News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

But it's fun! It's an endlessly amusing diversion.

And it's just as irrelevant as every other thread on this forum.

The city does not have $500 million to spend, so, yes, we might as well try for $1.2 billion. If we're gonna sell our soul for this thing, we might as well do it for something that's in our best interest and that the people of Scarborough deserve.

What the people of Scarborough deserve is more than a singular feeder line that requires everyone from the four corners of the borough to gravitiate towards it despite adding several mins to their commute. One major north line and one major south line covers almost all the wards and all the major nodes in the area. It also fosters growth in other parts of the city that currently are trapped in a cycle of do-nothingness. 1.2 billion for boring tunnels? I'm sure it'd be cheaper to run BD on the surface in an existing TTC property with stations already built.

Why would houses need to be bought and demolished if the subway is tunnelled? There's not a snowball's chance in hell that an elevated subway will be allowed through Thomson Park. Anyway, the subway can't run through that ex-rail corridor - Kennedy's station's alignment makes it awkward and the corridor doesn't even go to STC.

So to prevent an eyesore incident you'd be willing to finance hundres of millions more to bury the line? The squirrels commend you. I'm the one who told you about the Lord Robert's curve and it's difficulty. If it went up underneath Midland the curve wouldn't be as tight. Come to think of it Midland-Eglinton, Midland-Lawrence, Midland-Ellesmere doesn't sound so bad.

No buildings, huh? Sure you don't want to rethink that one?

The entire stretch from Jane to Main minus YUS loop section for obvious reasons has as few buildings over it as possible. The property owners that haven't been bought out yet could easy well likely be in jeopardy to lose their lands without notice if the city/TTC desires so.

No, the biggest waste of money would be to spend over half a billion on dollars on something that could be at capacity on opening day and may itself require replacement another few decades down the road...no one wins in this scenario.

Yes as with streetcars there is no long-term shelf-life for surface transit vehicles. 20 years is the normal limit wheras subway cars can last upwards to 40. However it's foolish to approve a STC subway on just that basis. The goal unfortunately in Scarborough's case is short-term not long-term. The years of neglect means they can't afford to wait around any longer for subways. They have to act now with what they've got, sure it's not much but subways are prone to disaster too. They breakdown, they have maintenence issues, they're prone to blackouts and shortages, they're NOT PERFECT! At least with SRT people aren't delusional to this reality and hence everyone wins getting more for less.

There will never be a Morningside/Lawrence subway.

Killjoy! How depressing such a major place gets nothing while a handful of condo owners with a highway, commuter train line and LRT at their doorstep already will likely get a subway too. May Markville garner the same courtesy, West Hill's not Front Street's.

I TOLD YOU THAT. You're the one that thought both stations were useless earlier on in the thread...don't pretend to be an expert, you've probably never used either. Yet, both are expendable since the Sheppard subway will have a stop very close to Midland and the Ellesmere bus can stop at STC.

Um, knew for years dude. You also must've misconstrued what I meant to deduce I'd want both stops omitted rather than combined into a single station. Though I've never used Midland, I've been to Ellesmere a few times, a 2 min walk sure beats a 45 min ride all the way to Yonge subway on the 95. As for the Sheppard stations, Agincourt is nowhere near Ellesmere/Midland and Progress would at Progress/Brimley, a forever distance to walk from to get back to Midland.

It's not your stupid ideas that amuse us the most, it's the little phrases you invent...it's like I've been asleep for three hundred years and the language has evolved without me.

I can think of something else about you that's devolved :rollin !
'STC-bound Sheppard proposal'? If that's an invention then where do I sign up for my Nobel Prize!?!

The Vaughan extension is on your map, so either shut up about it or take it off. STC opened 12 years before the RT started running...oops, there goes your argument...it's deflating...bye bye! A Sheppard line east of Markham has effectively zero potential, while a Lawrence East subway has no potential.

Wow, I wonder out of 'effectively zero potential' and 'no potential' which fate you consider worse :eek . You still tie the basis of every argument I have to the map I posted eons ago? At the time STC was nothing much at all. Ever check out JC Guong's fantasy map on Transit Toronto? I've seen it here too. Really impresive. It had lines up on Sheppard, through Malvern, touching Morningside Heights, reaching the Zoo, even takes an extraordinary routing through the Twyn Rivers highlands before reaching, you guessed it Rouge Hill. His Eglinton line, another feet of genius went I might add, went to West Hill then followed Lawrence to Rouge Hill. That's right, two subway lines to Rouge Hill when I'm heckled for one that I never said was necessarily a subway nor that it would be built in the forseeable scope of lines I'd construct first so...oops, there goes your argument...it's deflating...bye bye!

In what universe does a ridership of less than 25,000 deserve a subway even though they're sitting on a future GO line that goes straight downtown? Oh yeah, the TTC's universe!

Summerhill isn't exactly what I'd call straight downtown. Furthermore is the ridership of Don Mills is 25,000 which according to you qualifies it for a subway and also according to you the full capacity of Malvern has yet to be reached (translation: uptapped potential riders adding in more) why can't you see its worth? Oh yeah, you're in your universe, the Twlight Zone 0] !

twilight_zone_index.jpg

Ooo...I didn't think I'd have to contend with advanced geopolitical theory.

You need to keep it handy for when clunkerhead logic obstructs the validity of your arguments, especially ones that involve isolating one-sixth of the city.

I know someone that wasted an afternoon making a terrible subway fantasy map.

Nope, I know a coward who hides behind insults to mask his own ineptitude rather than create a map of his own for me to shred to pieces. Only we've far surpassed one wasted afternoon by now though :\ !

I can do better than that. I know two people who have bickered back and forth for weeks if not months about something which is completely irrelevant.

Well as Scarb said, it's fun :D !

What the people of Scarborough deserve is more than a singular feeder line that requires everyone from the four corners of the borough to gravitiate towards it despite adding several mins to their commute.

Okay, that's the most blatantly false statement about Scarborough transit I've ever seen. No one west of Kennedy or south of Eglinton is even affected by the SRT replacement process. More than 90% of Scarberians do not live in Malvern. The Milliken area is more populous than Malvern but would see shorter commutes with a subway extension since they'd be losing one transfer. Same with Ellesmere/UTSC. Bus routes changes + subway = shorter commutes even for much of Malvern.

1.2 billion for boring tunnels? I'm sure it'd be cheaper to run BD on the surface in an existing TTC property with stations already built.

Fine, whatever, do that...as long as the RT is euthanized and the Danforth line hits STC, the details don't really matter that much.

So to prevent an eyesore incident you'd be willing to finance hundres of millions more to bury the line? The squirrels commend you. I'm the one who told you about the Lord Robert's curve and it's difficulty. If it went up underneath Midland the curve wouldn't be as tight. Come to think of it Midland-Eglinton, Midland-Lawrence, Midland-Ellesmere doesn't sound so bad.

It'd have to be buried. And, no, you did not tell me about the curve...I've known exactly where the subway can or cannot be extended for years, even before I started attending every public SRT replacement meeting. I've commented about this to the TTC in writing. I've suggested various Midland alignments in the past (and in writing to the TTC)...there's other threads about this you can check, I don't feel like rehashing it.

The entire stretch from Jane to Main minus YUS loop section for obvious reasons has as few buildings over it as possible.

The line was cut and covered. Anyway, I don't see the big deal about acquiring properties and razing them to cut and cover if it saves money...those houses around Midland aren't particularly valuable.

The goal unfortunately in Scarborough's case is short-term not long-term. The years of neglect means they can't afford to wait around any longer for subways.

The neglect is caused by a lack of subways...how does not building subways solve the problem? Subways are cheaper than streetcars in the long run.

As for the Sheppard stations, Agincourt is nowhere near Ellesmere/Midland and Progress would at Progress/Brimley, a forever distance to walk from to get back to Midland.

There'd be a stop at the CN/CP junction and another at Progress west of Brimley - a 5 minute walk away from the current Midland station. The 57's riders will be easily accommodated by these station or will continue down to Kennedy (since you're unfamiliar with the route, it's usually faster than the RT). FYI, no one walks to Midland station...its biggest neighbours are a cardboard recycling plant and a city works depot. Ellesmere is expendable since the Ellesmere bus can intercept the line at STC. If the two stops were consolidated with proper bus connections, it'd be used by 10,000-15,000 riders a day, but 99% of those riders can be handled elsewhere.

At the time STC was nothing much at all.

Except for the mall and the office buildings under construction and the civic centre and the bus terminal that directly led to adjacent neighbourhoods containing, you guessed it, Malvern, UTSC, Milliken, you know, several hundred thousand people. The only reason there weren't 30 residential towers up yet is because the subway wasn't extended.

Ever check out JC Guong's fantasy map on Transit Toronto?

Yep...it's just about as worthless as yours.

Furthermore is the ridership of Don Mills is 25,000 which according to you qualifies it for a subway and also according to you the full capacity of Malvern has yet to be reached (translation: uptapped potential riders adding in more) why can't you see its worth?

A Don Mills line would divert tens of thousands of riders from Yonge by intercepting routes like York Mills, Lawrence, and Finch, and it would support intensification in areas that can handle it. Check out the new official plan...random subdivisions won't be redeveloped any time soon. Malvern untapped riders could be tapped by an extended McNicoll bus that goes to Morningside Heights, which would get them to Finch station faster than the 133C currently gets them to STC.

especially ones that involve isolating one-sixth of the city.

What have I isolated? Malvern is about 2% of the city.

There are two reasons that the subway to STC is planned to continue under the rail corridor. The first reason is that it's the shortest route, and therefore requires the least tunneling. The second, equally important, is that it would allow the RT to continue operating until the subway's opening day.

That's an important factor that has been overlooked. Not only is the $500 million RT upgrade delivering an inferior service, but it's also going to necessitate closure of the RT for at least a year and replacement with buses.

BD was cut-and-covered before the invention of tunnel boring machines made tunneling much less expensive. The TTC claims (though I don't really believe them) that the difference in cost between cut-and-cover and bored tunnel is negligible.

The TTC has only ever considered tunnelling underneath the ex-rail corridor...I don't believe they've done a detailed cost analysis, certainly not for the range of potential alignments from the Stouffville corridor to Danforth Road. The ex-rail corridor, give or take, is the most direct way to STC, even though it'd be run under the actual ex-corridor for only like 1km. In the end, it doesn't really matter where it goes as long as it hits STC, but if one or two hundred million in construction costs can be saved by cut & covering rather than tunnelling under the ex-corridor, it becomes a big deal...the TTC owes it to us to at least study the thing in detail and then publicly reject the options. They won't, though, because they know the public, almost to a man, wants the subway...I think we're willing to pay a bit more for it, too.

No one west of Kennedy or south of Eglinton is even affected by the SRT replacement process.

Right, cause they're too busy scrambling for connectivity when the ever-obvious Eglinton Line could resolve their transit woes. Sinking all available funds into the most expensive option when cheaper ones exist and is largely just a feeder line that'll run for miles being of no use to people living alongside it when leftover funds could begin a modest Eglinton East line (VP-Guldwood) is the right way to go.

The Milliken area is more populous than Malvern but would see shorter commutes with a subway extension since they'd be losing one transfer. Same with Ellesmere/UTSC. Bus routes changes + subway = shorter commutes even for much of Malvern.

Except UTSC would have an on-campus subway taking students striaght to Yonge-Eglinton in 30 mins, even express buses can't accomplish that! Miliken's still a hard sell because like I keep saying veering north ruins connectivity for the east plus has several existing options and more if you'd take off the blinders to a Finch LRT and Sheppard/McCowan subway. Shorter commutes for Malvern= Sheppard East Stn. + one Malvern bus consolidating 131,2,3,4.

Fine, whatever, do that...as long as the RT is euthanized and the Danforth line hits STC, the details don't really matter that much.

The details do matter if were talking about 100,000,000s more in costs to tunnel the line through a brand new corridor and construct new stations and bus terminal.

It'd have to be buried.

Nope, only under the GO tracks.

Anyway, I don't see the big deal about acquiring properties and razing them to cut and cover if it saves money...those houses around Midland aren't particularly valuable.

Aw, he finally admits property acquisition would have to occur to run it diagonally when I knew all along you couldn't just tunnel out the foundations of people's homes.

The neglect is caused by a lack of subways...how does not building subways solve the problem? Subways are cheaper than streetcars in the long run.

Yup, the sTingy(T)C logic's at it again. However you can't rewrite history. York U was approved, STC wasn't. It's insipid to hold out for something that won't happen, when provisions can be made to improve something we already got with the chance of getting more mileage too.

There'd be a stop at the CN/CP junction and another at Progress west of Brimley

Yeah that's close to anything alright :rolleyes !

Diverting the 95 into STC adds 5 mins to one's commute for those wanting west or east of there. An on-street link at Markham Rd is better.

that directly led to adjacent neighbourhoods containing, you guessed it, Malvern, UTSC, Milliken, you know, several hundred thousand people.

So several hundred thousand existing residents deserve less than yet to be censused imaginary condo owners because they're not close enough to Yonge St? You just admitted it, not making the figure up.

Yep...it's just about as worthless as yours.

Sure cause any map that brings Toronto's transit system up to par with London, Moscow, Madrid, Tokyo, GNYCA or Chicago's transit systems should absolutley be ridiculed to death! Where's the municipal pride?

Malvern untapped riders could be tapped by an extended McNicoll bus that goes to Morningside Heights, which would get them to Finch station faster than the 133C currently gets them to STC.

:lol
You'd sentence Malvernites to over an hour on a bus to access the subway?

What have I isolated? Malvern is about 2% of the city.

Scarborough's one-third of the city. McCowan marks the geographic midian. Anywhere east of there (Malvern, Tallpines, Highland Creek, West Hill, Guildwood, Centennial, Port Union, Rouge Hill) would comprise one-sixth.

Sinking all available funds into the most expensive option when cheaper ones exist

I wouldn't call over half a billion dollars cheap, especially when the subway would be cheaper in the long run.

Except UTSC would have an on-campus subway taking students striaght to Yonge-Eglinton in 30 mins

Stop dragging your awful fantasy map into this thread.

Nope, only under the GO tracks.

You're not even talking about the same thing anymore. I said that any subway alignment that goes near the ex-rail corridor would have to be buried. Go ahead and believe this city will approve an elevated line that cuts through Thomson Park and goes over houses. An alignment that follows the SRT corridor may end up costing more - it would mean terminating the Danforth line at Warden for an indeterminate length of time to relocate Kennedy station and it would also overlap with improved service on the Stouffville line...possibly even prevent the addition of a second track for the GO line.

Yeah that's close to anything alright

1. Can't see that picture, and 2. It's right next to Midland station, which you think is too important to lose.

Diverting the 95 into STC adds 5 mins to one's commute for those wanting west or east of there.

Those wanting to go west can then take the Sheppard line...it'll be a lot faster than the 95, which often takes over an hour to get from the STC area to Yonge.

Aw, he finally admits property acquisition would have to occur to run it diagonally when I knew all along you couldn't just tunnel out the foundations of people's homes.

Sure you can tunnel under there, but if it's cheaper to buy a few dozen houses and cut and cover, what's the problem?

So several hundred thousand existing residents deserve less than yet to be censused imaginary condo owners because they're not close enough to Yonge St?

Stop saying "close enough to Yonge St" - it doesn't mean anything. Those several hundred thousand people would GET A SUBWAY. If you extended the RT up to Malvern, the majority of people in the area (Milliken, UTSC, etc.) would still get nothing and it would mean a continuation of the transfer at Kennedy for everyone.

Sure cause any map that brings Toronto's transit system up to par with London, Moscow, Madrid, Tokyo, GNYCA or Chicago's transit systems should absolutley be ridiculed to death!

Yes, maps as bad as yours and his should be ridiculed.

You'd sentence Malvernites to over an hour on a bus to access the subway?

You really think it takes that long? Proves how little you know about transit in Scarborough. I've said before that a bus from the Morningside Heights area could get to STC in <25 minutes by taking McNicoll and then Brimley, but buses could also go straight over to Yonge; not only would this route get people downtown faster than the current Morningside Heights-Neilson-Centenary-Ellesmere-RT-Danforth-Yonge route, they'd do it with only one transfer.

Scarborough's one-third of the city. McCowan marks the geographic midian. Anywhere east of there (Malvern, Tallpines, Highland Creek, West Hill, Guildwood, Centennial, Port Union, Rouge Hill) would comprise one-sixth.

I love how total numbers of routes and land area matter to you, while people and riders do not. This absurd rationale colours your thinking and makes just about everything you say wrong.

I wouldn't call over half a billion dollars cheap, especially when the subway would be cheaper in the long run.

Agreed. Could you tell me though how much realistically it'd cost to run it in the current alignment to STC? I honestly want to know, no insults.

Stop dragging your awful fantasy map into this thread.

It would be a fantasy to explain how a few posts ago you said a line would run to UTSC. Using Morningside-Kingston-Eglinton would be alot faster than using Ellesmere-SRT-BD alignment to get downtown.

Go ahead and believe this city will approve an elevated line that cuts through Thomson Park and goes over houses. -

Ideally I'd forget the Brimley-Lawwrence alignment since even you think hospitals generate less riders than a cul-de-sac of townhouses.

1. Can't see that picture, and 2. It's right next to Midland station, which you think is too important to lose.

It was of the junction itself in the middle of nowhere i.e. no on street link to any surrounding major corridor: neither Sheppard, the 401, Kennedy, Midland, Progress nor Ellesmere.

Stop saying "close enough to Yonge St" - it doesn't mean anything. Those several hundred thousand people would GET A SUBWAY. If you extended the RT up to Malvern, the majority of people in the area (Milliken, UTSC, etc.) would still get nothing and it would mean a continuation of the transfer at Kennedy for everyone.

You're comparing apples to oranges here. Albeit the subway reduces one interchange it still doesn't resolve the forever journeys people from Markham, Miliken, Malvern and Morningside eastwards take to reach STC. Bringing mass transit closer to some of these areas alleviates some of this distance. Who knows if the subway will be expended any further east nor north. Why not take the chance now to see how much more we can get? That's why I don't want the SRT corridor abandoned. Unless you want intelining at Kennedy you won't either.

Yes, maps as bad as yours and his should be ridiculed.

Okay if I did a reboot, total rehaul, what shouldn't have I put onto my map? I thought Pearson was done top notch. I think the only problem, based on all your criticisms, was that I ended some line is less dense areas and when explaining nowhere is static it only fuelled the fire.

You really think it takes that long? Proves how little you know about transit in Scarborough.

Anywhere east of Markham is an hour away. It really sucks when your legs start cramping up cause you've sat in the same squished up position for eons to the point when we pull into Yonge you can barely walk.

I love how total numbers of routes and land area matter to you, while people and riders do not. This absurd rationale colours your thinking and makes just about everything you say wrong.

Fine then, not a living soul lives in East Scarborough/West Pickering/Southeast Markham that deserves a rapid, all-day, economical, weatherproof, reliable, convenient, enviro-friendly transit link. I'm willing to compromise RH if Morningside gets a subway, then you can truly say no one's left behind!

Could you tell me though how much realistically it'd cost to run it in the current alignment to STC?

It's hard to say...there's costs to be saved since it needn't be tunneled, but it'd need to be trenched at points and the stations would need to be rebuilt, especially Kennedy. The RT might need to be closed down for a long time, though, along with the subway east of Warden.

It would be a fantasy to explain how a few posts ago you said a line would run to UTSC.

I never said anything should run to UTSC. A subway to STC would benefit UTSC; an RT extension to Malvern would not.

Ideally I'd forget the Brimley-Lawwrence alignment since even you think hospitals generate less riders than a cul-de-sac of townhouses.

The Brimley/Lawrence alignment is the fastest, most direct way to STC, therefore it gets the most people downtown the fastest. And yes, a few crescents of townhouses might generate more trips than a hospital.

It was of the junction itself in the middle of nowhere

What junction?

Albeit the subway reduces one interchange it still doesn't resolve the forever journeys people from Markham, Miliken, Malvern and Morningside eastwards take to reach STC.

Milliken and Markham aren't far away, and Malvern can be helped by some bus route changes. Anyway, GO improvements can help many of these people faster and cheaper.

Okay if I did a reboot, total rehaul, what shouldn't have I put onto my map?

Your Yonge/Spadina plan wasn't terrible, but everything else was.

Anywhere east of Markham is an hour away.

Nope.

Fine then, not a living soul lives in East Scarborough/West Pickering/Southeast Markham that deserves a rapid, all-day, economical, weatherproof, reliable, convenient, enviro-friendly transit link.

Most of these places do not and will never deserve subways when GO is right there. You don't care about them if you suggest they pay through the nose for idiotic subways to nowhere.

It's hard to say...there's costs to be saved since it needn't be tunneled, but it'd need to be trenched at points and the stations would need to be rebuilt, especially Kennedy. The RT might need to be closed down for a long time, though, along with the subway east of Warden.

Any expansion to an existing line would involve cancellation of service at the end-route for some time as evidenced with NYC infill in 1987. The RT goes out of operation in 8 years anyway and people have already come accustomed to the replacement buses. Kennedy should in fact be rebuilt with closer proximity to Kennedy-Eglinton, pedestrian usage as is suffers because of it.

I never said anything should run to UTSC. A subway to STC would benefit UTSC; an RT extension to Malvern would not.

STC subway= same lengthy 20 min bus ride; 2 mins shaved
off from not interchanging, slightly less
circuitous route.
SRT Markham= bus commute slashed in half, on-street service
no layovers.
I told you, nothing short of a subway to Morningside can handle east end traffic effectively.

What junction?

You don't recall saying the new Agincourt subway would be where the CN and GO tracks converge?

Anyway, GO improvements can help many of these people faster and cheaper.

When, Scarb bloody when :( !?!

Your Yonge/Spadina plan wasn't terrible, but everything else was.

Nope everything but bland-predictive-safe choice-YUS was highly cohesive, creative, risky, bold, daring, diligent and meticulous thought out 8o . It brought every Toronto citizen (not just your biased select few) within 10 mins of a subway stop and would have progressed the entire GTA in ways you could never comprehend. If our system was half the ingenuity my map is, London would eat it's heart out. As is even Montreal outbeats us.

Oh sure cause you actually rode the routes yourself and clocked from start to finish how long it took :rolleyes ! Routes 36, 85, 54 and 95 do come near to or exceed an hour depending on time of day. Lawrence East in fact takes an hour and 50 mins to reach Yonge-Eglinton, making a Rouge Hill subway a godsend!

You don't care about them if you suggest they pay through the nose for idiotic subways to nowhere.

On the contrary I care too much :D ! Every 416 citizen paying through their noses to finance RT lines in Vancouver and Alberta would be flabberghasted to learn all those tax deferrals could be spent ensuring they, not aliens, are benefiting from mass transit, getting their asses to work/school/home on time in speed and comfort!

off from not interchanging, slightly less
circuitous route.
no layovers.
I told you, nothing short of a subway to Morningside can handle east end traffic effectively.

How does the RT to Malvern benefit people from UTSC, compared to a Scarborough subway? Their bus would still run to Scarborough Town Centre.

<!--EZCODE QUOTE START--><blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Anyway, GO improvements can help many of these people faster and
<hr></blockquote><!--EZCODE QUOTE END-->

When, Scarb bloody when !?!
[/quote]

A hell of a lot sooner than border to border subway lines. It doesn't make sense to serve long-distance crosstown routes by subway. If GO had a frequent regional rail-style express service across town, it would be extremely popular and would save many people a great deal of time.

If our system was half the ingenuity my map is, London would eat it's heart out.

London would eat its heart out if we had a subway that ran every day. You see, that's something you can't tell from a map: their reliability is appalling.

Oh sure cause you actually rode the routes yourself and clocked from start to finish how long it took ! Routes 36, 85, 54 and 95 do come near to or exceed an hour depending on time of day. Lawrence East in fact takes an hour and 50 mins to reach Yonge-Eglinton, making a Rouge Hill subway a godsend!

Yes, he clearly has. Even I have, and I don't live in Scarborough. You're talking about riding the bus from Starspray to Yonge. Clearly nobody actually does that. They transfer to the RT and subway or they take GO.

On the contrary I care too much ! Every 416 citizen paying through their noses to finance RT lines in Vancouver and Alberta would be flabberghasted to learn all those tax deferrals could be spent ensuring they, not aliens, are benefiting from mass transit, getting their asses to work/school/home on time in speed and comfort!

This is one of my favourite things you've ever written. Socialwoe, take a trip out to B.C. You'll be surprised to learn that the people there are humans just like us here in Toronto. I can also tell you that "Toronto Taxpayers" aren't spending a dime for RT lines in Alberta.

I'm really quite honestly curious about your age, socialwoe. I really couldn't possibly hazard a guess.

Any expansion to an existing line would involve cancellation of service at the end-route for some time as evidenced with NYC infill in 1987.

Subway service continued during construction...if Kennedy station is moved, service might terminate at Warden for possibly 2 or 3 years. If the line is extended up McCowan via Danforth or straight up through Brimley & Lawrence, service may not need to be halted at all. Any other replacement option means a period of no service cannot be avoided.

The RT goes out of operation in 8 years anyway and people have already come accustomed to the replacement buses.

What replacement buses? The Nugget bus runs express to Kennedy during rush hour, but that's just to handle a bit of overflow. Do you mean that the SRT is so crappy that thousands of people every day are accustomed to avoiding it? Extending it just extends its sphere of influence...more people will avoid it.

Kennedy should in fact be rebuilt with closer proximity to Kennedy-Eglinton, pedestrian usage as is suffers because of it.

That makes no sense. There's just as many people who want to go east of the station...there's nothing at Kennedy & Eglinton.

off from not interchanging, slightly less circuitous route.
no layovers.

The SRT extension would benefit some people in Malvern, but no one in Milliken or towards UTSC/Ellesmere - and these other people outnumber Malvernites. A subway extension would benefit everyone.

GO trains, rocket bus routes, and a subway extension to STC can.

You don't recall saying the new Agincourt subway would be where the CN and GO tracks converge?

You quoted me mentioning Midland station...you really shouldn't make it any harder to understand what you're rambling about. Anyway, calling that junction "the middle of nowhere" is like taking a picture of the Dentonia golf course and calling Victoria Park station the middle of nowhere. That junction is Agincourt and there's tens of thousands of people living very close to it, and another 2000 residential have already been proposed...there's room for about 10,000 more.

When, Scarb bloody when

Whenever the cabbageheads at GO feel like doing it.

It brought every Toronto citizen (not just your biased select few) within 10 mins of a subway stop

My plan is biased towards the vast majority while your plan completely ignores neighbourhoods totalling hundreds of thousands of people.

Lawrence East in fact takes an hour and 50 mins to reach Yonge-Eglinton, making a Rouge Hill subway a godsend!

No one goes through to Yonge on the 54. Rouge Hill already has a GO station that sees some all day service. Why should a subway system be designed around the most peripheral areas home to a tiny fraction of the population?

I'm really quite honestly curious about your age, socialwoe. I really couldn't possibly hazard a guess.

bigbeR5i.jpg

How does the RT to Malvern benefit people from UTSC, compared to a Scarborough subway? Their bus would still run to Scarborough Town Centre.

Pay attention will you! A Malvern RT done my way would have a stop directly at Ellesmere-Markham, meaning shorter connection times. Do you even realize that the 38 terminates farthest from the station than any other route? Hence interchange for UTSC students is by default the longest!

A hell of a lot sooner than border to border subway lines. It doesn't make sense to serve long-distance crosstown routes by subway.

Anything requiring passengers to transfer from subway to commuter trains adds in an interchange hence loses points for reliability, convenience and speed. We're alot closer to border to border subways than you think. If not for STC which already has SRT and potentially Sheppard, BD could follow the path of Eglinton East to Morningside, UTSC or RH. It's only 15 kms to East Ave., add in three more to Sherway and BD links Durham to Peel for just under 3 billion dollars (333 million/2kms x 18kms).

You see, that's something you can't tell from a map: their reliability is appalling.

:eek: . I guess it really isn't so green on the other side after all.

Clearly nobody actually does that. They transfer to the RT and subway or they take GO.

Even just to the RT takes like 45 mins. I'll ask you Unimaginative since I know well Scarb's opininon on the matter, you don't think a subway to Morningside/West Hill/UTSC has any merit? Elaborate factoring in potential future oppurtunities for growth/development.

This is one of my favourite things you've ever written. Socialwoe, take a trip out to B.C. You'll be surprised to learn that the people there are humans just like us here in Toronto. I can also tell you that "Toronto Taxpayers" aren't spending a dime for RT lines in Alberta.

Glad I could amuse you though that wasn't the point :D ! I meant aliens as in strangers, unsubs, non-users of GTA-oriented traffic but I can see how you'd mistake that for the outer space variety! At some point Ontario taxes were (maybe still are) deferred to the so-called impoverished, disadvantaged provinces falling wayside while we enjoy having inadequate transit resources yet still come across as having it all. What an ironic world we live in eh?!

My age is irrevelant to these proceedings. Using my age as an excuse to discredit the validity of my arguments/point of views is discrimination of the lowest rung and in the real world would have you in violation of the Human Rights Code R.S.O. 1990, c. H.19, s. 2 (1); 1999, c. 6, s. 28 (2); 2001, c. 32, s. 27 (1); 2005, c. 5, s. 32 (2) 8o .

If the line is extended up McCowan via Danforth or straight up through Brimley & Lawrence, service may not need to be halted at all. Any other replacement option means a period of no service cannot be avoided.

Brimley/Lawrence diagonally would involve shutting down the station. If the SRT path was used and construction started from the McCowan end at most it'd take six months' non-service to redesign Kennedy. McCowan alignment sucks donkey balls cause it cuts out an Ellesmere stop.

there's nothing at Kennedy & Eglinton.

Office building, Ionview residences, commercial zone and room for more.

The SRT extension would benefit some people in Malvern, but no one in Milliken or towards UTSC/Ellesmere - and these other people outnumber Malvernites. A subway extension would benefit everyone.

Again getting mass transit a concession further east and a concession further north helps UTSC and Milliken, why can't you see that? STC subway is replacing exactly what we already have OMFG!

GO trains, rocket bus routes, and a subway extension to STC can.

Heading further north to access a rapid surface south isn't as practical as a direct feeder into the core. If not to UTSC, imagine how much quicker a subway to Morningside/Lawrence would be to students than the lengthy bus ride to STC. As is the case with 38-RH-Union and 116E is not much faster than bus+SRT to Kennedy.

That junction is Agincourt

Why couldn't the current GO stn./Sheppard/Midland be the site? I don't know where you expect the ridership for it to come from or how to make it more ped-friendly/accessible than the SRT when at least its stops are at major corridors, not a rail junction.

Whenever the cabbageheads at GO feel like doing it.

I'll take that to mean never, making us dare-to-dreamers be blissful in our ignorance :) .

My plan is biased towards the vast majority while your plan completely ignores neighbourhoods totalling hundreds of thousands of people.

Don Mills doesn't have 100,000s of people anywhere! Finch has the very unfortunate disposition of losing out on a subway to Sheppard but that doesn't mean the Hydro Corridor can't be utilized for LRT ROW. Also Sheppard, YRT and VIVA siphons off some of its potential usefulness i.e. ridership would only be slightly higher than Sheppard anyway. DRL was always a factor in my plans (the highlighted red line on my map, you didn't think that was there just for show eh?) just not as an underground subway. It's sheer ignorance to believe cutting off one-third of the city is beneficial while overkilling the centre with several underutilized subways (Spadina and soon to the list DRL to lalapalooza!).

Why should a subway system be designed around the most peripheral areas home to a tiny fraction of the population?

Fine if everything other subway imaginable was built and there was a surpass of $ leftover by the late 2080s would you not just complete the system in entirity? Heck, go to Starspray with it too for all I care !

Tom Hanks "Big"

Wow, for all the chastising I have to endure and mock-blaming my age for my thinking-outside-the-box style attitude and theories, surprising it's only the lot of you posting lewd images of hookers-gone-wild, dumb movie posters and cartoons making me seem like the most mature, moral, thoughtful, developed and wise one conversing amongst infantile simpletons :lol !

Pay attention will you! A Malvern RT done my way would have a stop directly at Ellesmere-Markham, meaning shorter connection times. Do you even realize that the 38 terminates farthest from the station than any other route? Hence interchange for UTSC students is by default the longest!

You can't have your RT extension zig-zagging across Scarborough. How will it turn north? Are you going to demolish all the buildings at that intersection? With that crazy routing, it won't even save much time for people from Malvern.

Oh, and I've taken the 38 dozens of times.

It's only 15 kms to East Ave., add in three more to Sherway and BD links Durham to Peel for just under 3 billion dollars (333 million/2kms x 18kms).

But you just don't explain why you would want to link Durham to Peel. Nobody would take a subway from Durham to Peel, especially when the whole area could be served much more cheaply with regional rail. Transfers from regional rail to subway do take time, but the total travel time is much lower if the trip isn't taken all by subway since the stops are much less frequent.

Even just to the RT takes like 45 mins. I'll ask you Unimaginative since I know well Scarb's opininon on the matter, you don't think a subway to Morningside/West Hill/UTSC has any merit? Elaborate factoring in potential future oppurtunities for growth/development.

If dozens of other routes throughout the city were already built, an extension east as far as about UTSC wouldn't be so bad. West Hill is clearly too far and better served by a regional rail service.

Glad I could amuse you though that wasn't the point ! I meant aliens as in strangers, unsubs, non-users of GTA-oriented traffic but I can see how you'd mistake that for the outer space variety! At some point Ontario taxes were (maybe still are) deferred to the so-called impoverished, disadvantaged provinces falling wayside while we enjoy having inadequate transit resources yet still come across as having it all. What an ironic world we live in eh?!

Alberta is certainly not an impoverished, disadvantaged province. Unsubs?

My age is irrevelant to these proceedings. Using my age as an excuse to discredit the validity of my arguments/point of views is discrimination of the lowest rung and in the real world would have you in violation of the Human Rights Code R.S.O. 1990, c. H.19, s. 2 (1); 1999, c. 6, s. 28 (2); 2001, c. 32, s. 27 (1); 2005, c. 5, s. 32 (2) .

I'm not trying to use your age to discredit your arguments! I'm just genuinely curious.

Brimley/Lawrence diagonally would involve shutting down the station. If the SRT path was used and construction started from the McCowan end at most it'd take six months' non-service to redesign Kennedy. McCowan alignment sucks donkey balls cause it cuts out an Ellesmere stop.

Shutting down what station? The TTC studied the subway option and determined that it wouldn't have any impact on existing RT operations.

Again getting mass transit a concession further east and a concession further north helps UTSC and Milliken, why can't you see that? STC subway is replacing exactly what we already have OMFG!

No, it doesn't benefit them at all. People aren't going to take a bus east from Milliken only to go west again, or north from UTSC, only to go south again. The subway is replacing something we have with something faster and much more reliable, eliminating an unnecessary and inconvenient interchange.

Why couldn't the current GO stn./Sheppard/Midland be the site? I don't know where you expect the ridership for it to come from or how to make it more ped-friendly/accessible than the SRT when at least its stops are at major corridors, not a rail junction.

The city has been discussing a massive redevelopment of the area around that rail junction. Dig through the forum. You'll probably find the report.

Don Mills doesn't have 100,000s of people anywhere!

Have you ever been there? Of course it does! Not to mention all the connecting bus routes from the east.

Fine if everything other subway imaginable was built and there was a surpass of $ leftover by the late 2080s would you not just complete the system in entirity? Heck, go to Starspray with it too for all I care !

That's just it: what does "complete the system" even mean? Why does the system necessarily have to run from one political boundary to another? What if there are lots and lots of people just on the other side of Steeles, but undeveloped parkland on the far east side of this city?

Brimley/Lawrence diagonally would involve shutting down the station.

No, Kennedy station would stay as is, open the entire time.

If the SRT path was used and construction started from the McCowan end at most it'd take six months' non-service to redesign Kennedy.

It took the TTC 6 months to punch the Pemberton bus exit through at Finch station.

McCowan alignment sucks donkey balls cause it cuts out an Ellesmere stop.

The Ellesmere stop doesn't matter! It's a red herring. It's the politicians' anti-subway scapegoat.

Office building, Ionview residences, commercial zone and room for more.

There's absolutely nothing there that isn't also at Midland.

How does a line east of Milliken help Milliken, or a line north of UTSC help UTSC? We have a useless toy train that needs to be put down. A subway removes the transfer, getting everyone in NE Scarborough downtown faster, and it has the capacity to handle growth...any RT "upgrade" option might still be at capacity on day 1, and it perpetuates the myth that Scarborough doesn't deserve better.

Heading further north to access a rapid surface south isn't as practical as a direct feeder into the core.

Further north? The Midtown GO line could stop right behind Malvern Town Centre. The worst complaints about Malvern transit come from Morningside Heights...the 42 (Cummer) could run into Morningside Heights and it would take them to Finch station faster than the 133C usually gets them to STC. Buses could also run on the 401 between Neilson/Morningside and McCowan to get to STC faster...that stretch of the 401 very rarely sees gridlock so those express portions would be reliable. And again, the subway extension would save everyone time.

imagine how much quicker a subway to Morningside/Lawrence would be to students than the lengthy bus ride to STC.

They could implement rocket service, or a STC to UTSC direct express that could get there as fast as a car.

There'd be another stop a bit to the west, at Allanford/Agincourt Mall/Kennedy...you make it sound like the station at the junction is the only one on the whole line. The area is ripe for redevelopment...easily 10,000 residential units could be built - 2000 have already been proposed, and there's jobs and existing residents around there. Anyway, I don't know why you're at all concerned about the connection between Agincourt GO station and the Sheppard line - that GO line only sees 4 train trips per day, and you wouldn't improve that frequency.

Don Mills doesn't have 100,000s of people anywhere!

I said totalling that amount - when you add all the people along Jane, Don Mills, etc., that would receive virtually no benefits from your silly subways, you're easily talking about more people than would be served by said silly bits.

Finch has the very unfortunate disposition of losing out on a subway to Sheppard

I'm not talking about Finch East, I'm talking about Finch West...the Sheppard subway should run along Finch west of York U - even the Network 2011 plan thought it should. Sheppard East was always and still is a better place to put a subway than Finch East. The Don Mills line and possible rapid somethings up Warden and McCowan take care of Finch East's 3 big nodes.

Fine if everything other subway imaginable was built and there was a surpass of $ leftover by the late 2080s would you not just complete the system in entirity?

As if your ridiculous plans would "complete" the subway system. Given unlimited money, you'd build a subway to Starspray before the Don Mills line. The dozens and dozens of people who use the Lawrence bus out there every day would thank you. Or, they'd get on a GO train and curse you for wasting billion$ on a subway to the 416 equivalent of Siberia.

Back