News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

That's great news and to be honest I really like flying on the E195 so long as you don't have giant winter jackets and over zealous packers around you.

I mean:

Porter’s onboard experience offers every passenger an elevated economy experience that includes no middle seats, complimentary beer and wine served in real glassware, a selection of premium snacks, free, fast WiFi for every passenger, and the option for fresh and healthy meals.

Last edited:
Pleased to see this. YEG could become Porter's western base.
I am also pleased to see the first of three dailies. I don't think getting a flight before YYC means anything at all other than WS has reduced flights on the route and Porter think there is an opportunity to fill the gap But as to an only one Western base I can see that Vancouver filling that spot. Presently Porter show online 4 bases - and none in Western Canada. No doubt Porter will add all 3 big cities as a base for 3-4 of the 100 plus E195's Porter have committed and or have options for.

Maybe Porter becomes that airline to give YEG a chance as a connection hub way down the road. Westjet and AC are both hubbed at the other 2 most viable western cities. Maybe it's time we become someone's Salt Lake City (Delta), Phoenix (American), or Denver (United). Is being 1st place in YEG better than 3rd in YVR or YYC? I would think so but here I go putting the cart way ahead of the horse. Porter has a lot of work ahead before we start even entertaining a western base discussion.

Maybe Porter becomes that airline to give YEG a chance as a connection hub way down the road. Westjet and AC are both hubbed at the other 2 most viable western cities. Maybe it's time we become someone's Salt Lake City (Delta), Phoenix (American), or Denver (United). Is being 1st place in YEG better than 3rd in YVR or YYC? I would think so but here I go putting the cart way ahead of the horse. Porter has a lot of work ahead before we start even entertaining a western base discussion.
AC is reducing service to/from Calgary from a great many places. Calgary is no HUB for AC anymore - its public relations window dressing. Take a look at the reductions here: https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/221213-acns23ca

Air Canada in the last few weeks filed frequency changes to its domestic operation for Northern summer 2023 season, between 01MAY23 and 27OCT23. Planned operational frequency changes, based on schedule comparison 13NOV22 vs 11DEC22 as follows. Selected routes noted with frequency reductions, are due to schedules in first half of November 2022 were mainly default schedule.
Calgary – Fort McMurray Reduce from 28 to 13 weekly
Calgary – Grande Prairie Reduce from 21 to 6 weekly
Calgary – Ottawa Reduce from 3 to 2 daily
Calgary – Quebec City Seasonal service begins on 19JUN23 instead of 01MAY23, reduce from 4 to 3 weekly
Montreal – Calgary Reduce from 5 to 3 daily
Vancouver – Calgary Reduce from 13 to 10 daily
Calgary – Terrace Service resumes after hiatus in 2021/2022. Reduce from 7 weekly in NS20 to 2 weekly in NS23

The following is comparison based on US calendar week 29 in 2022 (17JUL22 – 23JUL22, noted as CW29) and 2023 (16JUL23 – 22JUL23). Selected routes with frequencies returning or exceeding US CW29 in 2019 (14JUL19 – 20JUL19) also highlighted. Specified capacity being offered is based on one-way direction.
Calgary – Grande Prairie from 12 to 6 weekly
Calgary – Halifax Reduce from 11 to 7 weekly, returning to 2019/2020 level
Calgary – Kelowna Reduce from 21 to 7 weekly
Calgary – Quebec City Reduce from 4 to 3 weekly

Following cancelled routes are based on comparison to Northern summer 2019 season listing:
Calgary – Castlegar
Calgary – Fort St. John
Calgary – Kamloops
Calgary – Lethbridge
Calgary – Medicine Hat
Calgary – Nanaimo
Calgary – Regina
Calgary – Saskatoon
Calgary – Victoria
Calgary – Yellowknife

AC is reducing service to/from Calgary from a great many places. Calgary is no HUB for AC anymore - its public relations window dressing. Take a look at the reductions here: https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/221213-acns23ca

Air Canada in the last few weeks filed frequency changes to its domestic operation for Northern summer 2023 season, between 01MAY23 and 27OCT23. Planned operational frequency changes, based on schedule comparison 13NOV22 vs 11DEC22 as follows. Selected routes noted with frequency reductions, are due to schedules in first half of November 2022 were mainly default schedule.
Calgary – Fort McMurray Reduce from 28 to 13 weekly
Calgary – Grande Prairie Reduce from 21 to 6 weekly
Calgary – Ottawa Reduce from 3 to 2 daily
Calgary – Quebec City Seasonal service begins on 19JUN23 instead of 01MAY23, reduce from 4 to 3 weekly
Montreal – Calgary Reduce from 5 to 3 daily
Vancouver – Calgary Reduce from 13 to 10 daily
Calgary – Terrace Service resumes after hiatus in 2021/2022. Reduce from 7 weekly in NS20 to 2 weekly in NS23

The following is comparison based on US calendar week 29 in 2022 (17JUL22 – 23JUL22, noted as CW29) and 2023 (16JUL23 – 22JUL23). Selected routes with frequencies returning or exceeding US CW29 in 2019 (14JUL19 – 20JUL19) also highlighted. Specified capacity being offered is based on one-way direction.
Calgary – Grande Prairie from 12 to 6 weekly
Calgary – Halifax Reduce from 11 to 7 weekly, returning to 2019/2020 level
Calgary – Kelowna Reduce from 21 to 7 weekly
Calgary – Quebec City Reduce from 4 to 3 weekly

Following cancelled routes are based on comparison to Northern summer 2019 season listing:
Calgary – Castlegar
Calgary – Fort St. John
Calgary – Kamloops
Calgary – Lethbridge
Calgary – Medicine Hat
Calgary – Nanaimo
Calgary – Regina
Calgary – Saskatoon
Calgary – Victoria
Calgary – Yellowknife
Having looked at that Aeroroutes article and seeing all the changes across the Canadian AC schedule, I have no idea what in the world AC is doing anymore. That being said, these Calgary cuts are no doubt going to dent some egos down in the center of Alberta. And I don't feel the slightest bit bad for them.

Agreed it is looking more so like a focus city than a hub at this point. My point still stands though with Westjet building up a fortress hub and AC still likely to maintain and defend much more service at YYC than Edmonton even with reductions.

Agreed it is looking more so like a focus city than a hub at this point. My point still stands though with Westjet building up a fortress hub and AC still likely to maintain and defend much more service at YYC than Edmonton even with reductions.

Funny though, how Edmonton maintains San Francisco service on Air Canada while it is cut from Calgary. I believe Edmonton also has more capacity to Montreal on Air Canada than Calgary.

I suspect Air Canada is seeing stronger yields out of Edmonton than Calgary. While we all want to see new routes being added, they can depress yields as Calgary is learning the hard way.

As long as the LNG site in BC is going there should be a lot of traffic transiting YEG. Quite a few people are coming out from the east coast to YEG and getting on one of the charter flights to Terrace. As well as the numbers heading north to Ft Mac and the Northern Mines in NWT and Nunavut. Terminal 2.3 and 4 are quite busy.

Who recalls that short-lived Asia-YEG-US flight rumour from about 5yrs ago now? Does anyone know if there were any legs to that one? A friend of mine who is a pilot (now wide-body/long haul) stopped by for coffee today en route to skiville and said that he had heard that it was going to be HK-YEG-JFK.

I recall that being one of the rumoured or perhaps more aptly described as a 'hope and a prayer' routes us forum folks were drooling over, but cannot remember for the life of me if this was actually something being considered or how far it got.

Was this pure speculation and fantastical desire or legitimately a possibility?

Assuming cargo played an important role on that if it was going to happen?

777 or A340-?

Anyone?

Booked my first flight on Porter yesterday (for March)... seems like good rates, if you book early. They also give you the option to pay your flight in installments...have never seen that before.

Having more info on the Porter move. Don't expect to see cross boarder flights anytime soon. All cross board still has to go through Toronto.

Calgary doe not look like they will get porter anytime soon as well. May be an agreement with WS

Having more info on the Porter move. Don't expect to see cross boarder flights anytime soon. All cross board still has to go through Toronto.

Calgary doe not look like they will get porter anytime soon as well. May be an agreement with WS
They announced service from YYC to YYZ this morning starting Feb 22.

Who recalls that short-lived Asia-YEG-US flight rumour from about 5yrs ago now? Does anyone know if there were any legs to that one? A friend of mine who is a pilot (now wide-body/long haul) stopped by for coffee today en route to skiville and said that he had heard that it was going to be HK-YEG-JFK.

I recall that being one of the rumoured or perhaps more aptly described as a 'hope and a prayer' routes us forum folks were drooling over, but cannot remember for the life of me if this was actually something being considered or how far it got.

Was this pure speculation and fantastical desire or legitimately a possibility?

Assuming cargo played an important role on that if it was going to happen?

777 or A340-?

Anyone?

Back