News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

And that is on top of natural growth, which should be at around 1%. All in c we're looking at roughly 50k more people in 2023, and I doubt the trend will slow.

At the current rates, we'll probably be hitting the 1.3M in the city proper by late 2025/early 2026, and 1.7M by the end of the decade. I wouldn't be surprised if the actual numbers were higher, especially as interprovincial migration increases and Calgary becomes more and more expensive. It wouldn't shock me if we hit closer to 1.8M by 2030. I feel like we'll definitely reach 2M WAY before the originally forecast of 2040. My bet is 2032.

It's crazy to think that when I first moved here, in 2019, the CMA hadn't hit 1.4M yet.
Crazy to think that when I moved here in 1967 the population was 450,000

... and if you look at todays inflation rates, one of the lowest rates of any major cities. I feel current this immigration is more sustainable as it is not based on the ups and downs of the oil economy

... and if you look at todays inflation rates, one of the lowest rates of any major cities. I feel current this immigration is more sustainable as it is not based on the ups and downs of the oil economy
That’s (inflation rate) largely due to the fact our housing hasn’t exploded and we often have some of the cheapest gasoline costs.

Edmonton’s commitment to building housing is paying off. Lets hope we can maintain it.

https://www.macrotrends.net/cities/20373/edmonton/population

Interesting to see how fast Edmonton was growing in the 50s and 60s. hell when I was born the pop was 278000
That's an interesting website, when I was born the Metro was a bit over 850,000. It's wild to think the city's population has nearly doubled in my lifetime and I'm not very old.

I'm excited personally and really want this growth to translate to more opportunities here. As far as I'm concerned come and help us build a better city.

All I see
That's an interesting website, when I was born the Metro was a bit over 850,000. It's wild to think the city's population has nearly doubled in my lifetime and I'm not very old.

I'm excited personally and really want this growth to translate to more opportunities here. As far as I'm concerned come and help us build a better city.
All I see when i look at these charts is an area of over 3 million people that should be selling itself as the Calgary/Edmonton corridor.

All I see

All I see when i look at these charts is an Area of over 3 million that should be selling itself as the Calgary/Edmonton corridor.

Calgary really does not want to promote Edmonton and I suspect vice versa. Probably Red Deer really does not want to promote either.

Each place is geographically distinct, has their own characteristics and the marketing is different for each.

Each place is geographically distinct, has their own characteristics and the marketing is different for each.

Exactly my point! Stronger as a whole, despite what each municipality wants.

If the province was smart they would connect it all by rail and market the corridor. Its literally the one of the most wealthy and dense population areas for 1000’s of km.

From a cbc article.
The Edmonton-Calgary corridor accounts for six per cent of Alberta's land area, the report notes, but is home to nearly 78 per cent of the population, making it "the most urbanized area of the province."

By 2051, it's expected that 81 per cent of Albertans will live within the corridor.

But we know why this doesnt happen
a) Calgary/Banff eats up so much money and space b) the rural base would loose its collective *#}+

Last edited:
Bad idea. People want to invest in cities, not abstract corridors.
Are you telling me that business decisions dont rely on the census information of “abstract” areas.

Is it really abstract if it is easily definable, and interconnected by near continuous communities, economic joint intreats, investment and one of the busiest transport corridors in canada.

it seems pretty definable to me, so
definable it has wiki pages not to mention government reports about it. I mean even the GoA acknowledges it as a thing, and we all know how hard that can be for them at times.

Back