News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

^^you are thinking of Vivo, no?

^our first 20-30 are so very frustrating with little finish and urgency.

A pretty good analysis from here on in:

"Their overall record is likely still a bit under where they projected it would be at this time of year,"

Perhaps, although it's still a better record than 3 of the Oilers teams that went on to win a Stanley Cup in the 80s. Even if you're performing at your best in the regular season doesn't necessarily translate - see Boston 2023 and the Oilers in the 80s.

Playoffs are a different beast. RNH has career season last year and then in 12 playoff games had one goal in 12 games and was virtual pointless vs. VEGAS and was -6. Who saw that coming?

Very much a different beast and often dependent on 1-2 x 2nd or 3rd line guys coming up big, along with stellar goaltending.

^^you are thinking of Vivo, no?

^our first 20-30 are so very frustrating with little finish and urgency.
Yup! Ot was VIVO! Whatever happened to them? That was a very very short loved DT venture. I think they are still open on Lessard - no?

What a travesty of a refereeing performance tonight. 7 straight St Louis powerplays, the last 3 or 4 calls total BS. You usually see them avoid calling chippy penalties when they've already given a team a number of powerplays in a row, apparently not tonight. The Oilers scored the goal to make it 5-3 and then they called another absolute joke of a penalty on Holloway. What an embarrassment to the league. The refs made a mockery of the game of hockey tonight.

Congrats to McDavid but the team still needs to find out who's been bringing press clippings back into the dressing room and get him or her banned again..

The Oilers since the All Star Break have come back down to earth a bit. A lot of people will overreact to this, but I think it's really nothing to be too worried about. They were due a couple losses and they've had them now. The goaltending has come back down to earth especially and the defense has faltered a bit too. Overall though I think the effort level looks as though it's dropped off a bit since the break. I wouldn't mind making a move in the next little bit to shake things up a bit, bigger than signing Perry. I'd like to either get an upgrade on Ceci, a backup goalie, or a middle-6 right winger.

In terms of ideal players for each of those holes: for the defenseman, I think Chris Tanev is the ideal player for what we need. He's basically like Cody Ceci deluxe. It may be difficult to make a move with the Flames, but it's happened in the past and if the deal is good enough, at the end of the day, business is business and if you refuse to trade with certain teams because they're your rivals, you're going to be missing out on potentially mutually beneficial moves. Barring a minor miracle, the Flames aren't making the playoffs and have already shown with the Lindholm trade, they're in sell mode right now.

For the goalie: I like Karel Vejmelka on Arizona, he's not going to set the world on fire and go and steal games, but has been very, very consistent over the course of his career, hovering right around .900 for pretty much his whole career. He's also played on a fairly awful team. I think he's the perfect backup, thanks to his consistency.

For the forward: Call me a romantic but I'd love to see a Jordan Eberle reunion. Seattle isn't totally out of the playoff race, but I don't expect them to crawl back in before the deadline, so I expect them to be selling as well. Eberle is a very solid player who would slot in very nicely on the second line. I'm not sure what the package for him would look like but it would probably be the biggest of any of these.

In terms of what to trade away, I think any trade has to include 3 things: Philip Broberg (wants out, has built his value recently), 1st or 2nd round pick (2nd for Vejmelka, 1st for the other two), cap dump (ideally Campbell, but I don't see anyone taking him on, probably Cody Ceci, I've heard Kulak and Foegele mentioned, but personally I think these guys are way more valuable than their stats would indicate, meaning you're not going to get the return for them that they're worth)

4-3 OT win over Dallas.

A back and forth game that was a good watch pretty much from beginning to end, particularly for an Oilers afternoon game.

Not a perfect game but it was good to watch them play "from the dressing room and those in it" and not from the press clippings. Looking forward to more of the same.

Twas a fun game to watch.

#2 with his best game of the year.

Pickard wanted 1, maybe 2 of those back, but generally was good enough against a tough team.

Rumor of the day:
If Mark Hunter is not selected to be the GM of the Blue Jackets then he could be the next GM of the Oilers once Ken Holland's contract has expired after this season.

My thoughts on the Dallas game:

Great game between two great teams. I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being a 2nd or 3rd round playoff matchup and I'm here for it. Pickard played good enough to win, but wasn't outstanding, the third goal in particular was quite weak, he made the initial save but left the rebound in a prime location to be knocked in for a solid three count, he had to kick that to the corner. The Oilers played extremely well defensively in the 1st and 3rd, 2nd was meh. The penalty kill was once again awful:

The Oilers biggest issue right now is the PK, this team cannot kill a penalty to save their lives right now. I suspect Connor Brown has played his last game at least for a while. He was valuable as a penalty killer but really hasn't been that great even at that over these last few games and we already know that he isn't exactly doing a whole lot in other areas either. Give him a few games to sit. I have no problem bringing in someone like James Hamblin, or sticking with Gagner when Holloway gets back from illness and letting Brown sit.

Speaking of Holloway:
Since coming back from injury this guy has played excellent imo. I really like the confidence he's playing with. He's got great speed and great hands. I'd love to see him find a home on Draisaitl's wing. Too bad he had to sit out last game, but it was just due to illness so I suspect he'll be back next game.

I think we've seen since the streak ended that the Oilers need a finisher. Someone who can play up and down the lineup, either to add a scoring punch to the third line or jump onto the top line. I think the Oilers really only have 3 "snipers" who are able to really rip the puck: Draisaitl, Bouchard, Kane (who's incredibly streaky). Everyone else generates lots of chances, but has trouble finishing once they get into dangerous spots. The duo of McCleod and Foegele are the perfect example: speedy, decently good hands, vision and playmaking but no finish.

I see a few options here:

Vladimir Tarasenko: A name I've seen coming up more and more recently. He's had a bit of a down year, but still is a decent player has 14 goals on the season and could add some scoring touch to a line with Foegele and McCleod, or could join Draisaitl.

Anthony Duclair: I think this could be a sneaky good add. He hasn't had a great season, but is playing on one of the worst teams of this generation, with literally no talent around him. Duclair has been known as a flashy offensive player who doesn't do a whole lot else, but I think his game has matured a lot over the past few seasons and I think he'd slot in nicely on that third line I was talking about before. He could also fit into the top 6 as well if needed.

Dominik Kubalik: Solid 3rd line player, probably wouldn't cost all that much to get.

Frank Vatrano: Has been playing out of his mind this season. As a result, they'd likely have to overpay for him. However, I've liked this guy's game for a long time. Basically the definition of what I'm looking for for the Oilers as a middle 6, shot first finisher.

Jake Guentzel: Definitely the most unlikely. Pittsburgh is not entirely out of the playoff race and so I'd be surprised if they were actually looking to trade Guentzel, but you never know. He would easily cost the most to get. Also, forget about him playing on the third line, he's going with either Connor or Leon (ideally Leon) and that's the end of it. He's an elite finisher, has struggled a bit with injury over the course of his career but is a great player when healthy.

Jordan Eberle: I'd honestly love to see an Eb's reunion with the team. Not exactly known for being a finisher but, is no slouch in that department either.

Screenshot_20240218-184311_Samsung Internet.jpg

Back