News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

I hope the Federal government finally gets the message and does extend the CEBA repayment deadline for another year, particularly for small businesses.

They are starting to recover, but were very hard hit by COVID and having to refinance at current high interest rates is just another difficult, for some impossible, hurdle.

I hope the Federal government finally gets the message and does extend the CEBA repayment deadline for another year, particularly for small businesses.

They are starting to recover, but were very hard hit by COVID and having to refinance at current high interest rates is just another difficult, for some impossible, hurdle.
Honestly, #$%# that. These business got interest free loans, of which they actually got $30,000 in free money that doesn't have to be paid back. All this with zero information provided to show need. They needed to have a payroll of 1 person or cross a threshold of recurring expenses. Most successful businesses paid back and got their free $30k. Lots of other businesses took the loans and used them for personal use. It's been 3 years. It's time to pay the money back! If they can't afford to pay back, these businesses are going under anyway, if not this year then next. Pandemic is over.

Actually that is wrong, no they did not get 30,000. First that is not the amount forgiven and second, the forgiveness is only received if paid back. So for the struggling businesses no forgiveness.

I sure hope you, your friends or any one in your family don't work for one of these businesses, actually a lot of people do work for small businesses. Because, of this as short sighted approach, well as the business owners a lot of people may be unemployed in a couple of months.

Honestly, #$%# that. These business got interest free loans, of which they actually got $30,000 in free money that doesn't have to be paid back. All this with zero information provided to show need. They needed to have a payroll of 1 person or cross a threshold of recurring expenses. Most successful businesses paid back and got their free $30k. Lots of other businesses took the loans and used them for personal use. It's been 3 years. It's time to pay the money back! If they can't afford to pay back, these businesses are going under anyway, if not this year then next. Pandemic is over.
While I admire your enthusiasm to pay the unpaid debt and lost tax revenue on behalf of these businesses when they fold, this take is short-sighted.

We are better off supporting an extension up until the end of 2024 that helps to bridge the gap until interest rates potentially come down (and I'm not saying they will by the end of 2024, but it's a start). This is in our collective economic interest. It keeps people employed and paying taxes, the businesses keep paying taxes, and it prevents our downtown from hollowing out even further and becoming more disordered.

This debt has to be paid either way - the businesses can do it and their customers pay it up through the business (direct user fee), or you and I can pay it even though we've never walked into these businesses. The former is better for all of us.

It's already been extended twice. If the $40k owing is the difference between surviving and closing then very few of those businesses will be able to repay it at the end of next year, there are no magic boom times coming in the next 12 months. At a certain point you have to repay what you agreed to. If you can't, it sucks but your business is almost certainly doomed anyway. I would be open to supporting automatic repayment plans of 1k a month or something similar instead of a lump sum deadline. But no blanket extensions anymore, we are just kicking the can down the road. I doubt the Canadian government gets any more money back if they extend than if they hold to the original deadline. The businesses that can pay it back already have, the ones that can't won't be able to.

So, if the business can not pay it back now, the government may just end up writing off the whole amount, with the business shutting down and more people being put out of work.

Recovery from COVID did not happen immediately for everyone so in a year, a number of these businesses may be in a better position and interest rates may be lower. Its not kicking the can down the road, a bit of patience is the really the wiser strategy in this case.

Downtown Winterval festival December 1 & 2 featuring Rare Americans, Jamie Fine and Rich Aucoin

399654275_724688359683882_3558546150197256419_n.jpg

Last edited:
Good to see.

Will there be anything in Churchill this year?

What does ICE have planned?

I would hope that the Leg relocates their big tree to the north?

Downtown Winterval festival December 1 & 2 featuring Rare Americans, Jamie Fine and Rich Aucoin

View attachment 520134

"
  • a children's Christmas party at Rocky Mountain Icehouse featuring Santa Claus;
  • free arcade games and food specials at Home & Away;
  • deVine Days at deVine Wines & Spirits;
  • a dog-friendly "Pawliday Party" at Fawkes Coffee Shop;
  • Caribbean Christmas celebrations at the Jamaican Association of Northern Alberta;
  • a free crafting workshop with Alberta Craft Council;
  • holiday window displays at shops and restaurants;
  • a pop-up indoor Christmas market featuring downtown businesses and locally made gifts and treats, operated by the Edmonton Downtown Farmers Market;
  • free horse-drawn sleigh rides;
  • an outdoor beer garden; and
  • an LED light-art piece by Epcor;"

"Other downtown events taking place throughout the month of December include:
  • holiday performances by elementary and junior high students at city hall from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. from Dec. 4 to 8;
  • outdoor opera at the Ice District Fan Park on Dec. 13 (weather permitting)
  • the City of Edmonton Bright Lights Skate Night from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. at City Hall Plaza on Dec. 16 with free skate rentals and a holiday tree light-up;
  • Christmas lights at the Alberta Legislature building from Dec. 8 to 23 with scheduled performances on Fridays at noon and Saturday evenings in the rotunda;
  • New Years Eve in Churchill Square with fireworks on Dec. 31; and
  • free public skating at City Hall Plaza and the Ice District every day in December; "

Keep in mind that there were to be illuminated tusks at that intersection and just north/south of it...

Back