News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Attachments

• markham condo.jpg
    markham condo.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 335
These posts should belong in the thread for this building instead, here:https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threa...e-m-16s-remington-group-bdp-quadrangle.27146/ but this is indeed a mess. From my photos on that thread taken the day before, it definitely looked like they were already behind the deadline by several weeks, and tried to rush to pick up pace. The southwest corner of the site for the ground floor/first two levels never had it's forms placed and concrete poured until the week the accident happened. The scaffolding and the supports on that corner looked unsafe and looked structurally unstable, and given the fast progress done there, I would not be surprised if this was what happened. The progress made from Undead's photos on May 1, and the accident on May 7, further supports my point on possible rushed construction, as construction sped up all of a sudden.

Apologies if this was posted in the wrong thread. I just did a quick "Forum search" and got this thread. Couldn't find the building specific thread.

Apologies if this was posted in the wrong thread. I just did a quick "Forum search" and got this thread. Couldn't find the building specific thread.
Not necessarily the wrong thread, and I am not an admin here, so I apologize as well if that came off a little harsh. But I would assume since the discussion is apart of the building itself, the discussion would be more appropriate there, and for this thread to be for more general updates and such. But thank you for your insights and comments anyways.

I reckon Downtown Markham will now be blighted with an abandoned, construction site for the next little while. No doubt all work will come to a halt as everyone deals with investigations, litigations, etc. Such a shame. After a couple years, the property will most likely be sold off to another developer.

I reckon Downtown Markham will now be blighted with an abandoned, construction site for the next little while. No doubt all work will come to a halt as everyone deals with investigations, litigations, etc. Such a shame.
I think Remington would not completely abandon this though. Remington is the sole builder of this part of Downtown Markham/Markham Centre, and would want to continue as fast as possible, even if it would be very expensive and destruction of that part might be inevitable.. I could see them build the east side of the site which is technically a separate project. (West side is Gallery House, East side is Gallery Towers, together is Gallery Square). So I could definitely see them do that. I don't see Remington starting a new project in Downtown Markham until this one is done. So after the investigation is over, I can see Remington doing all they can to finish this and salvage their reputation.

Ehh, maybe with the way Remington builds, but with other devs likely getting involved, I can see this area being fully built out in 20 years.
Remington owns half of that area, and will continue at their current crawl pace.

The area east of the Rail Corridor is more fractured in ownership and could develop faster, but half of it is Metrolinx parking and is up to them to release it for development.

Back