News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.1K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

Similar to UAs Denver set up.
Yes. In the good old days (before the pandemic and prior to United's pilot shortage that saw them pull much of their capacity out of Western Canada) there used to be many U.S. aircraft sleeping overnight at YEG, waiting to serve early-morning departures to their hubs.

What's really frustrating is that with WestJet's change in strategy last year under its new CEO, the airline cancelled its remaining orders for Dreamliners and instead stocked up on 737 Maxes. The 787 fleet was pulled out of Toronto and Vancouver and consolidated in Calgary.

I would have loved to have eventually seen at least one 787 based at YEG to serve an Edmonton-London route. (Even if WestJet's slots at Heathrow are really limited, which they are, I'd be happy with Edmonton-Gatwick). We need year-round service to London.

I get pulling out of Toronto and Vancouver, where WestJet's product was never going to stack up well against Air Canada, Air France, British Airways or Lufthansa. But cancelling the Dreamliner orders was a stupid move that leaves them unable to respond to future opportunities which aren't being exploited by anyone else, like Edmonton or Winnipeg to London.

Sure, we can lobby WestJet. But all we're likely to hear is that Calgary is their long-haul hub and that they lack the capacity to add European non-stops from anywhere else.

What's really frustrating is that with WestJet's change in strategy last year under its new CEO, the airline cancelled its remaining orders for Dreamliners and instead stocked up on 737 Maxes. The 787 fleet was pulled out of Toronto and Vancouver and consolidated in Calgary.

I would have loved to have eventually seen at least one 787 based at YEG to serve an Edmonton-London route. (Even if WestJet's slots at Heathrow are really limited, which they are, I'd be happy with Edmonton-Gatwick). We need year-round service to London.

I get pulling out of Toronto and Vancouver, where WestJet's product was never going to stack up well against Air Canada, Air France, British Airways or Lufthansa. But cancelling the Dreamliner orders was a stupid move that leaves them unable to respond to future opportunities which aren't being exploited by anyone else, like Edmonton or Winnipeg to London.

Sure, we can lobby WestJet. But all we're likely to hear is that Calgary is their long-haul hub and that they lack the capacity to add European non-stops from anywhere else.

I think this also had to do with the deal they did with the GoA, where everything had to run through Calgary.

That would be a real slap in the face to Edmonto
I meant focusing the transatlantic flights to Calgary from Toronto and Vancouver. We never had any Westjet transatlantic flights to halt.
We did have a WS flight to LGW. I had flown the route a couple of times while it existed. Then WS cancelled the route. Today WS offer 2 daily flights from YYC to LHR and 1 daily flight from YYC to LGW and AC have a daily YYC to LHR. WS could easily provide YEG one of its 3 flights.

We did have a WS flight to LGW. I had flown the route a couple of times while it existed. Then WS cancelled the route. Today WS offer 2 daily flights from YYC to LHR and 1 daily flight from YYC to LGW and AC have a daily YYC to LHR. WS could easily provide YEG one of its 3 flights.
Exactly. YYC already has non-stop Heathrow service on Air Canada, which WestJet goes up against. I still think AC comes out ahead on that score given the breadth of AC's international connections and partners as well as the excellent Star Alliance terminal at LHR, which offers superb global connectivity. My larger point about WestJet is that at airports and on routes where there are more compelling alternatives (like a major North American or European alliance carrier) WS will come up short. So it needs to avoid going head-to-head on such routes and instead seize opportunities that other airlines have passed up. Non-stop service to London from Edmonton and from Winnipeg (which could draw from a large regional catchment area) would be two such opportunities.

If I have to fly to London by connecting through another Canadian city, I'll probably pick Air Canada because of Aeroplan, its Star Alliance links and its Maple Leaf Lounges. WestJet can't compete with any of that. But if WestJet offers me a non-stop to London right from my home airport, that would tip the scales in WS' favour.

Gates 76 and 78 are now open for domestic departures. They have put a temporary divider in the US departures lounge

Exactly. YYC already has non-stop Heathrow service on Air Canada, which WestJet goes up against. I still think AC comes out ahead on that score given the breadth of AC's international connections and partners as well as the excellent Star Alliance terminal at LHR, which offers superb global connectivity. My larger point about WestJet is that at airports and on routes where there are more compelling alternatives (like a major North American or European alliance carrier) WS will come up short. So it needs to avoid going head-to-head on such routes and instead seize opportunities that other airlines have passed up. Non-stop service to London from Edmonton and from Winnipeg (which could draw from a large regional catchment area) would be two such opportunities.

If I have to fly to London by connecting through another Canadian city, I'll probably pick Air Canada because of Aeroplan, its Star Alliance links and its Maple Leaf Lounges. WestJet can't compete with any of that. But if WestJet offers me a non-stop to London right from my home airport, that would tip the scales in WS' favour.
If I was flying to London and had to connect in another city, I would prefer an eastern Canadian one instead of Calgary, which would probably also mean using Air Canada instead. It would feel psychologically like being a good way there at the connection point, as opposed to a brief flight and a stop which would feel like a real grind.

It is even worse as flying to Calgary from here actually gets you no closer to London geographically, in fact the opposite. I know airlines do like to abuse their customers sometimes, but hopefully sooner or later someone will figure out that is really not the best business model.

Gates 76 and 78 are now open for domestic departures. They have put a temporary divider in the US departures lounge
Curious if this is just due to construction at the other end of the terminal or a more semi permanent change.

Back