News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

What do you believe should be done on the Eglinton Corridor?

• Do Nothing

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • Build the Eglinton Crosstown LRT as per Transit City

Votes: 140 36.9%
  • Revive the Eglinton Subway

Votes: 226 59.6%
  • Other (Explain in post)

Votes: 8 2.1%

• Total voters
... uh, I guess ... but there's been absolutely no discussion of this happening from anywhere other than a few folks in this forum. And there's been a lot of talk of getting rid of ICTS on the SRT ... so I'm not sure the point in discussing - outside of some fantasy or alternate reality thread.

http://www.nowtoronto.com/news/story.cfm?content=165568
http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7011713707
http://stevemunro.ca/?p=943
http://stephenrees.wordpress.com/20...promises-plenty-but-pays-for-precious-little/
http://www.urbantoronto.ca/showpost.php?p=196045&postcount=1

Thanks for doing this as well. Of course, this is all from last year. Is there any more recent indication that anyone is aware of that ICTS is still an option?

Well, it being an option would be defined either in the Environmental Assessment, if they are doing a full one, or in the preliminary feasibility study, if they are doing the compress transit environmental assessment. Given Metrolinx has full control over the lines, the TTC directed EAs may not be used as the final planning inquiries about the line before it is built.

You can see more about the 'fight' for design control here, with Giambrone thinking projects should flow up from the TTC, to City Council then to Metrolinx. There is no reason however the decisions couldn't be done the other way, like with GO lines and the Airport Link, especially with the city having no skin in the game on the funding side with Transit City.

Well, it being an option would be defined either in the Environmental Assessment, if they are doing a full one, or in the preliminary feasibility study, if they are doing the compress transit environmental assessment. Given Metrolinx has full control over the lines, the TTC directed EAs may not be used as the final planning inquiries about the line before it is built.
Agreed, and if we see a fresh EA started up, we'll know that something is going on. But as of this moment, there seems to be no evidence that - despite the historic interest Metrolinx has had in doing an ICTS - they are actually going to push for this. It would have to happen fast; Eglinton will be under construction sometime next year.

These are all from 2008;and pre-date the funding announcement.

Perhaps I should have said that there is no recent discussion.

Agreed, and if we see a fresh EA started up, we'll know that something is going on.
The EA is still scheduled to start in November or December. I don't see that the EA start would have any relation use of ICTS.

Last edited:
Even the TTC doesn't find running the 34 bus past Kennedy outside of peak periods worthwhile. There must be a reason why the services that continue past the end of Eglinton are considered an acceptable level of service. Likely not many continuing passengers.

...because of all the non-Eglinton routes (like the 116 Morningside for example) that run on this segment. It's a ridiculous transfer. And it slows down the other routes, which could run as express if they didn't have to provide local service along Eglinton.

...because of all the non-Eglinton routes (like the 116 Morningside for example) that run on this segment. It's a ridiculous transfer. And it slows down the other routes, which could run as express if they didn't have to provide local service along Eglinton.

The 86 runs many of its buses as express during peak hours along eglinton, the 116 has express buses as well.

The 116 doesn't really feel like express along this stretch, I'll say that.

It's a non-stop service south of Kingston/Morningside. The 116E clocks 20 minutes outbound from Kennedy Stn to UTSC, but the elongated inbound trip makes it somewhat slower but not by much, roughly only 25 minutes. I usually get a perk up witnessing our bus swoop by folk stranded along Eglinton awaiting a way into Kennedy.

If you have the article headlines I can pull them.

It's all good, as others mentioned I don't think there's been much public discussion since 2008, I was just responding to the assertion that "here's been absolutely no discussion of this happening from anywhere other than a few folks in this forum." (which was since clarified :) ) Maybe some ICTS or at least automated LRT analysis will pop up in the Metrolinx BCA? (which was supposed to come in January 2009!). IIRC the increased cost of Eglinton and the delays also raised suspicion earlier that it might not be on-street LRT.

Last edited:
I was just responding to the assertion that "here's been absolutely no discussion of this happening from anywhere other than a few folks in this forum."
I've already noted that I should have referred to recent discussion, and have edited the post accordingly ... do we still have to go on about this? I did use the present tense initially afterall ... :)

Given that all the talk is that they are looking at converting the SRT to LRT, that should give an indication of how little chance ICTS will resurrect itself in this particular project.

Back