News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

More offices silly for NYCC ... what else :)

It was more of a complaint regarding the DUCA building ti self fronting Yonge which seems like a wasted opportunity not the retirement homes behind.

Others have said that they didn't like the design of the Duca Building--I was wondering about those points.

A matter of personal taste?

Others have said that they didn't like the design of the Duca Building--I was wondering about those points.

A matter of personal taste?

Its a waste of space and poorly design. They could have built the office area as a midrise with a step up to the residental section.

Very cheaply built in the first place.

Not everything has to be retail at grade or tall office towers. Office space covers a large section as what it could be used for in the first place.

More offices silly for NYCC ... what else :)

It was more of a complaint regarding the DUCA building ti self fronting Yonge which seems like a wasted opportunity not the retirement homes behind.

DUCA office fronting onto Yonge is perfectly in line with the current zoning policies though. What else would u have prefered to see?

July 14
5939222180_a059180b6f_b.jpg

5938668205_7a5cdf221c_b.jpg

5938664327_5bdd3440d2_b.jpg

5938661845_c0f9396cac_b.jpg

5938663841_a419188905_b.jpg

Check some facts....

The office space is a bit of a waste but there's no demand here for office.

The site is developed to its maximum of 5x density
Read OPA 447 regarding podium setbacks.
Also, you think there is a logic behind the phasing?
Seems like uninformed comments, show the ignorance of the poster.
What is cheap construction?
Having a green roof, expensive arches, and detailing, I do not get it?

^^ keep in mind that the entire strip along the NYCC is currently underzoned. And most recent developments have all borken the limitations.

what's the Duca build cladded in? it looks like stucco. any takers?

I don't think cheap construction is an issue here either though. Rather, I simply don't like the design. It reminds me of a typical Markham area low density office building in parkinglot.

Poor observation

^^ keep in mind that the entire strip along the NYCC is currently underzoned. And most recent developments have all borken the limitations.

what's the Duca build cladded in? it looks like stucco. any takers?

I don't think cheap construction is an issue here either though. Rather, I simply don't like the design. It reminds me of a typical Markham area low density office building in parkinglot.

Poor observation, and poor architectural judgement!
Not knowing the difference between stucco and precast concrete.
Not even commenting on other uninformed statements.

Is "Dutchcan" the architect, or related somehow? (note the architect's name)

i don't know. But he seems overly defensive when it comes to this project. His last post in reply to my casual commentary does convey a certain degree of insecurity towards all this.

If we're talking about cheapness, precast is a poor substitute for natural stone. Yet I can't say the podium is cheap with details like the entrance canopy, broadly curved corner, curtainwall, unusual pillars, and the cornice along the side. It has this unsatisfying ambiguity between its sleek modern elements like the curtainwall and entrance canopy and its PoMo details like the beige precast cladding and the cornices. Plus, the podium doesn't seem very metropolitan in its relatively flat, two storey facade. A midrise podium with some terracing would have been better and I doubt the city's planners would be hostile to it.

The tower will be more of the same. You'll see lots of glass in the contemporary fashion, and then these big precast cornices. The cornices suggest some ambition in giving the tower a visual identity, but it will again be ambiguously "in between" the new International Style and PoMo. I imagine it won't satisfy many people, be they architecturally conservative or craving a contemporary aesthetic.

Aug 27
Mod's; The title should be change from office to Duca Canterbury Place Retirement & Office.

Windows are started to be install, but could get no good shots of them.
6088837831_0dfb428b4e_b.jpg

6088840107_99c6ca74a2_b.jpg

6089379456_dec7b88939_b.jpg

6088841543_192791dff3_b.jpg

6089381186_bd7aa0dce1_b.jpg

hm i guess the gap filling that's done by this building does its job. the complex definitely look better with the highrise than it did with just the Duca building

Cladding is almost finished:

duca1.jpg

A near-by service road (Beecroft Rd connection to Finch) is under way:

duca2r.jpg

Back