News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Canada could handle a World Cup on its own. We don't need to share our bid with the USA. Additionally, we don't have to replace an expo bid with a World Cup ... we're likely getting it by default.

Canada is favoured by FIFA for 2014 and the more than likely winner. 2010 is for South America, Brazil being the only possible candidate and after that it's North America's turn. NA only having 2 countries, one of which has already hosted, Canada is the obvious choice.

With Toronto FC starting next year, we'll likely grow some talent able to bring Canada to the World Cup finals for 2010. Add to that the under 21 World Cup to be hosted here and you've got Canada as the inevitable host of FIFA World Cup 2014.

Wow. World Cup in 2014 and World Expo the following year. :D

2010 world is going to be played in south africa. that's already been decided. they're preparing as we speak. south america will probably be after that. and argentina is just as likely as brazil to host, possibly both. then maybe canada. 2018 at the earliest. we would need another 40,000 to 50,000 people stadium to make it happen. but by that time, a toronto NFL team will most assuredly come to town, and their purpose built stadium can be used for the tournament.

NA only having 2 countries, one of which has already hosted, Canada is the obvious choice.
Absolute Nonsense!

You may have forgotten the following nations:
Antigua & Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominica, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Grenada, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent, Trinidad & Tobago.

Mexico has of course already hosted too.

For some reason I doubt Haiti or Honduras will make the short list...

^Of course, but you would expect a senior forum member who presumably lives in North America to know that it consists of a lot more than 2 countries, that's just shocking!

Some people consider that to be Central America. Same continent, just a different mental space I suppose.

I do not argue that BB, but I'll just say that NAFTA isn't going to determine for everyone where their mental map of North America stops and Central America picks up.

Mexico's hosted it twice and no Central American or Caribbean country is going to get it, so they can be ignored.

Shouldn't it technically be South America's "turn" after Africa anyway?

The last host there was Argentina in '78.

South Africa in 2010
South America in 2014
Europe in 2018 (with 75% of soccer's money, 'turns' don't apply)

2022 -- Asia, USA, or maybe Canada

Australia are now talking about a WC bid for 2018 and given their hosting track record (Olympics and Rugby World Cup) and that they already have 8 out of the necessary 10 stadia I wouldn't bet against them.

Don't count out China. FIFA would love to tap into a a market of over a billion people, many of whom are soccer mad already. China has a number of new stadia already completed or under construction (like the National Olympic Stadium for the Beijing 2008 Games).

Toronto's Expo bid starting to look silly

Link to article
A grown-up game of broken telephone is making the city's Expo 2015 bid look silly and amateurish.

Federal Finance Minister Jim Flaherty said yesterday he has not received a business plan for the city's bid to host the world's fair.

"We're prepared to review a business plan when we see one," Flaherty said. "We don't get involved in these types of proposals without looking very hard at the business case."

Mayor David Miller disagreed with Flaherty.

"I'm sorry, that's not correct," Miller said upon hearing Flaherty's remarks. "The federal government civil service has helped developed the business plan. It's been on their desks for quite a long time."

Expo is budgeted to lose $700 million but bring in $5.3 billion in new tax revenue.

Back