News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

With the All Star Break well and truly underway, I expect to see a lot of movement in the NHL, just as we had last year. GM's have time to negotiate and make deals, unlike while games are happening as they need to travel, deal with roster movement, and attend games.

We've already seen the first of these moves as Calgary moved pending free agent Elias Lindholm to Vancouver in exchange for Andrei Kuzmenko, this year's first round pick, conditional 4th round pick (becomes a 3rd if Vancouver makes the WCF), and prospects Hunter Brzunstwicz and Joni Jurmo.

As of right now, I really like this trade for Calgary, Lindholm is a solid player, but hasn't been the top-line 2 way sniper he was in 2021-22 in a couple seasons now. Kuzmenko's lack of production this year mostly has to do with a lack of ice time. For some reason, Tocchet doesn't like him and as a result his playing time has plummeted as has his production. Not only did they get Kuzmenko, but they also get all those futures as well. As of now I'm going to label Calgary the trade winner.

However, if Lindholm is able to get back to his play of a couple seasons ago in Vancouver, which is possible considering the talent he'll likely be playing with in Vancouver, it would be more of a win-win scenario.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Kuzmenko will be traded again before the deadline, Calgary was on his NTC as he needed to wave it so he doesn't want to play there. Also Calgary is looking like they won't be playoff bound this year. The Oilers and Canucks were among the front runners to land Kuzmenko when he was a free agent from the KHL, I wouldn't be surprised if we start hearing about Kuzmenko to Edmonton rumors.

With the All Star Break well and truly underway, I expect to see a lot of movement in the NHL, just as we had last year. GM's have time to negotiate and make deals, unlike while games are happening as they need to travel, deal with roster movement, and attend games.

We've already seen the first of these moves as Calgary moved pending free agent Elias Lindholm to Vancouver in exchange for Andrei Kuzmenko, this year's first round pick, conditional 4th round pick (becomes a 3rd if Vancouver makes the WCF), and prospects Hunter Brzunstwicz and Joni Jurmo.

As of right now, I really like this trade for Calgary, Lindholm is a solid player, but hasn't been the top-line 2 way sniper he was in 2021-22 in a couple seasons now. Kuzmenko's lack of production this year mostly has to do with a lack of ice time. For some reason, Tocchet doesn't like him and as a result his playing time has plummeted as has his production. Not only did they get Kuzmenko, but they also get all those futures as well. As of now I'm going to label Calgary the trade winner.

However, if Lindholm is able to get back to his play of a couple seasons ago in Vancouver, which is possible considering the talent he'll likely be playing with in Vancouver, it would be more of a win-win scenario.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Kuzmenko will be traded again before the deadline, Calgary was on his NTC as he needed to wave it so he doesn't want to play there. Also Calgary is looking like they won't be playoff bound this year. The Oilers and Canucks were among the front runners to land Kuzmenko when he was a free agent from the KHL, I wouldn't be surprised if we start hearing about Kuzmenko to Edmonton rumors.
Wouldn't shock me either, but I don't know if Kuzmenko would necessarily be an addition worthy of his price tag, both in terms of cap space and trading block.

Solid argument but don’t want him or need him. His 5.5M is steep for a rental as we’d have to give our rivalry to the South a ton of prospects and picks…….

I don't think they should get him either, I just think that we will hear rumors. He wouldn't be a rental though, contract runs through 24-25 so it would be for the rest of this year plus next. Would hate to have to resign him when Leon's new deal kicks in though (I'm assuming he's resigning, we've already heard negotiations will start when FA period starts this year). I'd prefer the Oilers target positions of need ie: backup goalie and a right handed defenseman, it would be nice to add a top 6 RW but it isn't a necessity as Warren Foegele is filling that role just fine right now (who knows how long he keeps that up though).

Last edited:
What a matchup to kick the second half of the season off, with the Oilers heading into Vegas to try and keep their streak going and match the longest winning streak in NHL history.

This is going to be a very real test for this Oilers team and should give us an indication of how much they want 'it' this year.

I'm going to say a 5-3 Oilers win (empty net), but a very tight 4-3 overall game, with Vegas going up 1-0 early.

GO OILERS GO!

Twas a good run, pretty even game, but man both teams looked (all-star break) hungover.

I don't recall a game with that many turnovers, bouncing puck and very poor d-zone plays.

29 looked terrible last night.

Aiden Hill looked amazing.

Can he be any more perfect?

“You forget sometimes how bad you hate losing. It’s a good reminder,” Oilers captain Connor McDavid said after the game.

Last edited:
Adin Hill saved their bacon. Plus Bouchard hit the post on the powerplay and McDavid hit the bar. Very easily could have gone the other way. Oilers were the better team, but not by much. It's sad to see the streak come to an end but I'm looking forward to seeing how the team responds to this loss. The Oilers had another lengthy (not this lengthy though) winning streak earlier in the year (8 in a row if I remember correctly), then proceeded to drop a few in a row. I expect the team to be angry after that loss and take it out on Anaheim. Connor looked mad after the L, which is usually a bad sign for other teams. I expect a schlacking on Friday, I'm thinking 7 or 8 to 1 type of deal. Anaheim is very bad and McDavid is pissed.

I don't recall a game with that many turnovers, bouncing puck and very poor d-zone plays.
It wasn't a pretty game, for sure. Didn't feel like two cup contenders playing.

29 looked terrible last night.
He hasn't been on a good run this season, save for one of two games here and there. I think the whole renewal thing might be affecting his mindset. Also, heard through the grapevines that he's nursing a mild shoulder injury. Don't know how much truth is in this, but it does make sense to me.

Aiden Hill looked amazing.
He operated a few miracles in the game. He's definitely making his case for being the starter goalie for Team Canada in the 4-nations and 2026 Olympics.

Overall, the positives are that we lost, but played better (even though not by much). Skinner only let 2 in again, and none of them were his fault.
The negatives are, obviously, losing, and how demotivated the guys seemed in the 2, 3 minutes after the second goal. Don't know why they were like that, especially after being a team to come back from 2 behind multiple times over the streak, but it was concerning.

Back