39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

JasonParis

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
I'm recently back from a quick jaunt to the "City by the Bay" and all in all I must say that it's easily one of the best American cities I've set foot in. It's not without it's problems (of course), but in general is very lively, urban, livable (save the real estate prices) and liberal.

Here goes...

Chinatown Gateway.
DSCN3987.jpg

Maiden Lane in the Union Square area.
DSCN3988.jpg

Union Square is the central shopping, hotel and theatre district. It also refers to the 2.6 acre park bordered by Geary, Powell, Post and Stockton Streets. The name Union Square is derived from once being a popular area for rallys and support for the Union Army during the Civil War.
DSCN3989.jpg

Union Square (cont.)
DSCN3991.jpg

DSCN3993.jpg

Real live kittens in the Macy's Christmas windows.
DSCN3993A.jpg

Powell & Hyde cable car line from Union Square.
DSCN3994.jpg

Looking west down Geary Street towards the Tenderloin District.
DSCN3994A.jpg

Levi's worldwide flagship store (with fake snow for the Black Friday crowds).
DSCN3994B.jpg

Levi's flagship (cont.)
DSCN3994C.jpg

Black Friday craziness at Macy's Union Square.
DSCN3995.jpg

DSCN3996.jpg

Neiman Marcus' Union Square store (a.k.a. "Needless Mark-Up").
DSCN3997.jpg

Macy's.
DSCN3998.jpg

The San Francisco Centre is a large downtown shopping complex.
DSCN4000.jpg

Bendy escalators in the San Francisco Center.
DSCN4002.jpg

Union Square by night.
DSCN4004.jpg

Saks Fifth Avenue's Union Square store.
DSCN4005.jpg

Union Square by night (cont.)
DSCN4006.jpg

Looking down Stockton Street towards Union Square.
DSCN4007.jpg

Chinatown by night.
DSCN4009.jpg

The Transamerica Pyramid from Chinatown.
DSCN4011.jpg

Chinatown (cont.)
DSCN4012.jpg

Jack Kerouac Alley is a small alley bridging the two sides of Columbus Avenue. The alley is behind the city's infamous City Lights Books, famous for being a meeting ground for the proponents of the beat generation.
DSCN4013.jpg

The landmark City Lights Bookstore.
DSCN4014.jpg

Broadway & Columbus sort of marks the start of San Fran's "Little Italy."
DSCN4015.jpg

Meat shop on Powell Street.
DSCN4017.jpg

California Street by night.
DSCN4020.jpg

Let's just say that I was in awe of its ugliness. Just west of Union Square is the J.W. Marriott hotel.
DSCN4030.jpg

Perhaps the steepest urban street I've ever climbed...Mason Street!
DSCN4031.jpg

Looking back south down Mason Street.
DSCN4032.jpg

Mason Street (cont.)
DSCN4033.jpg

Mason Street plateaus around Nob Hill and then it's all downhill to Fisherman's Wharf.
DSCN4034.jpg

The Transmamerica Pyramid from a Nob Hill alley.
DSCN4035.jpg

The San Francisco Cable Car Museum (try to ignore the SUV in front).
DSCN4036.jpg

These engines and wheels turn the cables that operate San Francisco's remaining three cable car lines.
DSCN4038.jpg

A vintage cable car in the Cable Car Museum.
DSCN4039.jpg

Riding a Powell-Mason cable car towards Fisherman's Wharf.
DSCN4040.jpg

Fisherman's Wharf is tacky, touristy and sort of like Wasaga Beach on steroids. It's worth a quick walk-through, but not much else.
DSCN4040A.jpg

Christmas at Fisherman's Wharf.
DSCN4042.jpg

DSCN4042A.jpg

Fisherman's Wharf (cont.)
DSCN4043.jpg

DSCN4044.jpg

Pier 39 and the Golden Gate Bridge.
DSCN4046.jpg

One of the few redeaming features of Fisherman's Wharf are the Pier 39 sea lions.
DSCN4047.jpg

These sea lions plopped themselves on Pier 39 after the 1989 earthquake and never left! They are now one of the Bay area's biggest tourist attractions.
DSCN4048.jpg

Pier 39 (cont.)
DSCN4049.jpg

DSCN4050.jpg

DSCN4051.jpg

The F-line runs historic streetcars along Market Street and The Embarcadero from The Castro to Fisherman's Wharf.
DSCN4053.jpg

This car originally plyed the streets of Milano, Italia.
DSCN4054.jpg

Since the gold rush, sour dough bread has been part of San Fran's culture. This is a large and famous bakery.
DSCN4055.jpg

Fisherman's Wharf (cont.)
DSCN4057.jpg

DSCN4057A.jpg

Part II is here.

Pretty embarrassing that they have a nicer Christmas display than we do in Toronto, when we're the "Great White North".

I love the kitties in the Macy's window, so cute.

How the hell do those bendy escalators work?

I don't think I could walk up and down those sidewalks up those hills. It would really freak me out. I'd be scared of tripping and falling all the way down.

Great pics, funny title too.
Bending escalators, never seen those before. They look awesome though.

Thanks for the photos.

Most of your daytime pictures are excellent, but it looks as though you struggled a bit on several of the night shots - understandable because of the low light.

Chinatown Gate on Grant, Mason Street photos, and that last shot of the Wharf, are my favourites in this group of photos.

SF during the Holiday Season...

DK416: Good SF pics! It brings back some memories of my late 2000 trip.
The steepest street in SF is paralleling just two blocks S of Lombard Street (the crookedest street in SF) which is Filbert Street-which has a 30.5 percent grade!
With the mediterreanean climate SF has freezing is a rarity-when it does happen ice can be extremely hazardous there with the hills!
I learned that SF is the most PC (as in Politically Correct) city in the USA as well as SF has the USA's highest per capita housing prices as well as a high living cost overall. Yes-SF is one of the USA's most liberal cities also.
LI MIKE

Most of your daytime pictures are excellent, but it looks as though you struggled a bit on several of the night shots - understandable because of the low light.
Yah, I'm getting better, but I'm still no photographer. Night shots seem to be a bit of an issue with my Nikkon Coolpix 7900. If you have any advice, please dispense!

Yah, I'm getting better, but I'm still no photographer. Night shots seem to be a bit of an issue with my Nikkon Coolpix 7900. If you have any advice, please dispense!
even a small tripod would work. i got one of these, and it does wonders. and i can carry it around in my pocket.

gorillapod_SLR.jpg

Gorillapod

Setting your camera down on a mailbox or anything stable helps a lot with night shots. Nice pics. SF is truly one of America's best cities.

Oh I do that already. I even use the automatic timer sometimes so as not to jiggle the camera upon pressing the button. I just figure there's probably some setting I could change to improve picture quality (but I haven't quite figured that out yet).

Are you still holding the camera while it's sitting on the mailbox? If so, that ain't gonna work. You can't be touching it while the photo's being taken... it has to just sit there. You can adjust the angle by putting something underneath the camera, like a matchbook or piece of paper... but you can't be touching it.

There's also the mini tripod option.

tripod_03.jpg

Pretty embarrassing that they have a nicer Christmas display than we do in Toronto, when we're the "Great White North".

I love the kitties in the Macy's window, so cute.

How the hell do those bendy escalators work?

I don't think I could walk up and down those sidewalks up those hills. It would really freak me out. I'd be scared of tripping and falling all the way down.

I hate to break it to you .... but I suspect that even Bangkok will have nicer Christmas decorations than Toronto will :eek: I already see the Christmas decorations going up, and hear "Jingle bells" and "White Christmas" in the music here :eek:

Well a streetscape of 19th and early 20thc buildings always seems to dress up better for Xmas. Nice pics.

SF is indeed one of the great cities in the USA. I only had 3 days there but was totally enchanted by the city. NYC, New Orleans, Boston & SF are 4 favorate cities south of the border.

Back