News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

I has to say that was probably one of the mostest funnest Prides ever. Perhaps they should shift it permanently to the holiday weekend in future.

I has to say that was probably one of the mostest funnest Prides ever. Perhaps they should shift it permanently to the holiday weekend in future.

Really? I found it to be more of the same. I've been going to Prides for like 10 years now. It's not that it's bad. Just so tired of the Parade. I like seeing friends downtown and such but that's all.

Maybe my opinion was colored by the fact I was at NYC's Pride the weekend before and found it lacking.

Or maybe it was just people here were ready to celebrate after the previous week's introspection and blah blah blah. Also I found it better attended than previous years (owing to the holiday weekend). Keep in mind I haven't been to a Toronto Pride in maybe 7 years.

As far as more of the same goes. I really don't think it's a changeable event. It'll always be what it is (especially now). But maybe they should allow open containers within the cordoned off areas (the beer garden thing and lining up for hours to get into a bar on a 100 degree day just aren't worth it nor working). And by God just extend the drinking hours year round to 4 already.

Last edited:
What I find to be really lacking is the near absence of decorations and colourful lighting along Church Street save for a few merchants who dress up their storefronts to some degree. I'd like to see it look a little more festive to make it feel like more of an event, like they used to.

It was a great feeling for sure, in part due to the events of the previous weekend. It felt like the police were glad for the break. But the numbers seemed down. On Sat. night at 11:30 the Wood St. beer garden and stage was 75% empty, partly I'm sure because Cyndi Lauper was in Queen's Park. When I got the chance to go to Queen's Park at 6pm on Sunday there were no more than 100 people. The performers on stage were doing their best to get them going and the food vendors were giving me that hopeful gaze you often feel in a food court after the lunch rush.
I know this venue is a test for World Pride but perhaps Allen Gardens would be better. It's closer and you won't have to try and cross a parade route to get to it. The now defunct Folsom Fair's were great at this location.

P.S. For the first time in 6 or 7 years I was able to walk right into the Black Eagle on Pride Day(at about midnight). No line-up outside and a 5 minute wait inside to get up to the patio. Perhaps the Americans stuck with their previously made plans for July 4th???

It was a great feeling for sure, in part due to the events of the previous weekend. It felt like the police were glad for the break. But the numbers seemed down. On Sat. night at 11:30 the Wood St. beer garden and stage was 75% empty, partly I'm sure because Cyndi Lauper was in Queen's Park. When I got the chance to go to Queen's Park at 6pm on Sunday there were no more than 100 people. The performers on stage were doing their best to get them going and the food vendors were giving me that hopeful gaze you often feel in a food court after the lunch rush.
I know this venue is a test for World Pride but perhaps Allen Gardens would be better. It's closer and you won't have to try and cross a parade route to get to it. The now defunct Folsom Fair's were great at this location.

P.S. For the first time in 6 or 7 years I was able to walk right into the Black Eagle on Pride Day(at about midnight). No line-up outside and a 5 minute wait inside to get up to the patio. Perhaps the Americans stuck with their previously made plans for July 4th???

I agree with your observation. It didn't take us long to get into Crews on the Saturday night. And I know people who went to the Barn and got in there pretty quickly as well.

Remember that there was a wide variety of mega parties happening outside of the Village. I grabbed a slice of pizza from Pizziola on Friday night and the lineup to get into Woody's around midnight was well past the entrance of Pizziola, probably about 100 people yet strangely the street wasn't that busy on Friday night at that time.

Yes, I did see that Woody''s always seemed to have a large line up. I'm sure that's not a holdover effect from tourists wanting to see where Queer as Folk was filmed. But your right about the parties. I forgot that not only were there the Prism parties but we tend to get competing parties lately like Epic. I may be wrong but I think that there were 3 beach type parties. The regular Sunnyside party moved to the parking lot across from Wellesly subway station, the Dundas Square Splash party and something at Hanlan's Point. This much choice won't survive if the people aren't there in numbers. The best(or best funded) will survive.

The Bakers Dozen donut shop at Sherbourne & Wellesley has closed along with the recently closed Beaver Gas Station at the same corner. The whole site is now up for sale by CBRE.

finally... that place (donut shop) was seedy and nasty at night, I've had to go in there to use restroom, dirtier than the washroom at Finch st, or even Kipling stn, only thing keeping it going were the cab drivers hanging out there for so long.
Sad to see the beaver close, but its for the better probally.

Back