News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

No, Winnipeg airport & Manitoba government is giving a subsidy to WestJet for some new US routes.

Calgary YYC, Vancouver YVR & Toronto YYZ are still WestJet’s 3 main hubs in Canada 🇨🇦 with the most WS flights ✈️.
The subsidy for the LA route never materialised as the route was a money making hit on its own. The same is expected for Atlanta. The rumoured Detroit route? I have no idea how well that one will do. I'd rather they do a Boston or NYC route for a NE connection, plus those cities are major tour draws in their own rights. I feel those routes would be more successful than Detroit.

As for becoming a hub, I should clarify it will be for WestJet crew members (pilots, flight attendants, etc.) so I would expect that yes it would follow suit that we get more direct flights as a result.

Last edited:
The subsidy for the LA route never materialised as the route was a money making hit on its own. The same is expected for Atlanta. The rumoured Detroit route? I have no idea how well that one will do. I'd rather they do a Boston or NYC route for a NE connection, plus those cities are major tour draws in their own rights. I feel those routes would be more successful than Detroit.

As for becoming a hub, I should clarify it will be for WestJet crew members (pilots, flight attendants, etc.) so I would expect that yes it would follow suit that we get more direct flights as a result.
They're likely doing Detroit because it's a hub of their preferred U.S. partner Delta. That's why WS decided to introduce non-stop service to Minneapolis from Edmonton: MSP is a big Delta hub.

They could presumably do YWG-JFK (or YEG-JFK) because Delta has another hub there. DL actually operates over a third of the flights at JFK and is the airport's number-one carrier.

I think Winnipeg’s Geography location being closer to the Canada 🇨🇦/US border , compared to Edmonton YEG has some alright advantages & even for US flights both directions✅.
Winnipeg's main advantage is that it has no domestic competition in its catchment area: the closest major airports are Regina and Thunder Bay, which serve communities far smaller than the Manitoba capital and have worse connections.

By contrast, Edmonton has a very big rival just down the road with an airport that has better service and has historically been much more successful at attracting both non-stop routes and new carriers.

Winnipeg's main advantage is that it has no domestic competition in its catchment area: the closest major airports are Regina and Thunder Bay, which serve communities far smaller than the Manitoba capital and have worse connections.

By contrast, Edmonton has a very big rival just down the road with an airport that has better service and has historically been much more successful at attracting both non-stop routes and new carriers.
I get the frustration here, because Winnipeg is a smaller airport than here with fewer passengers, but yes a very different geography is obviously a main factor.

First, Winnipeg is much closer to those US cities, like Chicago and Detroit and second there is no nearby airport to force people to connect.

I have for years been sick of tired of Edmonton passengers being forced to connect at a nearby airport and boost their passenger numbers.

Personally, I do everything I can to avoid it, but until all Edmontonians are more forceful on this issue or something else changes, this will be how it is. We will continue to suffer in the shadow of the always golden child city that can seemingly do no wrong.

They're likely doing Detroit because it's a hub of their preferred U.S. partner Delta. That's why WS decided to introduce non-stop service to Minneapolis from Edmonton: MSP is a big Delta hub.

They could presumably do YWG-JFK (or YEG-JFK) because Delta has another hub there. DL actually operates over a third of the flights at JFK and is the airport's number-one carrier.
Yeah, the Delta-Westjet connection has been the reasons for the most recent US WestJet routes. The YWG-JFK (Delta) would be the most preferable for a permanent connection to the NE US and beyond, however I keep hearing how there are no slots available for new cities at any of the NY airports. This is why I think Boston (Delta) would be a great alternative.

Time will tell I guess.

Last edited:
I was looking on SeatGuru and the seating layout on KLM's 772 is 34-40-242. I saw that the A332's of KLM have two different configurations. The A332 that comes into Edmonton, is it the 30-35-178 or the 18-36-214 configuration? Or does it vary depending on the day?

I've been on both from Edmonton, but the 18 seat version is more common.

But only week days - no flights on weekend. For leisure travellers that might prove inconvenient as you wont be able to cobble a 1week trip together leaving on or arriving Sat or Sun - which is for many people their time off work.
If we wholeheartedly support the flight and pack the planes, weekend flights will come with time.

I get the point about weekend departures, but we invariably depart and return on weekdays (e.g. Thursday-Thursday) because it's usually cheaper, sometimes substantially so. My boss' attitude is that having a key employee away from the business is going to hurt regardless of what days they're gone, but vacations are going to happen so might as well grin and bear it. It's also worth noting that employers' flexibility regarding holidays is a key factor in employee satisfaction and retention!

But only week days - no flights on weekend. For leisure travellers that might prove inconvenient as you wont be able to cobble a 1week trip together leaving on or arriving Sat or Sun - which is for many people their time off work.
Yes hopefully we go to 7X weekly then after that there is an earlier flight and a later flight.

Back