main thoroughfare, a market building and a new ferry terminal would be built at the foot of Yonge St.

But this is a mere $20-million competition, which required entrants to concentrate on relatively small waterfront elements such as the slips situated between Bathurst and Parliament streets, lighting, paving, the streetcar lane, a promenade and the extending the Martin Goodman Trail.

These are critical aspects of waterfront renewal, but Geuze has cleverly positioned his scheme to raise the larger issues such as how the waterfront relates to the rest of the city and how to enhance that relationship.

Perhaps because he’s Dutch, where much of the land has been wrestled from the sea over centuries, Geuze isn’t scared to think big. That may be terrifying in Toronto the Timid, but as much as anything, that’s why this competition is so important to the future of the city.

West 8 is a call to arms as well as an answer to a proposal call; it demands we wake up to the vast potential of the waterfront and take action -- now.

Of course, the cynics still refuse to believe anything will happen, but time is passing them by. Even the politicians have grasped that something important is going on, that momentum is building, and they don’t want to be left behind. Indeed, the press conference was originally planned for last Wednesday but was postponed to Friday afternoon to allow Treasury Board president John Baird to catch a flight from Ottawa.

“My priority is to see more action,†an obviously enthusiastic Baird said today. “This is an important project not just for Toronto but for the country. A key to the next phase of the project is leadership.â€

Baird’s got that right. But, he insists, Toronto is a priority for the Stephen Harper government. He points to the fact that the finance minister, Jim Flaherty, comes from the GTA. Torontonians underestimate the importance of that appointment, he argues.

“We have a champion in John Baird,†said Ontario’s infrastructure minister, David Caplan, who has quietly done his bit to ensure the province is a waterfront ally. He has been instrumental in the West Donlands plan, a mixed-use community now underway that will provide housing for 10,000.

Mayor David Miller was also on hand for the announcement. A member of the Toronto Waterfront Revitalization Corp. since February, he got off to a bad start but now claims it is his “first personal priority.â€

“(West 8’s scheme) will start to change the waterfront,†he said. “The idea for Queen’s Quay is brilliant; it will force us to re-examine the Gardiner.â€

The need now is to keep the momentum building; though interest has never been higher, neither have expectations.

“I’m not afraid of that,†Geuze declares.

But then he hasn’t to deal with a political culture that historically has kept Toronto, let alone Canada, from realizing its potential. If he succeeds in nothing more than getting Queen’s Quay reduced to two lanes – just for the summer -- he will have achieved something the city has never managed to do.

Jury chair Brigitte Shim, one of Toronto’s most respected architects, lauded the clarity, practicality and bold simplicity of West 8’s scheme.

It’s a plan, she said, that can implemented sooner rather than later.

Now comes the hard part, but also the fun.

AoD

When I quickly saw the name "Baird", I thought George, not John...

Actually, if you have a little patience and time, you can dig up information that the TWRC has a Roundhouse Park in their plans. In fact, it's been there all along. From a Roundhouse Park to one that includes the land immediately around the CN Tower is a small step. From a resulting unified CN Tower Park to one that connects to the waterfront using a path and pedestrian bridge isn't in itself much of an effort either.

I think it will happen early on in the implementation of this plan, probably alongside it. Bremner Blvd. is seeing massive change as a result of CityPlace, Maple Leaf Square, and Union Station shifting from turning its back to the water. CN Tower Park is a logical upcoming step.

I hope you're right.

A CN Tower connection to the waterfront seems like common sense.

Back