News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

What do you believe should be done on the Eglinton Corridor?

• Do Nothing

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • Build the Eglinton Crosstown LRT as per Transit City

Votes: 140 36.9%
  • Revive the Eglinton Subway

Votes: 226 59.6%
  • Other (Explain in post)

Votes: 8 2.1%

• Total voters
A full subway line on Eglinton will work, mostly because the spacing of the stations will be much further apart than that of Bloor line- making travel to the Yonge line - and consequently downtown, much faster.

I think since the time estimates for the Eglinton LRT have been release the question has changed to: how would a subway benifit the corridor that an LRT line wouldn't?

LRT
-its slower, much slower
-more prone to delays from weather and such
-lower capacity, thus cannot accomodate future growth as much as a subway

lrt is not that much slower. Subway with bd style station spacing goes at 28-30km/hr, while lrt would be 25. Lrt could easily grow to accomodate demand.

All you need are longer coupled trains. Weather could certainly cause problems. Bottom line is we are getting lrt that is funded vs a subway dream that is not.

lrt is not that much slower. Subway with bd style station spacing goes at 28-30km/hr, while lrt would be 25. Lrt could easily grow to accomodate demand.
Umm no, Subway's lowest speed would be 30 km/h, while average LRT would be about 22. So LRT's about 2/3 of the speed of subway. That's a pretty huge difference.

I've had my initial quarrels with Transit City but if you ask me now, I think it's a master move by David Miller.

Where a Toronto mayoral term is marked by one subway project -- if any -- David Miller has put in place a plan to cover the entire city in right-of-way light rail transit. He got it funded and it's going ahead. Think about that again for one second: The entire city will have access to dependable, predictable transit.

Most of these lines can later be upgraded to meet demand, by either ordering longer trams or by tunneling under the existing ROW to build subway lines.

In the meantime, we're not left without badly needed transit waiting decades for a system to be built piecemeal.

I've had my initial quarrels with Transit City but if you ask me now, I think it's a master move by David Miller.

Where a Toronto mayoral term is marked by one subway project -- if any -- David Miller has put in place a plan to cover the entire city in right-of-way light rail transit. He got it funded and it's going ahead. Think about that again for one second: The entire city will have access to dependable, predictable transit.

Most of these lines can later be upgraded to meet demand, by either ordering longer trams or by tunneling under the existing ROW to build subway lines.

In the meantime, we're not left without badly needed transit waiting decades for a system to be built piecemeal.

Upgraded later at higher expense, not to mention a waste of the funds spent to put a band-aid on what are serious traffic/congestion/transferring issues. We also have no guarantees on perdictability nor reliability if upto now the TTC has yet to figure true surface transit signal priority. People in southern Etobicoke waiting on the 501/508 car can see right in front of them the scheduled times for their streetcar to arrive and yet wait upto half-hour spells before one appears. Meanwhile several 110 buses arrive then head back toward the subway.

Then there is also the issue of TC lines missing nodal areas when they are relatively closeby for direct access. SELRT in relation to Malvern Town Centre or Centennial College for instance. The linearity of the routes along with them being hankered down with too many minor stops, will make them unattractive for long-haul commuters. I really would like to share in your belief that Transit City will do all that it promises but I'm skeptical.

But as for ECLRT being ready in less than a decade, think again. It's being built in phases, the first done in 2016 and the last in 2020 (assuming construction doesn't incur several delays a la the St Clair line which wasn't even starting from scratch). A Pearson-Don Mills Eglinton subway, 19 kms could feasibly be built in roughly that same timeframe and be more useful to the public for crosscity commutes afterwards.

I think LRT lines should be added to the TTC subway map. St. Clair Line for example.

Subway maps are for rapid transit, not buses on rails.

Then explain why is the SRT up on there? :rolleyes: Miller, Giambrone, Mihevic and Munro's constant self-congratulatory chest-bumping and Get 'er Dun thumbs-upmanship will see everything from a streetcar line to the Zoo (the same attraction that couldn't lure enough weekend patrons during summertime to keep the 194 bus running) to the go-slow 501 car to the new LRVs on Unwin become paint thrown on a canvas to be mistaken by the ignorant as art.

C'est la vie!

The SRT is hardly light rail. Depending on definition it's a medium capacity system or a light metro. That's why it should be on the map.

I fail to see how these LRT's are all that different than streetcar services with the exception of slightly higher speeds and stop spacing. In reality, very few riders are going to go out of their way to ride one of the LRTs. Nobody on Finch East (past Don Mills) is going to travel down to Sheppard to take the SELRT and the Sheppard Subway to get to the Yonge line.

The Eglinton LRT is the only one of the bunch that in my books really has some merit and potential...ironically, most likely because of its cross-town function which would have been done better as a subway. But LRT here is not all that bad if they don't screw it up. I am really curious to see how they'll manage the on-surface and sub-surface operations and prevent problems from one screwing up the other one.

It wouldn't surprise me if instead of installing fare dispensing machines and fare collection machines the TTC had people sitting on chairs at stops or inside each door will old school glass fare boxes.

I wouldn't put it past the ATU to propose that.

SRT actually deserves to be on that map because it's completely grade-separated and basically is a lower-capacity subway above-ground LOL.

It wouldn't surprise me if instead of installing fare dispensing machines and fare collection machines the TTC had people sitting on chairs at stops or inside each door will old school glass fare boxes.

As long as they're there, could we get them to say "Achtung! Die Tueren schliessen"? Over and over again? (Do they still have those guys in the Berlin U-Bahn?)

Back