News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

The position of the stage really impacts on the potential of the eastern side of the square. It clearly defines is as "the back" of the action, and not part of the action itself. Poorly thought-out, I'd say.

Under Dundas Square I bet. I'm sure they'll rent off a section of the parking garage. They don't have a massive fleet that requires its own garage.

that's what I was thinking.

btw: stalking Citytv reporters will now be very easy, worst case senerio they will be more visible then when working at the massive Queen St building.

The stage's main purpose is to hide the parking garage entrance which, IMO, couldn't be positioned any better both inside the lot and out on the street

Perhaps to make more room inside the building, they will envelope over the streetcar underpass between the main building and the column that makes up the lower (torch). That would provide more space on 2 floors, and would allow for more windows into the studio without having to replace the existing walls. Those existing walls will generate good revenue for CityTV via ad sales, and can also be used to advertise their own shows.
Lets hope that the top of the media tower gets a big CITYTV logo hovering over what is there right now. Some search lights would be good too.

Expansion could also take place in the parking lot to the south, should they need more studio/office space. Just build a connecting bridge over or behind the Senator restaurant.

I disagree. I think the stage was horribly executed. I would rather have seen Dundas Square Road lead down to the parking garage, leaving the square completely flat. Noone uses Dundas Square Road. Sure, it would somewhat cut off the HNR building from the square, but not completely. I think that the entrance could have happened close to Yonge. That may somewhat obscure the Hard Rock, but they have a Yonge presence, and would still have a bit of a presence on the square.

So now you have a ramp eliminating a road (and I am not sure this is a good idea), but where is a stage?

Stage:

I live next door and 4 months of the year the "elevated" stage is active... it's wonderful even when the performances aren't.... and short people even get to glimpse what's going on. Not to mention the rogue skateboarders who are willing to risk life, limb and a summons.

As cool as the Much Video awards are ... spilling all over Queen Street (and presumably a logistical nightmare)... I would have thought Much would salivate at the possibility of hosting in the square (maybe they will anyway given their sister will be setting up shop here).

I disagree. I think the stage was horribly executed. I would rather have seen Dundas Square Road lead down to the parking garage, leaving the square completely flat. Noone uses Dundas Square Road. Sure, it would somewhat cut off the HNR building from the square, but not completely. I think that the entrance could have happened close to Yonge. That may somewhat obscure the Hard Rock, but they have a Yonge presence, and would still have a bit of a presence on the square.

I have to disagree with that. Two heritage buildings front onto that road -- turning it into a parking garage ramp would not be appropriate. Not to mention that the ramp would be a much more visible feature of the square overall. And if there is a back-up at the entrance, which there sometimes is, the queue would extend onto Yonge (instead of Dundas Sq. Rd. and Victoria), which the City's Works department would never allow.

Now if only that stupid "stage" can be removed so that City will have a clearer vantage point onto the square. As it is now, they dont have a very good view of the action in the square. The stage gets in the way. I think that the stupid, white metal excuse of a moveable stage should be trashed.

You read my mind. It's a shame, there is no clear vantage point. That's why I've never actually seen Torch, because the stage blocks it from the square.

Back