News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

I don't know if there is much of an RoI for the city on this. Paying $75-$100 psf (call it ~50k/unit) to convert commercial space to residential (that's taxed at 1/3rd the rate) doesn't seem fiscally prudent.

I would love to see more residential projects downtown but it's very tricky to square this circle.
Are we better off incentivizing new towers vs converting exiting office ones? In some ways, I’d rather a gravel lot become a tower with an empty one nextdoor vs an office tower gets converted and there’s still a gravel lot.

I feel the incentives should be for more residential units downtown in general and we can let the people creating them figure out whether conversion or new is better.

There are entities that need affordable office space (small businesses, not for profits), so it might be better to keep some of the older office towers around, rather than get rid of them.

Are we better off incentivizing new towers vs converting exiting office ones? In some ways, I’d rather a gravel lot become a tower with an empty one nextdoor vs an office tower gets converted and there’s still a gravel lot.
My take on this is that it would be a better idea. If we're able to create more of a critical mass of people living Downtown, then the tendency is that commercial spaces get better used, since there's more incentive for businesses to be located in a place closer to a high concentration of potential workforce.

We might not end up with big, flashy major company HQs, but more people will increase the demand for small accounting firms, law offices, medical services, among other businesses and services that can occupy the vacant office space, little by little.

My take on this is that it would be a better idea. If we're able to create more of a critical mass of people living Downtown, then the tendency is that commercial spaces get better used, since there's more incentive for businesses to be located in a place closer to a high concentration of potential workforce.

We might not end up with big, flashy major company HQs, but more people will increase the demand for small accounting firms, law offices, medical services, among other businesses and services that can occupy the vacant office space, little by little.
Good points and those smaller firms may take space in some of the older/smaller buildings which have much higher vacancy.

An insightful podcast on 'the future of work', featuring one of Downtown's more innovative tenants, Work Nicer.

Monday: city passes one of North America's most progressive and permissive upzoning policies

Tuesday: SE Valley Line LRT opening date announced for Nov. 4

Wednesday: Return of CFR and its significant financial injection into the city's economy (not to mention some added downtown vibrancy) announced.

Thursday: ?

Friday: ?

Saturday: ?

Sunday: Return of the Heritage Classic at Commonwealth Stadium

This is fun. What a week. What's on tap for today? Can we keep this going please?

Wednesday also - Boardwalk and Revillion buildings get heritage status.

Friday/Saturday - Heritage Classic Fan Experience at ICE Plaza
--

Friday, October 27 and Saturday, October 28

WestJet Fan Park
Located at the Edmonton Ice District Fan Park, this free festival offers fans of all ages, family-friendly interactive
games and attractions, live music, special appearances and a chance to take a picture with the greatest trophy
in sports... The Stanley Cup!
  • Friday, October 27 3:00 PM – 9:00 PM
  • Saturday, October 28 12:00 PM – 6:00 PM
Be sure to join the conversation on your favorite social media platforms by tagging your photos
#HeritageClassic #ExploreEdmonton
Check out this link for more information closer to the event weekend!

Is Von’s Steakhouse and Raw Bar (Jasper and 101) new?

As noted elsewhere in this forum, Von's was in Old Strathcona for many years until they relocated to downtown just recently.
If you were on Gateway Blvd at 81 St, you would have seen their sign.

1698352202127.png

WELCOME TO VONS STEAK HOUSE & RAW BAR​

EST.1988

open
Tuesday 11am-2pm/4-10pm
Wednesday 11am-2pm/4-10pm
Thursday 11am-2pm/4-10pm
Friday 11am-2pm/4-11pm
Saturday 4-12am
Sunday 4-10pm

VONS HAPPY HOUR IS HERE 🎉! Join us from 4-6:30pm daily* for 30% off all appetizers, sushi & oysters 🦪. Annnnnd to wet your whistle- $7 beers, $9 select wines & $11 cocktails 🍸 *prices also valid Saturday from 9pm-12am!
October 4, 2023

menu: https://www.vonssteakhouse.com/_files/ugd/537611_db71f90fc62d4495b0ed4224018c238e.pdf

Back