News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Wasn't it also the Gooderham House or some generic bar name for a while in 2006? That joint just can't catch a break. I mean, really, who doesn't want to sit on Jarvis and watch cars go by at F1 speeds?

Yes that was the name. I was trying to remember. I only Tthere a few times. The archetectural details of the house make up for some of the noise from the cars racing by.

The Kremlin( a lesbian bar) but only for 6 months at most.

I caught a glimpse of Wayne's World 2 on TV late one night long ago. There is a scene in a fictional bar called Comrades.
It had a complete Soviet Russian theme inside, with sexy bartenders in skimpy Soviet uniforms.
I imagine this place was just like that. Don't ruin it for me.

Last edited:
Yes, it seems Mike Meyers knew a lot about Toronto gay bars when that movie came out. There is also a scene where they are chased thru a leather bar called the Toolbox. But the Comrades in the movie is referring to the former Komrads with a "K" which is now the location of Yonge St. Fitness. None of the staff back then wore skimpy Soviet uniforms, in fact nothing inside the place spoke to the theme of the Russian name. Think lot of glass/curving walls/neon/ pink and grey/cool metal dance floor.

Yes, it seems Mike Meyers knew a lot about Toronto gay bars when that movie came out. There is also a scene where they are chased thru a leather bar called the Toolbox. But the Comrades in the movie is referring to the former Komrads with a "K" which is now the location of Yonge St. Fitness. None of the staff back then wore skimpy Soviet uniforms, in fact nothing inside the place spoke to the theme of the Russian name. Think lot of glass/curving walls/neon/ pink and grey/cool metal dance floor.

As a club it went through several incarnations through the 70's & 80's - even a punk club late 70's, but yes, it was Komrads with a K, no Russian theme. It also had the best sound system in the city for the time along with a really good sized dance floor, it really heated up around midnight. I saw Divine perform there back in the day and met him afterward. Lots of good memories there.

Finally seeing some retail action east of Jarvis.

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO M2M 1K3

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 10 165445 BLD 01 BA Accepted Date: Jun 9, 2010

Project: Retail Store Interior Alterations

Description: Revision to add a mezzanine level. Permit for interior alterations to convert existing vacant space to retail / convenience store. Ground floor - Units 3 & 4. Rabba Fine Foods. CONVENIENCE ADDRESS IS 148 Wellesley St E.

Back to Search Results page

That's good news. This store in Verve was announced quite a while ago, I think even before the Red Rocket cafe.

Now if somebody would just rent that empty space in the Star of Downtown to the east, it wouldn't be so much of a dead zone.

Actually there's a sign in the window at the Star of Downtown announcing that a branch of the Yonge Street Mission is moving in. But that's probably not the kind of thing you were hoping for!

I spoke to some people working on the space where Aveda used to be. (The nice patio right beside Crews/Tango.) Apparently it is going to be a new bar called "Boutique Bar". They hope to open soon.

I spoke to some people working on the space where Aveda used to be. (The nice patio right beside Crews/Tango.) Apparently it is going to be a new bar called "Boutique Bar". They hope to open soon.
Excellent news! The most natural spot for a patio on Church Street will finally be a patio on Church Street!

Anyone been out for a walk on Church today?

Its cop central - I saw at least 4 packs of them on bikes; had to be 100 all told. Not stopping to make right turns on a red light, a couple riding on sidewalks.

Seriously can't wait for this nonsense to be over, and it hasn't even started yet.

Great news re the patio next to Crews!

Xyclo is preparing to reopen as a Japanese pub. Noticed as well that there is no longer a 'for lease' sign in the remaining Bigliardi's space.

"Straight" has thankfully removed that awful concrete from the beautiful arched window on their main level and replaced it back with glass, they were working on it today. A minor issue but it really irked me to see that fabulous feature window all blocked up with white concrete.

"Straight" has thankfully removed that awful concrete from the beautiful arched window on their main level and replaced it back with glass, they were working on it today. A minor issue but it really irked me to see that fabulous feature window all blocked up with white concrete.

I'm glad to hear this. It might be a minor issue but it always bugged me also to see this when I walked by.

Hey guys, Just thought I'd share a picture of my view of the Church/ Wellesley neighborhood. If you look really closely you can see the south tower of Palace Pier and a bit of the north tower between the condo on bay with the pink glass and the converted apt. building on Gloucester. Enjoy.

Attachments

• IMG_0851.jpg
    IMG_0851.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 197
I don't know how credible this is but a friend of mine told me that the empty space beside pizzaiolo will become an upscale gay bar, owned by the guy who owns George's Play. (who my friend is supposedly friends with)

Back