News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

At the Handyman Shop's replacement uses brick to at least attempt to tie it into the streetscape. It maintains the curve in the facade and has some decent details like the bay window. It's a handsome addition that will only be rejected by the "it must new modernist!" crowd to whom a grey wall with some randomly placed windows is deemed something that Victorian arterial infill should absolutely to aspire to be.

But a teardown is a teardown is a teardown, IOW it would also be rejected by the more vociferous streetscape-heritage-at-all-costs crowd. Sort of how the recent Beech-house teardown controversy would have been no different in its fundamentals had the proposed replacement been "traditionalist" in design...

duke1.jpg

duke2.jpg

Is there something else going up on the burned out section besides Dukes??

Looks like it from the last picture.

^ Yes, it's a funny looking site with Dukes at one end and another structure at the other end seperated by a huge mound of dirt and trash.

^ Yes, it's a funny looking site with Dukes at one end and another structure at the other end seperated by a huge mound of dirt and trash.

Aynone have any info on whats going up there? It looks like a single store front by the width of it.

I past there a few weeks ago and it was just the Dukes site that was under construction this other one is a surprise.

It's just recently started (within the past week I believe). No idea what it is but it looks like it's being built on the cheap.

I'm just glad to see 3 spaces filled in. The building we're discussing wasn't all that significant to begin with. Duke's was much more architecturally interesting and it looks like they're at least paying attention to that one. I hope to see the rest of the gap filled in as soon as possible.

I am real curious as to what the new building is?

Did anyone see them dig a foundation for this building or does it even have a basement?
I am only asking as I have not seen it in person.

I am real curious as to what the new building is?

Did anyone see them dig a foundation for this building or does it even have a basement?
I am only asking as I have not seen it in person.

Look at posting #36

He's referring to the building on the East. We already know that the West building is Duke's.

To answer your question Braddale, no basement was dug for this building.

^ I disagree. There is definitely a level below grade, and concrete was poured for the foundation and basement walls before the steel frame got started.

I cant see the remaining vacant piece staying like that for long, once the Portland condos are occupied.

I guess that exposed side of Dukes will be covered with graffiti and crap till the rest of the fire site gets built in.

Still it is nice to see activity there.

Back