News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Two possibilities. One, get a larger anchor. Two, "cement" the screw and anchor into the hole (wait till the cement cures before putting weight on it). Sometimes when an anchor or screw gets pulled out of its hole, I use toothpicks to fill up the hole as a makeshift anchor.

I would opt for the first option. However, make sure that you can get the corresponding screw to fit through the holes on the wall mount as they may be too large.
Not really sure that toothpicks would make a solid anchor, having never tried something like that. But if W.K.Lis has done it before and it worked, I guess that might be OK.
For the reasons previously discussed. I am not sure I want my new TV on the ground if it doesn't work. So #1 I believe is the solution.
other than drilling a bit the back of the wall plate if the new screws/anchor are too big or it might make sense to see about another mount.

Of course, you could get some dry wall putty, repair the wall, and drill 1" over with the right size bit (1 size smaller or whatever).

Go with new anchors and make sure you get the right screws/bolts to go with them. I lent my neighbour my hammer drill and they had the same issue. The anchors didn't even come close to fitting.

Thx for all your help guys. After stopping by Best Buy, Home Depot, I figured out that the mount maker gave the WRONG screw for the anchor (it's too big), so what happened was that even though I drilled the right diameter hole, since the screw was too large, it just torques the anchor because it cannot fit inside the anchor's hole. I ended up buying a smaller screw and mission accomplished. Wow, that was a workout.

Thx for all your help guys. After stopping by Best Buy, Home Depot, I figured out that the mount maker gave the WRONG screw for the anchor (it's too big), so what happened was that even though I drilled the right diameter hole, since the screw was too large, it just torques the anchor because it cannot fit inside the anchor's hole. I ended up buying a smaller screw and mission accomplished. Wow, that was a workout.

Congratulations.
Now you can help all the rest of us when we want to put TV's in the future. (LOL)
Seriously, well done.

I am curious, I've got such a wall for my condo, and I'm planning on drilling holes (not for a TV but for some relatively light-weight shelving) however I'm under the impression that a regular non-hammer drill will suffice. Is that not the case? Isn't the 13mm of drywall sufficient for a small screw in a small anchor?

(sorry, this isn't related to your TV issue at all, I'm just asking because it seems like you might have tried drilling your wall already)

Can I interrupt the pillow-fight for a wee little question... lol

I'd like to drill some holes into my wall, into the drywall portion only. I am hanging some relatively lightweight canvas prints (framed). I honestly don't want to bother with an impact hammer ($$) just for some canvas art...
Will a cheapo Canadian Tire drill along with some 0.5" drywall screws be ok?

Regrets as your posts were a bit OT we totally missed them. Just in case you didn't do the work yet, it really depends on the weight of what you're trying to hang. I assume your wall's similar to mine? In any event, if it's just a simple picture frame or other relatively lightweight item, I think just screwing into the drywall should be fine. Coincidentally, that's my next project and I bought some screws specifically for that purpose (they each can hold 30lbs).

I just bought a new Samsung 32" LED Slim TV and it weights about 18lb. I tried searching for slim mounting solutions as i want to hang it like a picture frame directly to drywall in my condo. I found this slim mount made by Samsung which supposedly allows you to mount directly to drywall, at least that's what i concluded from the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKsaaS1_d4E

Not sure if this mount is only good for the new Samsung LED TV's, but ive seen similar mounts not made by Samsung on ebay selling for about $20 which looks identical to the original. This could be a solution for condo owners and mounting diretly to drywall without having to worry about finding studs. I guess this is only good if your TV doesn't weigh a ton.

I just bought a new Samsung 32" LED Slim TV and it weights about 18lb. I tried searching for slim mounting solutions as i want to hang it like a picture frame directly to drywall in my condo. I found this slim mount made by Samsung which supposedly allows you to mount directly to drywall, at least that's what i concluded from the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKsaaS1_d4E

Not sure if this mount is only good for the new Samsung LED TV's, but ive seen similar mounts not made by Samsung on ebay selling for about $20 which looks identical to the original. This could be a solution for condo owners and mounting diretly to drywall without having to worry about finding studs. I guess this is only good if your TV doesn't weigh a ton.

You can get them from Monoprice for $11 http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10828&cs_id=1082802&p_id=6431&seq=1&format=2

Their HDMI cable are really cheap as well.

What about attaching a (small-midsize) TV to a large [round] concrete pillar? Is that allowed at all for structural reasons? I've seen small LCD's (<26") at a condo for sale but I have no idea if this is allowed or what kind of mount would be needed. There's a power outlet and cable jack in the pillar too so it's like they want you to put your TV there..

Any advice would be really appreciated!!

What about attaching a (small-midsize) TV to a large [round] concrete pillar? Is that allowed at all for structural reasons? I've seen small LCD's (<26") at a condo for sale but I have no idea if this is allowed or what kind of mount would be needed. There's a power outlet and cable jack in the pillar too so it's like they want you to put your TV there..

Any advice would be really appreciated!!

Spot Coffee at the bottom of one of the Cityplace buildings has a TV mounted to the concrete pillar. Looks pretty good and im guessing if Spot could do it, so could a home owner.

I don't know if it is allowed if the purpose is to watch the Raptors.

Joking aside, I have seen them attached on pillars as well in condos. Surely drilling into the concrete to place some screws would not weaken the structural integrity of the pillar. I suspect the builder may be able to provide this information or one of the decorators as they come up against this constantly.

Sorry not much help but I went for the laugh.

If one is concerned about the weight of a television to put on a wall, look into LED televisions. LED televisions are about one third the thickness of the same size LCD television. Correspondingly, the weight is about half. This could come into play when deciding how to mount your new HDTV.

See this link for more about LED televisions.

Sorry to bring back an old thread. I've recently purchased a unit in the Murano and would like to mount a 42 or 46 inch LED TV on the wall. I've gotten two contractors to take a look at it, one warned me about the possibility of the metal studs eventually bending from the weight of the TV, while the other said the metal studs would hold such a weight (about 40-50pounds?). I'm wondering for those who's mounted their TV on a dry wall with metal studs for a while, have you noticed any bending of the metal studs at all?

There should be no bending at all. 50lbs is not an excessive load for the steel stud to handle in either shear or bending. The types of fasteners you use would be more critical than the steel stud itself.

There should be no bending at all. 50lbs is not an excessive load for the steel stud to handle in either shear or bending. The types of fasteners you use would be more critical than the steel stud itself.
The non-load-bearing metal studs found in condos are not so strong. I know the metal studs in my mom's condo are quite flimsy. It's pretty easy to bend them.

Also, I would never hang a TV off of drywall directly. It can be done, but it's really iffy unless you KNOW you'll never move the TV.

Last edited:

Back