News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Not correct.

Some Food Basics stores are union, Unifor Local 414 represents 20 'Basics' stores across the province:

See this news release from their 2020 contract:

From the above:

View attachment 493217

That said, it's a different contract from the Metro workers.
Thank-you for correcting me.

Surprise twist! They voted down the deal. They are on strike effective immediately.

I figured that would happen.
Remember, sister store Basics is on a separate contract. They remain open if you desperately need anything form the irresistible or whatever other store brand they carry.
Here's what I think will happen: Various Metro stores (smaller ones) will become Basics, no doubt. (I could be wrong, but I see some logic in that)

Remember, sister store Basics is on a separate contract. They remain open if you desperately need anything form the irresistible or whatever other store brand they carry.
Here's what I think will happen: Various Metro stores (smaller ones) will become Basics, no doubt. (I could be wrong, but I see some logic in that)
I'm not stuck on store brands, so I booked it to FreshCo at Dundas and Parliament which opens at 7:00 a.m. to get all the essentials for the next few days. I found a 3 pound pack of chicken thighs with a best before date of today marked down 50%, so that's dinner tonight and lunch tomorrow.

The staff there didn't actually know about the Metro strike, but when I told them they immediately said they expected the shelves to be stripped bare by the end of this weekend from picking up the slack, though I've found they usually are stripped bare by Sunday night anyway, so it will be even worse now.

Here's what I think will happen: Various Metro stores (smaller ones) will become Basics, no doubt. (I could be wrong, but I see some logic in that

Immediate conversion?

IF that's what you're thinking, it's not possible. The teams who do store conversions plan them out well in advance, and it's simply not feasible to flip a format that quickly.

As for that being a medium term outcome, there are, last I checked 3-4 Metro-branded stores in Toronto being looked at for conversion.

The small downtown stores are not among them, they do gangbusters business per ft2, way more than Basics does.

There are some inner-suburban stores that might flip, but that won't be for a while.

Metro in particular needs to be careful about format flipping. Its Basics stores are the laggard in discount. (behind NF and Freshco)

Some store locations are also limited in flipping because they are leased, and the banner may be controlled in the lease agreement.

I'd be interested to know the details of the contract offer. I'm sure it's wholly inadequate, I feel confident in saying as much, but I do wonder how much Metro 'gave' off the top, and how much there is to be gained in a strike.

Immediate conversion?

IF that's what you're thinking, it's not possible. The teams who do store conversions plan them out well in advance, and it's simply not feasible to flip a format that quickly.

As for that being a medium term outcome, there are, last I checked 3-4 Metro-branded stores in Toronto being looked at for conversion.

The small downtown stores are not among them, they do gangbusters business per ft2, way more than Basics does.

There are some inner-suburban stores that might flip, but that won't be for a while.

Metro in particular needs to be careful about format flipping. Its Basics stores are the laggard in discount. (behind NF and Freshco)

Some store locations are also limited in flipping because they are leased, and the banner may be controlled in the lease agreement.

I'd be interested to know the details of the contract offer. I'm sure it's wholly inadequate, I feel confident in saying as much, but I do wonder how much Metro 'gave' off the top, and how much there is to be gained in a strike.
Long before understanding that the Metro @ Spadina & Bloor is going to close and move across the street (once the condo is built) I wondered if that location would flip. It's such a small store anyway.
Now I wonder what will open across the street when the time comes...more than enough time to decide moving forward what will be more beneficial. (profitable)
A Metro or a Basics.
Don't forget a Metro was promised @ Dupont @ Lansdowne, but at the last second, a Basics went in instead.
(They had advertising that clearly read "Metro coming soon")

Last edited:
The College Park Metro doesn't seem to be on the list of stores that are affected.

Mistake of the staff if they aren't union, that one does boffo numbers.

If it were 50% bigger it might be the best selling store in the country.

The one in the Annex too can't seem to keep its shelves stocked. It was always very annoying as a customer, but they must have been making a huge amount of money.

The one in the Annex too can't seem to keep its shelves stocked. It was always very annoying as a customer, but they must have been making a huge amount of money.

Everytime I go into that store they are stocking shelves.

It's well attended by U of T students in the area.

They are.........per ft2.........

But it's a tiny store, at barely 14,000ft2, I think it's the second smallest one they have.

Yonge and Lawrence is truly tiny, something like 11,000ft2

As noted above by another poster........and hinted at by me previously, this store (Annex) is planned to be relocated in the next few years, and enlarged and made more functional.

They are.........per ft2.........

But it's a tiny store, at barely 14,000ft2, I think it's the second smallest one they have.

Yonge and Lawrence is truly tiny, something like 11,000ft2
Yeah, it's really cramped, but if you live at Bloor and Spadina... what are your other options? Most people there don't have cars to drive to No Frills or Loblaws.

Yeah, it's really cramped, but if you live at Bloor and Spadina... what are your other options? Most people there don't have cars to drive to No Frills or Loblaws.

Soon?

Bestco at Mirvish Village.

For now, either schlep over to PAT, Fiesta Farms on Christie or Whole Foods on Avenue.

Back