News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.2K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

Jul. 19, 2006. 01:00 AM
ROYSON JAMES

On a glorious summer day when the Muskokas beckon and the Bay St. executive is thinking about anything but profiteering and city-building nine years from now, Councillor Brian Ashton brings the gospel of Expo 2015 to the heart of the business district.
Surprisingly, 90 people attend the luncheon meeting of the Economic Club of Toronto to hear how the 2015 World's Fair could deliver $13.5 billion in new GDP, create 215,000 jobs, provide $8.4 billion in wages and salaries, release at least 80 hectacres of serviced land with an added value of over $500 million and build an estimated 1,900 affordable housing units.
All told, Ashton tells them at the club's dining hall in Commerce Court, a Toronto Expo will return $7 for every $1 invested. If they are impressed, we don't know. They ask just two questions and rush off to the next engagement.
Club President and CEO Mark Adler says Toronto's Expo bid still has to "fine-tune the message." The event is far away, few people know Toronto's bidding, and Expo is a world event that ranks a distant third to the Olympics and soccer's World Cup as a prized catch.
In short, "it needs to be explained," Adler says.
That's not good news for the World's Fair franchise. Depending on how you spin it, it may or may not be a crippling analysis of Toronto's chances.
The paradox of Expo 2015 is that, while Toronto has all the time in the world to explain it and get business and the public onside, the city has almost no time to get federal government approval, without which there is no bid. The city must file its bid by Nov. 3, 2006 to the Bureau International des Expositions (BIE), the Paris-based body of 98 voting nations that decide who hosts A class fairs every five years.
That pressing deadline may be a blessing in disguise, Ashton says, for it will force a quick answer from Ottawa. Let's say his optimistic outlook is spot on. We're still left with the reality that the signals from Ottawa are far from positive. Finance Minister Jim Flaherty is asking for a "business plan" that, if he means what he says, everyone knows cannot be prepared for an event that has no theme, a proposed site, no detailed plan and a ton of unanswered questions. Whatever Flaherty gets — either the blue sky forecasts from the consultant report or some other cobbled-together plan over the next two months — it is not the comprehensive examination that will come later.
Toronto is selling the future, its potential and capital as Canada's innovative centre of commerce and culture. If won, this would be the first such event in the province's history — unless you count next year's youth soccer World Cup, centred in Toronto.
Either the Harper government believes in Toronto or it doesn't.
The question is, Does Toronto have the right people speaking to the right ears in Ottawa? Does the city have anyone who has the ear of anyone of importance in the Prime Minister's Office? Not official communication — mayor to PM or mayor to finance minister — but fundraiser to party leader, rainmaker to party pollster? Mayor David Miller and Ashton and others travelled to Paris days ago to tell the BIE the city intends to bid for Expo 2015. Almost unable to contain their glee, the BIE still paused long enough to state the obvious. Toronto is a great candidate. But don't get excited until the federal government backs the bid. BIE rules stipulate that only a national government can submit a bid.
The World's Fair movement needs Toronto every bit as Toronto needs the World's Fair. Both sides have a ways to go before consummating the marriage.
Even to those who pay attention to such matters, it is increasingly difficult to recall the last great fair, the last Expo to get the world excited.
Was it Expo 67 in Montreal? Seville in 1992? It's hard to think of one since.
It's fair to say that if the BIE is to have any international relevance, it must get North American exposure. The USA doesn't host world fairs. Its membership was withdrawn in 2002 after Congress failed to pay its dues. Access to the huge American market rests through Canada or Mexico.
Ashton can read the tea leaves. The bid is winnable, if only Ottawa can be brought along.
"We can win it in Paris," says Ashton. "Can we win it in Ottawa?"

I always get a lot more done around the house when I know company's coming.

Montreal's gay village looked spotless last week when I visited - not that every homeless person was gone - but prior to the Outgames opening a week from now, rue Ste-Catherine has been transformed through that stretch and looks primed and ready to party.

Sorry BB, but I agree with tudarams; this city may need to bag a major bash.

When was the last time anyone went to a world's fair? 1967?

When was the last time it was in N. America? Toronto is within a day's drive from many major cities in the North East. An expo may be an added incentive for people to come to Toronto as we are so close, relatively speaking. Massive advertising would be required though, of course.

San Antonio 1968 - everyone remembers that one. Spokane 1974 wowed 'em. Knoxville 1982 - who could forget? Louisiana 1984 - whoooaaa, hold me back! Ah, yes, Vancouver 1986.

I admit that I would hate to see an architecturally dull expo take place here if we get the thing, and a number of recent ones have been dull dull dull that way.

I also agree that the golden age of expos is past. They used to introduce the latest and greatest of everything, but we get all the latest greatest crap everywhere immediately these days anyway.

The organizers will not only have to advertize heavily to make this thing work, they will have to be very creative and clever to create something worth advertizing in the first place.

If it all comes together, great. If not, bring on the World Boggle Championships.

Expo put Vancouver on the map for a lot of people and Canada Place seems like a nice legacy, though I haven't been there myself yet. Hopefully will be going in the fall, staying at the PanPacific at Canadian Place.

Who can say? Knoxville and San Antonio aren't exactly Toronto, and who really remembers what the economic and socio-historic circumstances were at the time? In a post-911 world with Americans travelling overseas less there are different forces at play. With, and only with, a massive and effective ad campaign, along with a concerted creative approach to an expo that might breathe some new life into the concept, it may be an opportunity for Toronto. If nothing else it may provide the impetus - or financing commitments - to truly shape the waterfront and the city's infrastructure.

I am all for Expo 15, but I question what the legacy would be. Vancouver got a convention centre. We already have one. Montreal got an island park and a subway - we already have both of those. Yes, it would force the federal and provincial governments to cough up a lot of money and get the waterfront plan finished in a much shorter timespan, but what would the lasting legacy be, other than what we are getting now, just over a longer period of time? What would the signature building/item/venue be?
I would want to see something spectacular as part of the 2015 Expo, or I fear it would be easily forgotten, or even overlooked before it even begins.
What do you think Toronto needs/should include as the showpiece to an Expo bid?

Michel Frappier, current head of the Ontario Media Development Corporation (OMDC), will as of August 1, be seconded to the Toronto 2015 World Fair Corporation as Chief Operating Officer.

I know him. A good addition to the organization.

garden of evil: Seville got a great Calatrava bridge out of their Expo... and that's more than simply analogous to what I would like to see Toronto get out of one. We need to connect up our waterfront access - mostly trail access - by a number of bridges, all the way from the Spadina area over to Cherry Street and the Portlands Channels, and get overall watersedge improvements along that entire length. Much of that is included in West 8's plan, and in the Docklands plans, and I don't think there's anything more important to that area than that, as those improvements would be the infrastructure lure to bring the rest of the redevelopment down to that area that the city needs.

Well if we get the government's support, I'd say Toronto is a shoe in to win this Expo. If Izmir,Turkey wins that would be terribly embarassing.

Back