News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Captain John Slattery, 48th Highlanders, reminds me of the character Harry Andrews played in The Ruling Class - though I trust he didn't come to a similar end.

ah yes, the 13th Earl of Gurney...not touching that--kilt or no kilt!

7c5c6441.jpg

1843e06f.jpg

Love the trees, the flapper and the car....

glengroveyonge1929.jpg

yes that girl would have been 'the bees knees' in 1926! small brim cloche hat, belted wool coat with fur collar...
the full on flapper look didn't really emerge until the mid-20's so, by Toronto standards she is definitely 'the cat's meow'!
the avenue of trees is lovely--they are long gone of course, but many of the houses remain...
37a7ec02.png

Old Glengrove is one of the only examples I can think of where coniferous trees were used as "street" trees,species that you'll never see today on the City's Urban Forestry approved species list. What a great effect they had, like a row of columns in an ancient city.

Since the houses were built considerably later than the trees were planted, was Glengrove the approach to an earlier estate, or a more important street, at one time?

Sure looks it when you compare the McGill map to the 1910 Goad (good find, wwwebster!):

glengrovemap.jpg

How interesting; Duplex avenue was named Chancellor street. And it dead ended at what we locals call Glenview ravine. UTer nomoreatorontonian emailed me mentioning that the present earth berm carrying Duplex over the ravine was built up from subway construction tailings.

At one point the north side of Glengrove was 'Glen Grove Park' - including fairgrounds, race track, lacrosse games...

Great selection as usual, deepend. These in particular remind me of William Morris' dystopian view of the industrial city, which he described as "sordid, aimless, ugly confusion". Perhaps a bit harsh, but the combination of the gray skies, polluted river and landscape are quite depressing.

"Another interesting character from Toronto's history. Captain John Slattery, 48th Highlanders.
I wonder what the medal was for? QUOTE. Mustapha.

I will have my spy look into this!

Reguards,
J T

OK Gents. My spy having returned, and after a fine supper a The Wokker, he "spillied the entire table"!

(not really)

JOHN D SLATTER,
medal to his right: (the round one) N/W CANADA CAMPAIGN 1885.
medal to his left: LONG SERVICE MEDAL, COLONIAL AUXILLARY FORCES OFFICERS' DECORATION.
(20 YEARS SERVICE aka VD.)

ALSO THIS:
Encyclopedia of Music in Canada > BANDS > BIOGRAPHIES > SLATTER, JOHN

Added interest:
Residence, 30 Harbord Street Phone KI ingsdale 2702. (Bell - 1944)
18 Harbord Street. (1910 - Might's City Directory)
Queen Elizabeth II was/continues as THE COL IN CHIEF of the 48th.

Regards,
J T

Last edited:

Back